Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska flts diverted due to strong smell

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Alaska flts diverted due to strong smell

ok, I just read of another instance of an Alaska airbus diverting due to strong smells in the cabin. Within the last 6 months, this must be the 4 or 5th case of an Alaska airbus diverting for this reason. I believe the original cases described the smell as “strong smell of plastic burning”. Am I the only person who has noticed this pattern? Facts come first so I’m not suggesting a common cause, but this pattern caught my eye. Anyone have any insights?

Search “Alaska flight diverted smell” in google news and you’ll see the various events

Last edited by ASA_1; Jun 11, 2019 at 11:44 am
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
There were a few incidents mentioned early this year that involved mainly the Airbus though I do recall a 737-900 with something similar. It was mentioned that it smelled like plastic burning, not sure if they ever found the precise cause. However, there are over 11,000 daily flights that Alaska runs; 4-5 incidents somewhat pales to that. I am not saying that it should not be investigated and you never want to see someone become sick but I would not necessarily call it a pattern. The only smells I have noticed is that of a new 737 that is flying for the first time, or fellow passengers that have personal hygiene low on their priorities. Maybe someone else has more insight to this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by ASA_1
Within the last 6 months, this must be the 4 or 5th case of an Alaska airbus diverting for this reason. I believe the original cases described the smell as “strong smell of plastic burning”.
I could be wrong but I don't think it's that many. There was an AS and an AC a320 flight that made the news earlier this year with reports of burning or strong "plastic like" smells
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I could be wrong but I don't think it's that many. There was an AS and an AC a320 flight that made the news earlier this year with reports of burning or strong "plastic like" smells
I saw 5 stories within the last 8 months.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
There were a few incidents mentioned early this year that involved mainly the Airbus though I do recall a 737-900 with something similar. It was mentioned that it smelled like plastic burning, not sure if they ever found the precise cause. However, there are over 11,000 daily flights that Alaska runs; 4-5 incidents somewhat pales to that. I am not saying that it should not be investigated and you never want to see someone become sick but I would not necessarily call it a pattern. The only smells I have noticed is that of a new 737 that is flying for the first time, or fellow passengers that have personal hygiene low on their priorities. Maybe someone else has more insight to this.
ya I’m not suggesting it’s something to be concerned about, I’m mainly curious what it is/ whether it’s a common cause across the various events. It just seems like every time I see a headline that an Alaska flight had to divert it was because of a “plastic smell”
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Alex, I'll take Airplane Trivia for $2000.

And the answer is "A strong burnt plastic-like smell."

"What happens to spilled polenta that drips into an airplane convection oven after several hundred heating cycles?"
JacksonFlyer and Buster CT1K like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver
I was listening to Live ATC after I noticed AS1323 squawking 7700 on FR24. PDX controller asked for souls on board + remaining fuel, then asked the flightcrew to confirm reports of smoke. Their response was heavy smell of smoke while at altitude, but that it wasn't visible. They mentioned that the FAs said it was present from the exit row to the flightdeck.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
New car smell? Drive a new car for a few weeks and you get that rubber plastic burning smell.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Seatac was using a south flow. Depart south, note the "Tacoma aroma." Nuff said.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Alex, I'll take Airplane Trivia for $2000.

And the answer is "A strong burnt plastic-like smell."

"What happens to spilled polenta that drips into an airplane convection oven after several hundred heating cycles?"
It was not polenta...it was KALE!!!!!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
It was not polenta...it was KALE!!!!!
Kale, Kale, the gang is all here! Polentacally speaking, wasn't that so last cycle?

James

PS Both delicious!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
However, there are over 11,000 daily flights that Alaska runs; 4-5 incidents somewhat pales to that.
Really, 11k?

A quick search shows “Average daily flights 2016: 957 (AAG)” on their own company information site:

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/company-information

Granted, it’s no longer 2016, and it would be nice if they kept this up to date, but I don’t think they grew that much since then

Still, I kind of agree with your conclusion.

perhaps it was just some pasenger’s dirty socks?

https://www.tampabay.com/news/bizarr...ding_170456704

“A rancid odor likened to "dirty socks" and burning plastic prompted a plane traveling from New York to Florida to make an emergency landing Thursday night.”

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jun 11, 2019 at 11:27 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
However, there are over 11,000 daily flights that Alaska runs; 4-5 incidents somewhat pales to that.
Alaska runs may be caused by some of the lounge soups (especially when consumed with a lounge side salad with too much dressing) but that would cause, not result from, the strong smell. As for the 11K number ...
bmvaughn, tusphotog and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Really, 11k?

A quick search shows “Average daily flights 2016: 957 (AAG)” on their own company information site:

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/company-information

Granted, it’s no longer 2016, and it would be nice if they kept this up to date, but I don’t think they grew that much since then

Still, I kind of agree with your conclusion.

perhaps it was just some pasenger’s dirty socks?

https://www.tampabay.com/news/bizarr...ding_170456704

“A rancid odor likened to "dirty socks" and burning plastic prompted a plane traveling from New York to Florida to make an emergency landing Thursday night.”

I stand corrected, it is 1,200 flights per day:

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2018-...tional-results

The number of destinations has increased since 2016 and I am not sure if the VX fights were included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.