Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US-YVR-US connections

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:11 am

We've done the same thing for the same reason; business class tickets from YVR to Europe were a fraction of the price of a business class ticket from SEA (something like $10k vs $2k for the flights we wanted, since there was a sale from YVR and not from SEA). We figured that YVR isn't a bad place to hang out with laptops, and worse case (many hour delay) you can go get a nice meal in Richmond. We gave ourselves enough time that if the SEA/YVR flight wasn't going to work we'd just go home and drive up to Vancouver - it's a bit less than three hours (and like virtually everyone else who travels in the northwest, we have Nexus cards). Yes, that's a long layover, but replacing a YVR CDG business class ticket at the last minute isn't something we're prepared to pay for.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
The return from the international flight into YVR and connecting to a flight to the US is equally seamless. Have the luggage checked thru to your final destination. Then on arrival at YVR follow these steps:

Follow the overhead signs “Welcome to Vancouver”

Have all documentation in hand and ensure all applicable forms have been completed.

Follow “USA Connections” signage. You will be directed to the USA “In-Transit Facility”.

Passengers are not required to pick up their baggage in Vancouver.

Proceed through Passenger Pre-Board Screening.
Proceed through the U.S. Immigration Primary Inspection Line.

When passing the Immigration inspection, I recall looking at a television monitor and asked to confirm that the bag on the screen was mine.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:26 pm

The return from the international flight into YVR and connecting to a flight to the US is equally seamless. Have the luggage checked thru to your final destination. Then on arrival at YVR follow these steps:
But from YVR's own website, international-YVR-USA is not the same as USA-YVR-USA. If you go to the passenger guides page, it says that a USA-YVR-USA connection involves the following steps:

1. Arrive
2. Canada passport control
3. Claim baggage
4. Exit and enter 'international reception lounge'
5. Check in for flight to USA
6. US preclearance procedures, go to gate

Whereas if you pick "international arrivals to USA departures," the website specifically spells out in bold "If you are making a USA to USA connection, you MUST pick up your bags and clear Customs". I agree that in most international-YVR-USA connections you neither have to pick up your baggage nor go through Canadian passport control, but that's not the case for USA-YVR-USA connections.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
as long as you don't have luggage, you don't need to clear Canadian customs. Do NOT follow everyone down the escalator, stay on the TOP level. Hang a left and follow the signs. The US connections will put you into a small security area (no Trusted Traveler line), then you'll have a line up into the US customs area. There are typically 3 lines, that are monitored by only 1 or 2 CBP agents (who are also taking from the YVR originating line)- it can take you a bit.

From here you are back in the US preclearance section.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I think I'll play it safe and head up the night before so I don't have to worry about time. Adds a hotel night but oh well, better than losing out on the J ticket through LHR to CPT.

I had done a US-YVR and then YVR-US flight before and had tried following some signs to avoid having to go through customs. When I walked up to the agent staffing a gate he looked at me funny and said that I had to go through customs and enter Canada since I was coming from and going to the US.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
It occurs to me that the issue may not be the flow at YVR but the fact that you can’t enter the US (or any other country) without leaving, and if you don’t clear Canadian Customs, you never left. Just like leaving Canada to re-enter to get a visa on entry.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by mikelat
I think I'll play it safe and head up the night before so I don't have to worry about time. Adds a hotel night but oh well, better than losing out on the J ticket through LHR to CPT.

I had done a US-YVR and then YVR-US flight before and had tried following some signs to avoid having to go through customs. When I walked up to the agent staffing a gate he looked at me funny and said that I had to go through customs and enter Canada since I was coming from and going to the US.
When I did SEA - YVR - SEA- PEK, I wasn't sure what to expect. After getting off the plane in YVR we had two directions to chose from: Go left to enter Canada, go right for international connections. So we followed signs for international connections. When eventually got to a person who was checking tickets and we talked with her. She informed us that flights to the US were not in that terminal/area and that we'd have to enter Canada then find our US gates.

Last year I did a YVR - KEF - CDG flight... I was going to drive up day of, leave plenty early - but then opted to drive up the night before and stay at a hotel. Grabbed some craft beer, rented a cheap comedy movie on the hotel system, and had a much more relaxing time than trying to cram an SEA - YVR flight with a long layover.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
Cabotage laws prevent airlines from selling you Country A - Country B - Country A tickets.
No they don't.

They prevent a carrier who is not from country A from selling Country A - Country B - Country A tickets.

The point is that this is treated as Country A - Country A (regardless of where you stop in the middle) and, generally, only Country A airlines are allowed to sell Country A - Country A tickets.

So, for example, AS would be allowed to sell a SEA-YVR-JFK ticket, but Air Canada could not.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No they don't.

They prevent a carrier who is not from country A from selling Country A - Country B - Country A tickets.

The point is that this is treated as Country A - Country A (regardless of where you stop in the middle) and, generally, only Country A airlines are allowed to sell Country A - Country A tickets.

So, for example, AS would be allowed to sell a SEA-YVR-JFK ticket, but Air Canada could not.
https://www.sheffield.com/articles/freedoms-of-the-air

A quick synopsis of the various "freedoms."
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
https://www.sheffield.com/articles/freedoms-of-the-air

A quick synopsis of the various "freedoms."
There is nothing here that would suggest that US carrier cannot transport people from a US city to another US city via a foreign city.

The US is not usually going to allow a foreign carrier to do this, but of course they will allow a US carrier to do it.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No they don't.

Sorry--am aware, but failed to specify.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
... Korean Air got a significant US DOT fine years ago for selling people tickets from LAX to GUM.... *shrugs*
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
... Korean Air got a significant US DOT fine years ago for selling people tickets from LAX to GUM.... *shrugs*
Right, this is a perfect example. They were taking people US - Korea - US. They can't do that. But, UA (or any US carrier) could.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
OP is flying in the night before so that leaves plenty of margin for error.

I fly through YVR regularly -- mostly to other international destinations but have connected to the US on a few occasions. Each time I entered Canada, then re-cleared security and US pre-clearance. Nobody batted an eye. I wouldn't do it in less than an hour, but 2 is plenty.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:06 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
as long as you don't have luggage, you don't need to clear Canadian customs. Do NOT follow everyone down the escalator, stay on the TOP level. Hang a left and follow the signs. The US connections will put you into a small security area (no Trusted Traveler line), then you'll have a line up into the US customs area. There are typically 3 lines, that are monitored by only 1 or 2 CBP agents (who are also taking from the YVR originating line)- it can take you a bit.

From here you are back in the US preclearance section.
What UAPremier says here is accurate if you have no checked baggage.

The biggest risk is the potential for delay departing SEATAC; of which there seems to be many to and from this airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.