US-YVR-US connections

Old Jun 16, 19, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
US-YVR-US connections

Due to pricing being better for an International trip, I have separate tickets purchased for SEA-YVR on Alaska and then my intl trip of YVR-DFW-LHR on AA. If I'm recalling correctly, I have to clear customs/immigration in to Canada and then 'depart' back out for boarding my flight to Dallas. What would people recommend for min connecting time for this? The earliest AS flight lands at 11AM and my departing flight is at 1PM. is 2 hours enough time? Or will I have to take a DL flight that lands at 9AM? I'd prefer to stay on AS but the timing makes me think I'll have to take DL.
Old Jun 16, 19, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
*edit* not cabotage*
Too risky of a connection time for separate tickets, it would be one thing if replacement flights were cheap at walkup fare by not connecting to long haul ticket

Last edited by CDKing; Jun 17, 19 at 6:43 am
Old Jun 16, 19, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mikelat View Post
Due to pricing being better for an International trip, I have separate tickets purchased for SEA-YVR on Alaska and then my intl trip of YVR-DFW-LHR on AA. If I'm recalling correctly, I have to clear customs/immigration in to Canada and then 'depart' back out for boarding my flight to Dallas. What would people recommend for min connecting time for this? The earliest AS flight lands at 11AM and my departing flight is at 1PM. is 2 hours enough time? Or will I have to take a DL flight that lands at 9AM? I'd prefer to stay on AS but the timing makes me think I'll have to take DL.
IMO, it doesn't matter if two hours is enough time for the double-immigration rigamarole, because you won't have that much time if something goes south at SEA that morning. And if that's the case, you'll be SOL if you don't get to your YVR-DFW gate before the door closes. Buy the earlier flight at the very least; honestly, I'd suggest heading up the night before if you can and getting some dim sum for dinner.
Old Jun 16, 19, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, National Executive Elite
For what you just described, Im almost positive youll have to clear in to Canada, then clear USA customs at YVR. My recollection from YVR (last there in November) is that upon deplaning from a USA flight you can either stay airside to connect to an international (non-USA) flight or get funneled in to Canada immigration.

That said, Canadian immigration at YVR is all automated now. I went PDX-YVR-YYJ on AC and it was maybe a 20 minute process, and that included a bus ride to the airside area of AC domestic departures. Returning YYJ-YVR-PDX, it was about 15 minutes to clear USA customs at YVR.

Where you are likely going to run in to trouble on timing is if you are checking luggage.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jun 16, 19, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
I believe this falls under cabotage violation? If so you may not be able to fly to Canada. Id give a lot more time for connection, say overnight to make it appear like a trip to Canada.
Cabotage laws prevent airlines from selling you Country A - Country B - Country A tickets. They don't prohibit you from assembling those itineraries yourself across multiple tickets.
Old Jun 16, 19, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
Cabotage laws prevent airlines from selling you Country A - Country B - Country A tickets. They don't prohibit you from assembling those itineraries yourself across multiple tickets.
A long long time ago, in a galaxy far away back when AS gave a rats patooty about serving YVR, there was a SAN-YVR-ANC same plane flight on AS.
Old Jun 16, 19, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not a cabotage violation. It is on multiple tickets and therefore perfectly saleable.

However, it is extremely risky. If there is a delay on your SEA-YVR and it causes you to no show for your YVR-LHR, that ticket will be cancelled and retain whatever value it retains under its fare rules. That may well be $0 and you will wind up having to purchase a new ticket.

In this situation, I would fly into YVR the night before.
Old Jun 16, 19, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
I believe this falls under cabotage violation? If so you may not be able to fly to Canada. Id give a lot more time for connection, say overnight to make it appear like a trip to Canada.
A U.S. cabotage violation occurs when a foreign-flagged carrier transports a passenger between two U.S. points. Here, the passenger is traveling on AA and AS -- two domestic carriers.
Old Jun 16, 19, 7:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I did this 2 or 3 years ago: SEA - YVR - SEA - PEK

I can confirm you have to clear customs and go back through security. The US outbound flights are not the same access point in YVR due to preclearance.

I talked to several airport staff abiut my crazy connection back to the US, and even mentioned it at customs. No one mentioned anything about cabbage... Or cabotage, or whatever. They just thought I was crazy.

Saved $3k on a business class ticket to Beijing, that's not crazy!

