Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Award one-way stopover airport restriction?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Hi, I am trying to figure out the stopover rule for one-way award travel. In this case, I am talking about all Alaska Airlines operated.

I will take one-way from Barrow (BRW) to Los Angeles (LAX). This is the confirmed travel. But thinking to take advantage of Alaska one-way stopover, so randomly add some additional routes after BRW-LAX without using addition miles (I live in Los Angeles area, to be exact, Orange County. SNA is actually closer and more ideal). Here are my questions.

1) I searched BRW-LAX-PDX and got the error message (Error Code-1580). However, If I searched BRW-LAX-HNL or BRW-LAX-JFK, it does provide some flights to select. So what is the logic behind?

2) If my stopover is SNA instead of LAX, it turns no results at all, even BRW-SNA-HNL. Does it mean the stopover has to be like the Alaska hub or any other reason?

3) If I have BRW-LAX-HNL and already take BRW-LAX, do I still get the chance to change LAX-HNL flight afterward? Like change different date or even change the destination city?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i believe the official rule is no change allow after award travel has started, but it depends. if you have elite status, it may be easier to make date change.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
1)
BRW-LAX is southbound.
LAX-PDX is northbound.
You're backtracking, and you can't do that. That's an open-jaw roundtrip. HNL and JFK work because they're east/west and LAX is a logical stopover point for those routes.

2) BRW-SNA-HNL doesn't work because there is no direct SNA-HNL flight. They all go through SFO/SJC/SEA which is... backtracking.

3) You can certainly SDC after award travel has started, and I believe you can even fully change the remainder of the ticket, subject of course to the $125 change fee. I'm unclear on if elite benefits will help here, outside of SDC.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:46 pm

3) You can certainly SDC after award travel has started, and I believe you can even fully change the remainder of the ticket, subject of course to the $125 change fee. I'm unclear on if elite benefits will help here, outside of SDC.
    Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
    Originally Posted by sudobuntu
    1)
    BRW-LAX is southbound.
    LAX-PDX is northbound.
    You're backtracking, and you can't do that. That's an open-jaw roundtrip. HNL and JFK work because they're east/west and LAX is a logical stopover point for those routes.

2) BRW-SNA-HNL doesn't work because there is no direct SNA-HNL flight. They all go through SFO/SJC/SEA which is... backtracking.

It isn't a matter of East/West, North/South, it is a matter of what AS allows as a valid routing between point A and point B.

You can most certainly can fly SFO-SEA and have a stopover in SEA (1 day, 2 days, 1 month, 6 months) before flying SEA-LAX for a grand total of 5K points. Ultimately, you are flying North to go South but this is a valid routing on AS for SFO-LAX. It can be purchased as revenue or on an award. Notice the 5K? You are paying for a hop award from SFO-LAX.

Use the regular one-way search between A and B to see how AS will route it. Check weekdays and weekends because every route may not be available everyday. You should be able to do a stopover at anyone of the connection cities along the route using the multi-city search.

James
    Yllanes and milypan like this.
    Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:44 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
    It isn't a matter of East/West, North/South, it is a matter of what AS allows as a valid routing between point A and point B.

You can most certainly can fly SFO-SEA and have a stopover in SEA (1 day, 2 days, 1 month, 6 months) before flying SEA-LAX for a grand total of 5K points. Ultimately, you are flying North to go South but this is a valid routing on AS for SFO-LAX. It can be purchased as revenue or on an award. Notice the 5K? You are paying for a hop award from SFO-LAX.

Use the regular one-way search between A and B to see how AS will route it. Check weekdays and weekends because every route may not be available everyday. You should be able to do a stopover at anyone of the connection cities along the route using the multi-city search.

James
    So, is the rule that if there is a revenue fare which has it as a valid routing, then that routing can be booked as an award?

I'm shocked that SFO-SEA-LAX is bookable as a valid routing for SFO-LAX. That seems abusable even as a revenue ticket (unless all fares that allow it are expensive)
    Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:42 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
    Just because the AS site allows something to be booked online does not make it a legal routing nor is the price at the correct amount. I think there is some phrase about gift horses? Just be happy when what you can get.
    Flying for Fun and sudobuntu like this.
    Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
    You can most certainly can fly SFO-SEA and have a stopover in SEA (1 day, 2 days, 1 month, 6 months) before flying SEA-LAX for a grand total of 5K points.
    Wow, color me intrigued. That's totally bookable.

It's weird, too, because the flights in cash are showing additive pricing of the two segments. It's certainly amusing to choose the 5k miles and get this alert in the cart:
    Total price for 1 passenger
    5,000 miles + $11.20
    Also available for:
    $191.59
    10,000 miles + $110.10
    Choices, choices....

Now I'm just disappointed that LAX-SEA(stop)-SAN is pricing at 12.5k, since that would have been an amazing opportunity at "Hop" pricing. Oh well.
    Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:29 am

Thank you for this post! I have just that itinerary coming up (OAK-SEA on Saturday, SEA-LAX on Sunday). It would never have occured to me that I could book it for 5k miles, but I have just done it. It's crazy, even without the status bonus miles, my SFO-PHL economy flight this weekend has given me enough miles for this itinerary (thanks to the current promotion for double miles in transcons).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.