Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus (EI) Awards and Redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS
We just booked AL international business for next spring.
2 seats HAM-LAX. There are at least 2 seats showing available everyday that week in June. Our final ticketing was 60,000 each and $250 total. Sure beats BA award pricing.
BA award flights for that week show Business /Mixed Cabin also for 60,000 miles. When you click on icon, Hamburg to London is in Business Class- (coach seats with middle left open) London to LAX was coach. Wow, not for those miles and fees!!
Our Routing is HAM/DUB in Y. All inter European flights are all economy. Agent gave us Exit Row seats for no fee. DUB-LAX in J- Was able to snag the 2 "throne" seats in Business Class. Seats 3K and 5K. (A320 metal)
Starting international segment in DUB seems also good because they have international Pre Customs in DUB and we will do it there. When we land at LAX, do not need to go through Customs again.
Keep trying...it is worth finding something that works.
You have to contact them for seat assignments. I did chat online and it worked brilliantly .

Last edited by pcoll; Jul 29, 2019 at 7:55 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by pcoll
We just booked AL international business for next spring.
Do you have the booking - including the DUB-LAX leg in business - confirmed? My understanding is that it requires the additional confirmation from AI before you really have a valid booking, and that typically takes 12-24 hours. So if you "just booked" and have not received that confirmation, you might want to proceed cautiously until you get it 100% confirmed. If you have, then tip 'o the hat to you and congrats.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by SimonT007
I'm wondering the same thing. I got the same message, called the desk and they said partners don't always update AS with the latest space. So I tried a bunch of different dates and times and go the same error message. It's very irritating when you see the flights available and yet none of them really are.The desk told me to try again in 24 hours, but I don't have much hope. I was hoping to book SEA to EDI and avoid the BA horrible surcharges.
I get the same error and called in and got the same response. The odd thing is that United also shows space (4 seats) on all of the same days so this doesn't seem like an Alaska issue. I haven't tried to book through United because I don't have enough miles for even 1 ticket, but Expert Flyer shows 0 seats for most of the dates.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by solstys
I get the same error and called in and got the same response. The odd thing is that United also shows space (4 seats) on all of the same days so this doesn't seem like an Alaska issue. I haven't tried to book through United because I don't have enough miles for even 1 ticket, but Expert Flyer shows 0 seats for most of the dates.
I suspect that virtually all the AI award inventory that shows up on both the Alaska and United websites is phantom. There are lots of complaints about the same thing over in the United forum (the way it fails when booking via United is just different - you attempt to book, the booking appears to go through but you get a message saying they need to confirm with Aer Lingus, then the next day you find the booking was rejected). I suspect that virtually all the Aer Lingus inventory you see (as shown Alaska or United) is fake (except maybe for the redemptions offered at 280,000 AS miles each way). I would love to be proved wrong about this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:33 pm

I think this is confirmation. Also, am able to log into Aer Lingus and Manage Travel- Booking and seat assignments are showing as confirmed.

I think this is confirmation.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:21 pm

Looks good - and the fact that you can log in and manage your flight details on the Aer Lingus website is obviously a very good sign. Congrats to you on getting this. I hope it's a sign of a positive trend. ^

FWIW, I flew to Dublin and back in business on Aer Lingus recently and found it a very nice way to go. Those "throne" seats are great if you can snag 'em.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
pcoll and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:17 pm

It does look like a few days have 1 seat available, but unfortunately, many days do not. And certainly the 4 seats UA and AS are showing are phantom.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by solstys
It does look like a few days have 1 seat available, but unfortunately, many days do not. And certainly the 4 seats UA and AS are showing are phantom.
You're seeing that (consistently) with an expert flyer search?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
You're seeing that (consistently) with an expert flyer search?
Yes, it's showing 0 seats for ~90-95% of the flights and 1 seat the rest of the time.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Booked SFO-DUB-CDG in J for next April on AS. No problem at all. Could check the itinerary on EI website too. Just can’t select seats online(have to call in to get the sweet 3K)
pcoll and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Booked SFO-DUB-CDG in J for next April on AS. No problem at all. Could check the itinerary on EI website too. Just can’t select seats online(have to call in to get the sweet 3K)
when I was El site, was able to do online chat with agent. After entering info he requested, he asked what seats we wanted and just took care of it. He even waited while I pulled up a seat map for Y portion to find correct exit row seats.
Just in case calling is a pain.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:11 pm

I have manually checked 100+ days using Alaska's website to see if any 60k business class seats were available for a SEA-DUB flight next summer'ish. There isn't a single one still available. They are all set at 280k. All of the 60k seats appeared to just disappear over night about week ago.

Is there an issue between Aer Lingus and Alaska's reservation system, did a group of people go out and purchase every available 60k seat for months, or is something else going on?

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
What it sounds like in some of the other threads is this was 99% phantom availability and the same thing was going on over at the UA site. Now all that is left is trips priced at $11,000 RT in miles. A new all time record for the worst value ever!
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:55 pm

Kind of panicked when I read what has happened to AL Awards and 280,000 for one way redemption. Quickly checked our AS account and flight still shows in our account. ��, sweating this one as it may be cancelled at some point.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
First, a comment... the IATA code for Aer Lingus is EI, not AL. Since nobody here seems thrilled when people inquire about Alaskan Air or other similar butcherings of the Seattle-based carrier, maybe it’s time to set the record straight on the proper abbreviation for Aer Lingus...

My question is whether others are having issues with EI awards breaking in DUB when they seemingly should allow a connection for the same cost. I see ATH-DUB available for 15k and DUB-SEA for 30k but if i pull up both together, the AS search tool shows a whopping 60k for these flights. I believe they should price at 30k, but at worst 45k, not at all sure why the tool shows 60k. Any similar experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.