Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Partner Wish List

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm lucky in that I have a flexible work schedule, but I've been able to book many J/F partner redemptions on multiple airlines with AS miles without much trouble. Would I like more options? Yes. Do I still think Alaska has a great program? Yes.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by ffman999
I'm lucky in that I have a flexible work schedule, but I've been able to book many J/F partner redemptions on multiple airlines with AS miles without much trouble. Would I like more options? Yes. Do I still think Alaska has a great program? Yes.
Flexibility matters. I haven’t had any trouble booking J redemptions on partners either. How many people saying they can never redeem their miles are trying to do so during peak summer months or around the end-of-year holidays and/or trying to redeem 4 J/F seats on the same flight?
jinglish and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Does AA ever release Business or First class rewards on transcon flights to Europe?

I have yet to see one.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan

Flexibility matters. I haven’t had any trouble booking J redemptions on partners either. How many people saying they can never redeem their miles are trying to do so during peak summer months or around the end-of-year holidays and/or trying to redeem 4 J/F seats on the same flight?
For sure, there are limitations. I think what I was getting at was that for a lot of very loyal flyers (inherently the FT community), the value in MP is partner awards. Not that they aren't available - finding premium cabin award space is part of the game, after all. But the recent trend of partners is that there are zero redemption possibilities. It's been years since they've announced a partnership you can actually redeem miles on.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by KnownasEric
For sure, there are limitations. I think what I was getting at was that for a lot of very loyal flyers (inherently the FT community), the value in MP is partner awards. Not that they aren't available - finding premium cabin award space is part of the game, after all. But the recent trend of partners is that there are zero redemption possibilities. It's been years since they've announced a partnership you can actually redeem miles on.
I hear you regarding SQ & EI. It’s taken too long to get redemptions going. I personally don’t think those two add much value to Mileage Plan, but obviously everyone’s travel patterns are different. Most of my international leisure travel is to Asia, so I have gotten tremendous value out of CX & JL redemptions, and I’m happy with that.

Mileage Plan has incredible sweet spots I’m thankfully able to take advantage of, but the program does have its limitations, which is why I diversify and redeem a lot through Chase Ultimate Rewards as well. Maybe it’s time to move on to a different program if Mileage Plan isn’t meeting your expectations? There’s no point in being patient waiting for airlines to conform to your needs, especially in this day and age. If you can’t earn and burn, its time to move on.
ffman999 and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan

I've even managed to redeem AS miles for AA J to SCL over Labor Day weekend, and CX and JL J over the winter holidays. Sometimes you have to be lucky, but I've never had too much trouble finding J space for one to Asia as long as I keep checking regularly.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by jinglish
I've even managed to redeem AS miles for AA J to SCL over Labor Day weekend, and CX and JL J over the winter holidays. Sometimes you have to be lucky, but I've never had too much trouble finding J space for one to Asia as long as I keep checking regularly.
I recently booked LAX-HKG on CX J for two in December myself. When I have a redemption in mind, I have made it a habit to look for award space when I have a bit of free time, and it has made a world of difference.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by brentyb
Does AA ever release Business or First class rewards on transcon flights to Europe?

I have yet to see one.
I'm on a business award on AA SFO-JFK-DUS next month, though booked with AA miles and not AS miles as I have a lot more of those. Booked it about 3 weeks ago.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
I'm on a business award on AA SFO-JFK-DUS next month, though booked with AA miles and not AS miles as I have a lot more of those. Booked it about 3 weeks ago.
Availability on AA does not mean that it is also available to book on AS.

James
AS2495
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have yet to see one.
Assuming you mean TATL, I'm booked on two (there and back) in July/August, so, yes.

Booked with AA miles but theoretically the inventory should be the same (both directions were saver business). Whether it actually is the same is another story (I have certainly seen qantas F awards available with AA miles that were not available with AS miles, which should not happen -- I'm not sure if this problem affects other carriers too)
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Seems Air Italy added AS to some interline agreements. Don't see it expanding its partnership though, since it is backed by Qatar. But who knows.

https://press.airitaly.com/air-italy...aska-airlines/
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver

I have yet to see one.
Not sure what you mean by transcon flights to Europe, but I helped someone book SMF-LAX-MIA-MAD in F/J/J less than two years ago. Interestingly, the hard product from LAX-MIA was better than MIA-MAD. Another anecdote, the LAX-MIA flight got rerouted to MCO and then after an hour took off for MIA. Luckily the pax still made her connection.

It was a last minute ticket, actually. The flight departure was less than a day after booking.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Not sure what you mean by transcon flights to Europe, but I helped someone book SMF-LAX-MIA-MAD in F/J/J less than two years ago. Interestingly, the hard product from LAX-MIA was better than MIA-MAD. Another anecdote, the LAX-MIA flight got rerouted to MCO and then after an hour took off for MIA. Luckily the pax still made her connection.

It was a last minute ticket, actually. The flight departure was less than a day after booking.
Probably meant TATL. And two years ago was about the last time I saw an F/J award flight TATL on AA.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ffman999
I'm very much with people who find it annoying that it's impossible to book on certain carriers and hard to book on others. But there are many other easy redemption opportunities on partner airlines, so people saying their miles can't be used is overkill.
but this is FT, where hyperbole is an integral part of the basic experience
ffman999 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jinglish
Not going to happen unless AS somehow makes it into OneWorld. S7 doesn't even fly to North America--much less an AS hub--so they have no need for codeshares on AS metal, and the AS flyers like you who want to earn EQMs on intra-Russia flights are few and far between. They may as well partner with HY or PS if they're going that far.
See, AS needs to resume flights to Russia :-:
milypan and LGACIC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.