AS643 (PHX - SEA) delayed 4+ hours

Old Jun 16, 19, 8:55 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska Airlines
Posts: 455
AS643 (PHX - SEA) delayed 4+ hours

AS643 was originally schedule to depart PHX at 7:25pm for the 2.5 hour journey home to SEA.

Our inbound flight, AS646 got about 1.5 hours into the flight then diverted back to SEA due to weather equipment failure.

It's now 7:45pm, AS646 has been on the ground over 1.5 hours. Customer service said they're doing an equipment swap.

Even with luggage, equipment swap, maybe even crew swap... Why is that turnaround in SEA going to take another hour?

Customer service told me as an aside that we probably really won't leave until after 1am, maybe 2am. That they're showing a pre-midnight departure only for operational reasons.

AS could've flown SEA - PHX - SEA - PHX in the time of the delay if that is true... Makes no sense.
nearlysober is offline  
Old Jun 16, 19, 9:57 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska Airlines
Posts: 455
Our inbound plane, AS646 is now scheduled to depart SEA at 10:48PM... A full 4 hours and 30 minutes after they returned to the gate in SEA.

Looks like the 2am departure time from PHX is accurate. Apparently AS is in no hurry
nearlysober is offline  
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:10 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SFO, mostly
Posts: 1,805
Don’t know the particulars of your situation, but perhaps the original crew timed out and they had to find a new one? If the crew is scheduled to go with the aircraft on both legs and do a turn (as opposed to a new crew flying phx-sea), the extra 2 1/2 hours in the air could have eliminated their ability to work the return trip. I agree it is too long for a simple equip swap.
sltlyamusd is online now  
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:12 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 31
Fiancée was orIginally booked on this one. Gate agents swapped her to the last Delta flight of the night. Unfortunate situation. Good luck down there!
Dawgshouse is offline  
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:13 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Programs: Alaska Airlines
Posts: 7
I have taken this late evening flight back from PHX so many times and delays are so common...first it was all the runway and terminal construction in Phoenix and then it's just been random delays.

I've been taking the 3:55pm flight to PAE instead of the SEA returns...hasn't been a single delay there.
jonfran21 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 19, 11:02 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska Airlines
Posts: 455
I realize a crew time out was extremely likely, just seems odd that it takes them 4+ hours to swap crew and metal in their hub.

Also frustrating that the inbound flight had been diverted, turned around, flew 1.5 hours and landed in Seattle BEFORE they alerted me my flight was delayed, at that point I was already at the airport.

Could've spent several more hours visiting family.
nearlysober is offline  
Old Jun 16, 19, 11:42 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska Airlines
Posts: 455
Talked to GAs to get a bit more details (been hiding in the UA Lounge). Looks like the delay in SEA was due to lack of available aircraft to swap to.

I would've thought with all the inbound aircraft to SEA they would've found one sooner... Oh well.

Will update yall when I hear what kind of compensation they offer.
nearlysober is offline  
Old Jun 17, 19, 1:57 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SFO, mostly
Posts: 1,805
Originally Posted by nearlysober View Post
Talked to GAs to get a bit more details (been hiding in the UA Lounge). Looks like the delay in SEA was due to lack of available aircraft to swap to.

I would've thought with all the inbound aircraft to SEA they would've found one sooner... Oh well.

Will update yall when I hear what kind of compensation they offer.
I wonder if they considered taking the 11 pm arrival from Seattle and turning it around rather than having it remain overnight. Would have gotten you guys underway sooner, although would have been a 738 as opposed to 739. Hope you are compensated well!
sltlyamusd is online now  
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:15 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Programs: Alaska Airlines
Posts: 7
Just checked this morning and saw this didn't take off til 3:45am!!!
jonfran21 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:45 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BUR/LAX
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post


I wonder if they considered taking the 11 pm arrival from Seattle and turning it around rather than having it remain overnight. Would have gotten you guys underway sooner, although would have been a 738 as opposed to 739. Hope you are compensated well!
The flight crew that arrives PHX at 11PM is scheduled to spend the night in PHX and most likely don't have the hours to go back.
northwesterner is online now  
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:51 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 9,942
Originally Posted by northwesterner View Post
The flight crew that arrives PHX at 11PM is scheduled to spend the night in PHX and most likely don't have the hours to go back.
The 7:25pm flight to SEA used to have a new crew out of PHX (don't ask my why). Perhaps AS has now changed that.
formeraa is offline  
Old Jun 17, 19, 10:30 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BUR/LAX
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
The 7:25pm flight to SEA used to have a new crew out of PHX (don't ask my why). Perhaps AS has now changed that.
I haven't lived in PHX for a few years but when I did, yeah, I noticed early evening departures out of PHX would get new crews. I believe these were often ANC based flight attendants who would continue on to ANC on one of the late evening departures out of SEA.

One set I was chatting with in the back galley - in February - on an early evening SEA-PHX said they loved this rotation because they didn't have to be back at the airport until after 5PM the next day, and they all brought their bathing suits to sit around the pool in PHX in Feb all day before they had to sign in.
northwesterner is online now  
Old Jun 17, 19, 1:52 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska Airlines
Posts: 455
Originally Posted by jonfran21 View Post
Just checked this morning and saw this didn't take off til 3:45am!!!
Yeah - that was a rough night.

Thankfully they kept the UA lounge open to 1:30AM (usually closes at 11:30PM) since they had some of their transcons delayed so at least had a little extra time in there.
I still find it odd that it took so long to find a replacement plane out of SEA... but the GAs in PHX were helpful and troopers, pulling some serious OT themselves.

For the portions where I was awake, the flight crew did a good job of being apologetic for the situation. They apparently only loaded some light snacks for the entire plane as a proper food delivery would've delayed things another hour - I think everyone on the plane agreed that was the right call.

Got an automated voucher a little bit ago for $150 as the delay was due to a mechanical issue on the plane that had to turn back.
nearlysober is offline  
Old Jun 19, 19, 10:45 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 9,942
What a long night and morning! Well, we have to remember that these things happen. At least, AS provided you with a voucher for the delay. Sometimes it's hard to "find" a plane during the busy summer season even thought the flight was originating at a hub airport. They have to find a plane that does not require overnight maintenance which might have been difficult, plus potentially a new crew if the previous one timed out. Depending on how AS operations were doing earlier in the day, they may have used their spare crews/aircraft earlier.
formeraa is offline  
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:38 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 13,102
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
... Sometimes it's hard to "find" a plane during the busy summer season even thought the flight was originating at a hub airport. They have to find a plane that does not require overnight maintenance which might have been difficult, plus potentially a new crew if the previous one timed out. Depending on how AS operations were doing earlier in the day, they may have used their spare crews/aircraft earlier.
this, x1000 ... IROPS recovery is never a simple thing
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
jrl767 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread