Alaska cancels Bellingham Maui route

Old Jun 27, 19, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: alaska
yes because it was a lot of BC vacationers I scored first many , many times. too bad they can't fly to PDX as its a major hub as well, paine goes to PDX though.
flights are widely spaced to SEA from BLI so not great for connections
Old Jun 27, 19, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GuzziQuota View Post
yes because it was a lot of BC vacationers I scored first many , many times. too bad they can't fly to PDX as its a major hub as well, paine goes to PDX though.
flights are widely spaced to SEA from BLI so not great for connections
How do "widely spaced" flights affect connections? I would think it's a matter of scheduling the flights are the right times (i.e. they could still be widely spaced throughout the day, but the actual timing of the flights would determine the ability to connect to a wide variety of glights).
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
How do "widely spaced" flights affect connections? I would think it's a matter of scheduling the flights are the right times (i.e. they could still be widely spaced throughout the day, but the actual timing of the flights would determine the ability to connect to a wide variety of glights).
in a perfect world that would work, say with a route that has many flights. for a lot of connections BLI - SEA just doesnt work unless you like hanging out at SEA for many hours, sometimes more. yeah I'm a board room member but time is better spent elsewhere. I flew 6X to pittsburg this year, its better to just drive to seatac instead of BLI-SEA
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
I flew 6X to pittsburg this year, its better to just drive to seatac instead of BLI-SEA
Frankly, that is exactly what AS would prefer you and everybody else do.
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post
Well, the CAD is now down to $1.31 for $1 USD, compared to $1.37 a few days ago. It hasn't been doing well against the USD lately, so the exchange + taxes out of YVR probably just don't make much sense for BC'ers to cross the border and fly out of BLI.
You realize that you have your logic backwards? the CAD @ 1.31 (vs 1.37) means it's cheaper for Canadians to purchase US goods/services.
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Frankly, that is exactly what AS would prefer you and everybody else do.
I wouldn't agree. if that were the case they would just pull out of BLI all together. who knows, that may happen

I can see Allgiant expanding there
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Circumstances changed and AC has much more capacity now from YVR to Hawaii and the prices are comparable to those in the US so no reason for Canadians to go all the way to BLI to get to Hawaii now.
Actually there are quite a few reasons to fly from BLI for Canadians
  • It's actually closer than YVR for a lot of Metro Vancouver residents (probably something in excess of 1/2 million people are closer to BLI than YVR)
  • You avoid the US taxes on flights across the border for US domestic destinations (something like $40), as driving across the border is free
  • It's an easy airport to get in/out of.

My approach is to keep on Southwest as a perfect destination for them, especially after deciding not to serve PAE. They don't have to enter the Canadian market to enter the Canadian market, 3+ million people within an hour drive, no existing (daily) service to compete with to DEN/OAK/LAX (major Southwest hubs).

I would suggest that everyone just tweet to Southwest "How about serving BLI ?"
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
I wouldn't agree. if that were the case they would just pull out of BLI all together. who knows, that may happen

I can see Allgiant expanding there
AS can look back to the good old days when they were just competing with Allegient. They are supposed to start returning their first Airbus back to lessors this year with a couple more next year and they are losing 8 more Q400s with no MAX deliveries anytime soon. Thus their capacity will continue to shrink through next year and their competition is now DL/UA/AA/WN on multiple fronts. BLI is not going to be a priority for them going forward.
GuzziQuota likes this.
Old Jun 27, 19, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Because AS doesnít have banked hubs, if they donít have frequent flights in a given market, there are only a handful of connections that are well served from that market. Iíve felt this keenly out of both YLW and EAT (my two home-ish airports). I find that trying to fly AS to anywhere east just doesnít work. Iím currently on a trip in which it made more sense to drive five hours to GEG and fly GEG-DEN-Wisconsin than to drive one hour to YLW and fly YLW-SEA-MKE because of the infrequency and poor timing of AS options. The YLW-SEA flights are scheduled such that itís impossible to get to MKE without an overnight or 5+ hour layover in one or both directions.

