Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check bags 4+ hrs before departure?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
I'm curious why there are so many data points with agents. Does self-tag reject it? Or are they rejecting an already tagged bag? That's kind of ridiculous.
I think it's because agents have to scan the tag AND check passenger ID for it to be valid. Last time I was turned down in LAX, I had the self-tag ready but the agent wouldn't scan it.

I guess it's a security measure? Otherwise anyone that has a matching record number and passenger name can check a bag, potentially sending something onboard without even being identified.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ezak
I think it's because agents have to scan the tag AND check passenger ID for it to be valid. Last time I was turned down in LAX, I had the self-tag ready but the agent wouldn't scan it.
Did they void the tag? I would have insisted on it.

If you can structure it so that it's more work for them to not accept it, maybe they'll accept it.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
Did they void the tag? I would have insisted on it.

If you can structure it so that it's more work for them to not accept it, maybe they'll accept it.
No, they just wouldn’t scan it and told me to come back at T-4. I think the tags are “inactive” by default when printed, and are only activated once scanned by an agent, at which point they also ask for ID.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:44 am
Original Poster

I wish I could report back on my bag check experience today... but at HNL in the afternoon someone's laptop in a carry-on bag exploded and the whole airport was evacuated, so I didn't get to check bags 4+ hours before my flight in the chaos. Alas, guess I'll find out another time!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ezak
I wish I could report back on my bag check experience today... but at HNL in the afternoon someone's laptop in a carry-on bag exploded and the whole airport was evacuated, so I didn't get to check bags 4+ hours before my flight in the chaos. Alas, guess I'll find out another time!
Damn... that's a mess. Had a stay last year that had a laptop in the room above near me catch fire. Evacuated several times; water dripping into the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.