Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

8 June 2019 AS 21 ORD-SEA delayed ~4 hours due to flight attendant illness

Old Jun 8, 19, 7:49 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond

The 7:50pm departure has turned into a midnight departure.

Six paramedics got on the aircraft while we were waiting to board. They're still on.

AS is flying a replacement FA on the flight from SEA that arrives ~11pm.

I sure hope the sick FA turns out to be okay.

ETA: Within minutes of the posting of the new departure time, I got both a text and an apology email saying that AS was sorry for the situation and would be sending compensation.

I will say that the three harried CSRs were doing an admirable job of re-booking and handing out dinner vouchers to anyone who was sticking around for the new departure.
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
That doesn't sound good - if the FA could walk off they probably would have. Hope they end up ok! Any updates?
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Gate agent was able to tell me that after quite awhile with the paramedics, th FA was able to walk off and get to the hotel

Glad to hear.

ETA: FA from the arriving flight just sped over from the next gate. Everyone applauded

Turns out that a lot of the folks here have been here since this morning when the morning flight to Seattle was canceled

Last edited by cblaisd; Jun 8, 19 at 10:32 pm
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Turns out that a lot of the folks here have been here since this morning when the morning flight to Seattle was canceled
That's not good. I've been waiting my turn on one of the thin routes AA only flies once a day, like SFO-RDU, SFO-PHL, or SFO-MCO, just to see if they'd consider rerouting my on a competitor to get home or if they'd only give me the option of flying 24 hours later. Guess they wouldn't do that with your 4 hour delay, as it's too short, but wondering if any of the passengers on the morning flight were offered any other options, if you know.
Old Jun 8, 19, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I don’t know
Old Jun 9, 19, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
That's not good. I've been waiting my turn on one of the thin routes AA only flies once a day, like SFO-RDU, SFO-PHL, or SFO-MCO, just to see if they'd consider rerouting my on a competitor to get home or if they'd only give me the option of flying 24 hours later. Guess they wouldn't do that with your 4 hour delay, as it's too short, but wondering if any of the passengers on the morning flight were offered any other options, if you know.
Last month I was put on UA and my friend was put on DL for 4 hour delay in BJX. No AA status. In the old days AS would put people on other airlines for fairly minor delays. They seen to be more stingy lately, but not unreasonably so
Old Jun 9, 19, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
AS has pushed me to UA about 3 times in the past 12 months.

I had one more I recall a couple years ago where it was a 4-hour creeping mechanical, and they didn't offer, but I inquired, they were willing to do it, but I was upgraded and decided to wait it out. It wasn't much over the 4 hour estimate.

They seemed reasonable in all cases. I suspect if the OP asked and there was AA or UA availability, they would have gotten it, especially if they have status with AS.

In the most recent case, SFO-LAX-IAD on AS (LAX-IAD redeye), AS did a fantastic job with the bags. SFO-LAX was delayed (mechanical) and was going to cause misconnect. It was too late to pull bags, so they flew on that, while I got rebooked SFO-IAD on UA (AS has no redeye on that route). The bags made it to LAX, misconnected, and AS retagged them for UA LAX-IAD. The bags beat us to IAD slightly, and we were able to grab them from the UA bag office on arrival.
Old Jun 9, 19, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa View Post
I suspect if the OP asked and there was AA or UA availability, they would have gotten it, especially if they have status with AS.
I agree. In this situation, though, there were neither UA nor DL alternatives that worked any better than waiting the four hours, particularly after I was able to see that the inbound from SEA with the new FA on it was on time or better.

AS sent a $100 discount code to my account.

(Speaking of baggage, AS has spoiled me. Part my itinerary this time included an FAR-ORD segment on an AA CR7. I had to gate check my rollaboard and ended up waiting in the jetway almost 25 minutes for the bag.)
channa, sltlyamusd and PaperGlider like this.
Old Jun 10, 19, 8:04 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 75K
Hope FA is OK.

I avoid ORD like the plague and ALWAYS have alternative plans in mind year round and not just winter. During winter a little snow will back up ORD (all carriers) and I have made plans alternative plans to leave out of MKE where they rarely ever back up and essentially get all plans out. Train, bus, or car from ORD to MKE is pretty easy. Last winter this served me and my family well. ORD backed up for days but MKE no change in schedule per the AS gate team in MKe. Flying into ORD, I also make alternative back up plans to fly directly into MKE as well.
Old Jun 10, 19, 8:43 am
Original Poster

I agree. But this (and a couple of other trips this summer) had no real alternative to connecting at ORD.

What I always find most annoying and puzzling is just how long you have to taxi after landing; feels like you're driving to Gary. So different from DEN where taxis both inbound and outbound are normally quick.
Old Jun 10, 19, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
I agree. But this (and a couple of other trips this summer) had no real alternative to connecting at ORD.

What I always find most annoying and puzzling is just how long you have to taxi after landing; feels like you're driving to Gary. So different from DEN where taxis both inbound and outbound are normally quick.
Yes, the taxi time upon landing can be quite long at ORD, especially if landing on the northernmost runway. Gate/alleyway congestion can also be an issue during peaks hours. For example, AS only has two gates, which isn't an issue during most of the day. But in the evening, there are two sets of departures: the first around 5:30-6 PM and the second around 7:30 PM. If the first set of flights are delayed, the subsequent flights using those gates can also be delayed because the inbound is stuck on the tarmac.

Edited to add: my friends are flying out of ORD today and it’s a beautiful, sunny day in Chicago with great visibility. And yet ORD is currently showing delays of 53 min due to “weather/wind” per the FAA site. Unbelievable...

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Jun 10, 19 at 12:32 pm
Old Jun 10, 19, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold75k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I just flew ORD SEA on Sat night, I sure hope the FA is ok. I was going to say that I hope it wasn't the one that was on my flight but I realized that I feel bad for any FA whether I "know" them or not.
Old Jun 11, 19, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Plat MM; Hyatt Globalist; Starwood, Marriott, Hilton Gold.
ORD is generally fine. I don't experience too many delays and if your business is downtown, flying in and out of MKE is going to add a lot of time.

What did happen to me was a creeping mechanical on an A320 ORD-SFO the day after the OP's flight. Eventually I just gave up and came back the next morning for the morning flight to SFO. The creeping mechanical turned into a 4h delay and the crew were close to timing out. Thanks to the nice captain who explained the issues to me in detail, which allowed me to decide to just head back to town instead of waiting at the airport for a potential cancellation hours later.