So yes, in principle they could address this by banking SEA. But I doubt SEA has the gate or runway capacity to handle banking (a la the absurd banking UA has at DEN ó practically every city had a flight landing at 15:00 and departing at 15:45, plus or minus ten minutes, something Iím not used to since I rarely fly through a banked hub like DEN) anyway.
JPat likes this.
Old Jun 27, 19, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by CZBB View Post
You realize that you have your logic backwards? the CAD @ 1.31 (vs 1.37) means it's cheaper for Canadians to purchase US goods/services.
I think you have it backwards. 1 CAD = 0.76 USD. I think the exchange rate does affect this decision. Take a look at YVR to Hawaii fares - often much cheaper than domestic fares to Hawaii.
Old Jun 28, 19, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Bretmd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZBB You realize that you have your logic backwards? the CAD @ 1.31 (vs 1.37) means it's cheaper for Canadians to purchase US goods/services.
I think you have it backwards. 1 CAD = 0.76 USD. I think the exchange rate does affect this decision. Take a look at YVR to Hawaii fares - often much cheaper than domestic fares to Hawaii.
The C$ going from 1.37 to 1.31 means the Canadian dollar has gone UP in value (or the US$ down), as it takes fewer of them to buy a US$
When the Canadian dollar is at 1.31, it means I only need to spend C$131 (vs 137) to get US$100.

The built-in advantage to a carrier flying a purely US domestic route, vs an international route, as there's about $45 in US taxes to enter the USA on a flight.

Due to the (relatively) stable global oil price (although a bigger conflict Iran may affect that) the Canadian dollar hasn't changed much against the US in 5-6 years. When oil goes up in price, the CAD will follow, and when oil was close to $100/bbl, the CAD was close to par with the US Dollar.
Old Jun 28, 19, 2:18 am

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
The CAD was trading at $1.20ish only a year ago... so its still "high" for them to buy US products and air fares. But yes, it has gained some lost ground recently. Nornally its been hovering around $1.34 CAD for $1 USD. Now to get it to crawl closer to polarity!!!

(I have to keep an eye on the exchange rate as we have to update some tables in a server...)
Old Jun 28, 19, 3:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post
The CAD was trading at $1.20ish only a year ago... so its still "high" for them to buy US products and air fares. But yes, it has gained some lost ground recently. Nornally its been hovering around $1.34 CAD for $1 USD. Now to get it to crawl closer to polarity!!!

(I have to keep an eye on the exchange rate as we have to update some tables in a server...)
Huh?

The average annual USD to CAD exchange rate hasn't been below $1.27 in the last 5 years.

Old Jun 28, 19, 9:55 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by CZBB View Post
The C$ going from 1.37 to 1.31 means the Canadian dollar has gone UP in value (or the US$ down), as it takes fewer of them to buy a US$
When the Canadian dollar is at 1.31, it means I only need to spend C$131 (vs 137) to get US$100.

The built-in advantage to a carrier flying a purely US domestic route, vs an international route, as there's about $45 in US taxes to enter the USA on a flight.

Due to the (relatively) stable global oil price (although a bigger conflict Iran may affect that) the Canadian dollar hasn't changed much against the US in 5-6 years. When oil goes up in price, the CAD will follow, and when oil was close to $100/bbl, the CAD was close to par with the US Dollar.
I see your point. However, wonít the exchange rate need to be closer to parity for Bellingham flights to be both profitable for Alaska and priced attractively enough so enough Canadians are enticed to drive there?

If the exchange rates go back to 2010ish levels, Alaska would likely be able to charge much more (in USD) for these flights while still offering a larger value proposition for Canadian travelers.
Old Jun 28, 19, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Bretmd View Post

I see your point. However, wonít the exchange rate need to be closer to parity for Bellingham flights to be both profitable for Alaska and priced attractively enough so enough Canadians are enticed to drive there?

If the exchange rates go back to 2010ish levels, Alaska would likely be able to charge much more (in USD) for these flights while still offering a larger value proposition for Canadian travelers.
The advantage for Canadian travelers really doesn't have as much to do with the exchange rate as you might imagine. Costs for most airlines are mostly hard US$ costs (aircraft acquisition, global price of fuel etc). Certainly the appearance of a good deal when the C$ goes up has optical advantages, but you'll see CA-US flights drop in price as well (when priced in C$)

The advantages for BLI are
  • avoid US taxes on intl flights (which is why you'll never see BLI-PVR/SJD). This gives the US carriers out of BLI an instant $40 advantage. Also PFC/AIF are lower than YVR which saves a little more, as US airports are more highly subsidized by the government. Infuriatingly, the AIF (passenger Facility fee) at @YVR is an extra $5 on US flights to pay for a US pre-clearance facility at YVR; so despite that looking like a Canadian fee, it's in reality a US fee/tax. Driving across the border is (still mostly) free.
  • It's closer than YVR (or more convenient) for a significant chunk of the metro Vancouver population (probably 30% of the population, close to a million people). I live 70km from BLI and 30km from YVR, but in reality door to gate times are similar.
  • It's a nice airport
Flying for Fun likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: