SEA to HKG on HU Award?

Old Jun 16, 19, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
SEA to HKG on HU Award?

I am looking to book a flight from SEA to HKG and wondering if I should do award or pay for J.

I was hesitant to do a redemption since I don't have any plans for a stop over.

Looking at HU496 from SEA-PEK-HKG is priced at $3066 RT.

That itinerary should be 13282 miles RT. With the airline bonus currently offered, and mvpg 39846 + 9198 = 49044 miles earned for the trip. This is for I fare so no class of service bonus.

Award for this itinerary would cost 100K miles RT plus whatever fees.

Is this not a good use of miles versus a I fare? Would an award itinerary for SEA-SYD-AKL on QF be more value than HKG?

As a footnote I looked for CX as well since they offer direct from SEA now, but there are only F and no J seats

Thanks
Old Jun 16, 19, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by overlord207 View Post
Looking at HU496 from SEA-PEK-HKG is priced at $3066 RT.
The PEK routing is not desirable - at all. Most delayed major airport in the world. I would strongly suggest a different carrier. I see many good options in the $3k range, including JL and NH, which are far superior carriers to HU.

As a footnote I looked for CX as well since they offer direct from SEA now, but there are only F and no J seats

Why not F? It's only 20k miles more.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 16, 19 at 9:26 am Reason: 20k
Old Jun 16, 19, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
HU does not service HKG, You would have to fly to SZX on award. PEK-HKG is codeshare operated by HX which is not an AS partner.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 16, 19, 11:16 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
If you're going to pay, look at departing from LAX. You can connect through smaller and less delay-prone airports routing this way and the price is quite a bit less from LAX (usually at least $1k less).
Old Jun 16, 19, 11:39 am

CX service from Seattle is on the 359, and does not offer first class.
eponymous_coward and jinglish like this.
Old Jun 17, 19, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post

The PEK routing is not desirable - at all. Most delayed major airport in the world. I would strongly suggest a different carrier. I see many good options in the $3k range, including JL and NH, which are far superior carriers to HU.
Why not F? It's only 20k miles more.
Thanks, I will take a look at JL. NH is not a AS partner right? I want to fly on partner to finish up 75K for the year.

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
HU does not service HKG, You would have to fly to SZX on award. PEK-HKG is codeshare operated by HX which is not an AS partner.
Thanks, I see that SZX is redeemable but not HKG for HU. So I guess I am thinking about whether I would want to be redeeming JL or CX for SEA-HKG or buying the fare.

Originally Posted by TProphet View Post
If you're going to pay, look at departing from LAX. You can connect through smaller and less delay-prone airports routing this way and the price is quite a bit less from LAX (usually at least $1k less).
Thanks, I could make LAX-SEA work as well. Any recommendation on what partner carrier to keep an eye out for? Will start tracking from there as well. I see that CX/AA have LAX-HKG.

Originally Posted by flytoeat View Post
CX service from Seattle is on the 359, and does not offer first class.
You are correct. I was checking on flights.google and it was not showing up as J when querying. However, I can see it on CX search. Thanks.

I could do SEA-YVR-HKG on CX for around the same price ($3100) as the HU. Seems like a much better option?
Old Jun 17, 19, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I could do SEA-YVR-HKG on CX for around the same price ($3100) as the HU. Seems like a much better option?
For earning, yes, it's a better option, CX has a 25% COS bonus for business class.

Search this Thread