Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad baggage handling at LAX. Resolved.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Bad baggage handling at LAX. Resolved.

I didn't see this referenced here. So...

https://ktla.com/2019/06/06/alaska-a...-plane-at-lax/

"Alaska Airlines has launched an investigation after a baggage handler was filmed aggressively tossing luggage from an airplane at Los Angeles International Airport last month, a company spokesman said Thursday.

The cellphone video, which was taken around 8 p.m. on May 17, shows a worker "carelessly throwing" bags out of a plane after it landed at LAX, according to the man who recorded the footage.

"This is unacceptable," he wrote in an email to KTLA. The man asked to remain anonymous.

In the video, a worker can be seen throwing the bags from the plane onto a metal cart below; at least two pieces of luggage ended up on the ground, the footage shows.

Ray Lane, a spokesman for the airline, called the video "extremely concerning" and apologized to the customers who bags were "handled so recklessly."

"The contract vendor clearly violated our policies," Lane said in a statement emailed to KTLA. "We expect all employees to treat the luggage and cargo of our guests as they would their own."

The incident is being investigated, according to Lane.

He added that the company will ensure the employee does not work on any future Alaska Airlines planes.

KTLA's Jennifer Thang contributed to this story. "
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The Union will protect his deserving worker..and other baggage handlers will slow down if need be,
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:02 pm

There is no union. Alaska farms out its ground service in the lower 48. Has for years since it fired its unionized ground workers at SEA.

Originally Posted by satman40
The Union will protect his deserving worker..and other baggage handlers will slow down if need be,
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by satman40
I looked at this story differently; I see there was careless baggage handling and I see that Alaska Airline taken action to fix it.

I saw how Alaska Airlines got some bad press. It was caused by employee(s) of company hired by Alaska Airlines to handle baggage. Then I read how Alaska Airline did something about it. The careless employee won't work on jobs for Alaska Airlines again. That action will be noticed and the handling should be better.

Carelessness or dereliction needs to be managed. And, in this case, it is.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I looked at this story differently; I see there was careless baggage handling and I see that Alaska Airline taken action to fix it.

I saw how Alaska Airlines got some bad press. It was caused by employee(s) of company hired by Alaska Airlines to handle baggage. Then I read how Alaska Airline did something about it. The careless employee won't work on jobs for Alaska Airlines again. That action will be noticed and the handling should be better.

Carelessness or dereliction needs to be managed. And, in this case, it is.
All this. PLUS, why would the person send the video straight to KTLA and not just to Alaska to see if they would first rectify the situation? Why do people go straight to the press... It totally boggles my mind.
ctporter likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
All this. PLUS, why would the person send the video straight to KTLA and not just to Alaska to see if they would first rectify the situation? Why do people go straight to the press... It totally boggles my mind.
Because they want action taken, not a form letter and some points?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The worker is protected, the handles will slow down give soft glove service and you will wait for your luggage to be softly delivered.

you lucky people...
channa likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:59 am

There has to be a better way.

This worker is careless, but seems to have few options, that is quite a drop from the plane to the cart. Why doesn't Alaska Airlines or all airlines have a luggage carrier that was on a scissor lift that could be raised to the door of the plane so luggage could be off loaded at the same level, or at least a slide that went to a cart on the ground? Seems to me that there could be a better and safer way to off load luggage in this situation.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AS
Now I understand how my suitcases got damaged. I have had 4 suitcases (hard side) arrive at carousel with large cracks in the case over the past 6 years.
(They did look like someone just dropped them out of the plane)
AS has been great with remedy for this. I did notice that LAX was the common denominator in all cases even when it was a connection.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by Oxnardjan
This worker is careless, but seems to have few options, that is quite a drop from the plane to the cart. Why doesn't Alaska Airlines or all airlines have a luggage carrier that was on a scissor lift that could be raised to the door of the plane so luggage could be off loaded at the same level, or at least a slide that went to a cart on the ground? Seems to me that there could be a better and safer way to off load luggage in this situation.
I don't think I have ever seen baggage handlers offloading a plane from the cargo door direct to cart; there is a conveyor belt that transits from the cargo hold to the cart where (usually) the handler picks up the luggage, turns and puts it on the cart. I have seen some luggage tossed onto the belt from inside the cargo hold and as a result it falls off the belt. The only time I have seen (and I do not watch all the time) luggage being placed directly into the hold is last minute items before the cargo hold is secured.

As far as the union issue goes.......because their union means they get a free pass not doing their job properly? Tail wagging the dog?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by n7371f
There is no union. Alaska farms out its ground service in the lower 48. Has for years since it fired its unionized ground workers at SEA.
And the contractor has been cited at LAX for safety violations. They were fined last year or the year before. Not excusing behavior but this is one area where the handlers have been vocal about work conditions.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:55 am

I thought so...

Thanks, you are correct, I generally see a conveyor belt. Why this was the manner of offloading luggage boggles my mind. I have had a couple of hard sided cases cracked and wheels broken off, kind of understand why it happens now. Thanks Jackson Flyer.

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
I don't think I have ever seen baggage handlers offloading a plane from the cargo door direct to cart; there is a conveyor belt that transits from the cargo hold to the cart where (usually) the handler picks up the luggage, turns and puts it on the cart. I have seen some luggage tossed onto the belt from inside the cargo hold and as a result it falls off the belt. The only time I have seen (and I do not watch all the time) luggage being placed directly into the hold is last minute items before the cargo hold is secured.

As far as the union issue goes.......because their union means they get a free pass not doing their job properly? Tail wagging the dog?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by n7371f
I thought AS did away with their contract with Menzies and began hiring their own ground crews. Was that only in SEA, PDX or other major "hubs". I can see them contracting at outstations and perhaps at LAX they contract as well.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
I thought AS did away with their contract with Menzies and began hiring their own ground crews. Was that only in SEA, PDX or other major "hubs". I can see them contracting at outstations and perhaps at LAX they contract as well.
AS replaced Menzies with Mcgee Air Services in SEA, PDX, PAE, SJC, SFO And PHX. Mcgee is a wholly owned AS subsidiary and is unionized (IAM).
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Because they want action taken, not a form letter and some points?
So this is how we resolve customer service complaints now? Wow. I may be a little old school but I generally don't whip out my iphone and send it to the news whenever I feel like I've been wronged. That, and it must have been a slow news day for them to actually air such a "story".
Flying for Fun and Finkface like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.