FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Air Italy to codeshare with AS..... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1974372-air-italy-codeshare.html)

98103 Jun 17, 2019 7:50 am

Air Italy to codeshare with AS.....

I saw this and wondered if this might be partner 19.
Air Italy Adds 10 New destinations Through Agreement with Alaska
Connecting through IG gateways of JFK, SFO and LAX. Applies on selected flights to ANC, HNL, LAS, SEA, PDX, PSP, SAN, EWR, SJC and GDL.
I wouldn't be upset with another mileage partner.

eponymous_coward Jun 17, 2019 9:38 am

Great, another partner that AS will getting around to offering awards on sometime after the sun becomes a white dwarf...

PVDtoDEL Jun 17, 2019 10:22 am

I don't really see a deeper partnership in the cards.. Air Italy's financials are horrible, and I don't expect it to stick around too long.

safari ari Jun 17, 2019 12:12 pm

Guess my post was missed in the other thread, Partner Wish List, but I don't believe it'll expand either since they're essentially a quasi owned Qatar Airlines, plus they have cut routes just as fast as they have announced them. I also think they started passing on fees and such to award tickets, so this would be similar to BA (i think they use Avios, but could be wrong).

VegasGambler Jun 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 31211479)
I don't really see a deeper partnership in the cards.. Air Italy's financials are horrible, and I don't expect it to stick around too long.

Say you buy a codeshare, and the marketing / ticketing carrier goes belly-up before the travel date, but the operating carrier is still fine. Can you still use your ticket?

PVDtoDEL Jun 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 31211996)
Say you buy a codeshare, and the marketing / ticketing carrier goes belly-up before the travel date, but the operating carrier is still fine. Can you still use your ticket?

Generally, no. For all interline tickets (codeshare or not), the issuing/plating carrier doesn't pay the operating carrier until after the flight is flown. If the plating carrier isn't solvent, the operating carrier won't get paid.

Some operating carriers will fly passengers anyway, but they are under no obligation to. For example, when Jet Airways (9W) went bankrupt earlier this year, VS refused to accept tickets on 9W ticket stock, while AF did accept them. Not really sure why AF was willing to fly the passengers - it could be a customer service gesture, or it could be because AF owed 9W money and was able to credit the fares of the 9W passengers it flew against its debt.