AS643 (PHX - SEA) delayed 4+ hours

Old Jun 16, 19, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines
AS643 (PHX - SEA) delayed 4+ hours

AS643 was originally schedule to depart PHX at 7:25pm for the 2.5 hour journey home to SEA.

Our inbound flight, AS646 got about 1.5 hours into the flight then diverted back to SEA due to weather equipment failure.

It's now 7:45pm, AS646 has been on the ground over 1.5 hours. Customer service said they're doing an equipment swap.

Even with luggage, equipment swap, maybe even crew swap... Why is that turnaround in SEA going to take another hour?

Customer service told me as an aside that we probably really won't leave until after 1am, maybe 2am. That they're showing a pre-midnight departure only for operational reasons.

AS could've flown SEA - PHX - SEA - PHX in the time of the delay if that is true... Makes no sense.
Old Jun 16, 19, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Our inbound plane, AS646 is now scheduled to depart SEA at 10:48PM... A full 4 hours and 30 minutes after they returned to the gate in SEA.

Looks like the 2am departure time from PHX is accurate. Apparently AS is in no hurry
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:10 pm

Don’t know the particulars of your situation, but perhaps the original crew timed out and they had to find a new one? If the crew is scheduled to go with the aircraft on both legs and do a turn (as opposed to a new crew flying phx-sea), the extra 2 1/2 hours in the air could have eliminated their ability to work the return trip. I agree it is too long for a simple equip swap.
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:12 pm

Fiancée was orIginally booked on this one. Gate agents swapped her to the last Delta flight of the night. Unfortunate situation. Good luck down there!
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:13 pm

I have taken this late evening flight back from PHX so many times and delays are so common...first it was all the runway and terminal construction in Phoenix and then it's just been random delays.

I've been taking the 3:55pm flight to PAE instead of the SEA returns...hasn't been a single delay there.
Old Jun 16, 19, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

I realize a crew time out was extremely likely, just seems odd that it takes them 4+ hours to swap crew and metal in their hub.

Also frustrating that the inbound flight had been diverted, turned around, flew 1.5 hours and landed in Seattle BEFORE they alerted me my flight was delayed, at that point I was already at the airport.

Could've spent several more hours visiting family.
Old Jun 16, 19, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Talked to GAs to get a bit more details (been hiding in the UA Lounge). Looks like the delay in SEA was due to lack of available aircraft to swap to.

I would've thought with all the inbound aircraft to SEA they would've found one sooner... Oh well.

Will update yall when I hear what kind of compensation they offer.
Old Jun 17, 19, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by nearlysober View Post
Talked to GAs to get a bit more details (been hiding in the UA Lounge). Looks like the delay in SEA was due to lack of available aircraft to swap to.

I would've thought with all the inbound aircraft to SEA they would've found one sooner... Oh well.

Will update yall when I hear what kind of compensation they offer.
I wonder if they considered taking the 11 pm arrival from Seattle and turning it around rather than having it remain overnight. Would have gotten you guys underway sooner, although would have been a 738 as opposed to 739. Hope you are compensated well!
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:15 am

Just checked this morning and saw this didn't take off til 3:45am!!!
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post

I wonder if they considered taking the 11 pm arrival from Seattle and turning it around rather than having it remain overnight. Would have gotten you guys underway sooner, although would have been a 738 as opposed to 739. Hope you are compensated well!
The flight crew that arrives PHX at 11PM is scheduled to spend the night in PHX and most likely don't have the hours to go back.
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:51 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by northwesterner View Post
The flight crew that arrives PHX at 11PM is scheduled to spend the night in PHX and most likely don't have the hours to go back.
The 7:25pm flight to SEA used to have a new crew out of PHX (don't ask my why). Perhaps AS has now changed that.
Old Jun 17, 19, 10:30 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
The 7:25pm flight to SEA used to have a new crew out of PHX (don't ask my why). Perhaps AS has now changed that.
I haven't lived in PHX for a few years but when I did, yeah, I noticed early evening departures out of PHX would get new crews. I believe these were often ANC based flight attendants who would continue on to ANC on one of the late evening departures out of SEA.

One set I was chatting with in the back galley - in February - on an early evening SEA-PHX said they loved this rotation because they didn't have to be back at the airport until after 5PM the next day, and they all brought their bathing suits to sit around the pool in PHX in Feb all day before they had to sign in.
Old Jun 17, 19, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonfran21 View Post
Just checked this morning and saw this didn't take off til 3:45am!!!
Yeah - that was a rough night.

Thankfully they kept the UA lounge open to 1:30AM (usually closes at 11:30PM) since they had some of their transcons delayed so at least had a little extra time in there.
I still find it odd that it took so long to find a replacement plane out of SEA... but the GAs in PHX were helpful and troopers, pulling some serious OT themselves.

For the portions where I was awake, the flight crew did a good job of being apologetic for the situation. They apparently only loaded some light snacks for the entire plane as a proper food delivery would've delayed things another hour - I think everyone on the plane agreed that was the right call.

Got an automated voucher a little bit ago for $150 as the delay was due to a mechanical issue on the plane that had to turn back.
Old Jun 19, 19, 10:45 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
What a long night and morning! Well, we have to remember that these things happen. At least, AS provided you with a voucher for the delay. Sometimes it's hard to "find" a plane during the busy summer season even thought the flight was originating at a hub airport. They have to find a plane that does not require overnight maintenance which might have been difficult, plus potentially a new crew if the previous one timed out. Depending on how AS operations were doing earlier in the day, they may have used their spare crews/aircraft earlier.
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
... Sometimes it's hard to "find" a plane during the busy summer season even thought the flight was originating at a hub airport. They have to find a plane that does not require overnight maintenance which might have been difficult, plus potentially a new crew if the previous one timed out. Depending on how AS operations were doing earlier in the day, they may have used their spare crews/aircraft earlier.
this, x1000 ... IROPS recovery is never a simple thing
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.

Search this Thread