I connected thru very quickly, but gave myself 4 hours to account for potential delays.
Old Jun 16, 19, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS G75K, Hilton Diamond
So slight variation on what you are doing, but I did SEA-YVR-LHR a week ago. SEA-YVR as a normal ticket on AS, YVR-LHR as a mileage ticket. At checkin I asked AS to interline my baggage with BA so that I would not have to deal with claiming luggage at YVR. They processed the bags through and when I landed at YVR I simply stayed in the international departure section. The only check they do is to make sure that you have a valid international boarding pass onward. When we landed at LHR our bags popped out as expected.
Old Jun 16, 19, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by rune87 View Post
So slight variation on what you are doing, but I did SEA-YVR-LHR a week ago. SEA-YVR as a normal ticket on AS, YVR-LHR as a mileage ticket. At checkin I asked AS to interline my baggage with BA so that I would not have to deal with claiming luggage at YVR. They processed the bags through and when I landed at YVR I simply stayed in the international departure section. The only check they do is to make sure that you have a valid international boarding pass onward. When we landed at LHR our bags popped out as expected.
Yes, though of course for a connection to the US you clear US Customs as well as security in YVR. (Security for international arrivals is only necessary for US Customs; domestic or non-US international connections do not require clearing security; you clear Immigration but are shunted off to the gates before baggage claim.) For an arrival that’s not from the US, you’d probably be able to bypass Canadian Customs; not sure if an arrival from the US is different somehow. Obviously, US-US connections are not something YVR is designed around since few if any are sold.

I’ve only cleared US Customs in Vancouver once (on a domestic-YVR-SEA-onward routing); the process took not much less than an hour (!) with Global Entry, the slowest part being a 30 minute wait for security. It was early morning (7:00), I think on a Monday.

Old Jun 16, 19, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
I have used separate PDX-YVR-PDX tickets to connect to an international departure from YVR on a separately purchased ticket. 2 years ago time I was on Air Canada for the hop up to Vancouver and an Air Canada flight to ICN. It was a seamless transfer at YVR, and the bag was checked thru to ICN. No one questioned why there were 2 separately tickets.

In 2 weeks I'm on a Japan Airlines flight, YVR to NRT departing at 2:15 PM. The AS flight from PDX arrives at 12:45, and the minimum connection time (MCT) is 90 min. I felt that was cutting it too close. Flightaware had the JL flight sometimes pushing back as early as 2:05, so I booked an Air Canada flight PDX to YVR arriving at 11:55 AM for a little extra cushion.

The transfer at YVR was straight forward, complete the Canadian arrival form and give it to the officer with the international boarding pass and you are funneled to the international's departure area. RUNE87 described the process perfectly.
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by bescobar View Post
I have used separate PDX-YVR-PDX tickets to conne
ct to an international departure from YVR on a separately purchased ticket. 2 years ago time I was on Air Canada for the hop up to Vancouver and an Air Canada flight to ICN. It was a seamless transfer at YVR, and the bag was checked thru to ICN. No one questioned why there were 2 separately tickets.

In 2 weeks I'm on a Japan Airlines flight, YVR to NRT departing at 2:15 PM. The AS flight from PDX arrives at 12:45, and the minimum connection time (MCT) is 90 min. I felt that was cutting it too close. Flightaware had the JL flight sometimes pushing back as early as 2:05, so I booked an Air Canada flight PDX to YVR arriving at 11:55 AM for a little extra cushion.

The transfer at YVR was straight forward, complete the Canadian arrival form and give it to the officer with the international boarding pass and you are funneled to the international's departure area. RUNE87 described the process perfectly.
Again, this experience is irrelevant for the question at hand, which involves connecting back to the US, not a US-YVR-overseas connection (which is totally routine at YVR either on a single ticket or multiple tickets). Connecting to the US involves security and US customs, which I would not describe as seamless, even assuming that the fact that the OP is arriving from the US isn't an additional complication. So the return experience NRT-YVR-US is much more relevant than the outbound.

I think arriving from the US won't be an issue, as all international arrivals in YVR (from the US and other countries) are treated the same, so US-YVR-US should I think be the same as overseas-YVR-US.

And by the way, I don't believe there are Canadian arrival forms anymore; you use the kiosks. (Except at small international airports like YLW; not relevant here.)
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:59 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
As AC is trying to capture the US-Can-Intl market the way inbound US arrival to Intl (Not US) departure very seamless and smooth.

US Can US you get the full arrival immigration, flight security and departure to US preclear immigration.
Old Jun 17, 19, 7:55 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by ashill View Post

I think arriving from the US won't be an issue, as all international arrivals in YVR (from the US and other countries) are treated the same, so US-YVR-US should I think be the same as overseas-YVR-US.
Overseas -YVR- US does not require one to enter Canada. It takes one directly to security and then entering the US at the preclearance facility.

Id be surprised if someone flying into YVR from the US could use this method, however. I guess OP could give it a try by following signs for US connections. This would definitely not be available unless bags are already checked through the entire itinerary or if there are no checked bags at all.

Search this Thread