Wiki Posts
Search

Bad baggage handling at LAX. Resolved.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
So this is how we resolve customer service complaints now? Wow. I may be a little old school but I generally don't whip out my iphone and send it to the news whenever I feel like I've been wronged. That, and it must have been a slow news day for them to actually air such a "story".
Eh, this wasn't just a minor complaint. This sort of handling of property was pretty egregious. And getting attention past the $15/hour front liner handing out points can be difficult.

Public shaming was appropriate here, IMO. I doubt we would have had the same outcome (guy doesn't work for AS flights anymore) if the usual channels were utilized.
InTheShed and bostonkarl like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Putzy
AS replaced Menzies with Mcgee Air Services in SEA, PDX, PAE, SJC, SFO And PHX. Mcgee is a wholly owned AS subsidiary and is unionized (IAM).

So is Menzies still the contractor at LAX?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by pcoll
Now I understand how my suitcases got damaged. I have had 4 suitcases (hard side) arrive at carousel with large cracks in the case over the past 6 years.
(They did look like someone just dropped them out of the plane)
AS has been great with remedy for this. I did notice that LAX was the common denominator in all cases even when it was a connection.
That is why I use a Pelican 1560 case when I travel.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:32 pm

In this day and time, I am surprised that any employee who works in an area visible to the public would not realize that his/her improper conduct would be noticed and recorded (video and/or audio) by others... Just about every adult (and many minors) at an airport will have a cell phone with a camera, and they won't hesitate to record such things. .
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So this is how we resolve customer service complaints now? Wow. I may be a little old school but I generally don't whip out my iphone and send it to the news whenever I feel like I've been wronged. That, and it must have been a slow news day for them to actually air such a "story".
Because of the well documented intransigence of airline so-called customer service, because of their obvious and clear attitude that the loss of an individual customer means absolutely nothing to them or their bottom line, because that bottom line has become the end all and be all of the business' mission (providing a reliable transportation service doesn't even come close), because the airlines have made it crystal clear that status determines response, because of all this and more, yes, people sometimes feel they need an advocate to get their point across.
BW Flyer and bostonkarl like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
That is why I use a Pelican 1560 case when I travel.
I occasionally use transit cases and I still don't want them frequently and intentionally dropped.

Your pelican case should survive such a long drop. But how often would you like that case tossed onto the ramp?

My point with this reply is: the handling was bad and although you may be well prepared for such rough handling, the usual luggage handling shouldn't be as in the video.

By the way, that case is 17 lbs. empty. That's like a free virtual gym membership with that bag
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Im also surprised theres no belt loader for the front pit of this A321.... unless it was lightly loaded, theres normally 70+ bags in that thing.

But the crew was under pressure to meet Alaska's 20 min bag guarantee and was flinging them out as fast as they could. Albeit on to a cart 6 feet below and the ground...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Im also surprised theres no belt loader for the front pit of this A321.... unless it was lightly loaded, theres normally 70+ bags in that thing.

But the crew was under pressure to meet Alaska's 20 min bag guarantee and was flinging them out as fast as they could. Albeit on to a cart 6 feet below and the ground...
That was my suspicion watching the video, that they're under pressure to get those bags onto the belt however they need to do it. Although I can't see how then needing to police up the scattered bags now on the ground is much faster than placing them in the cart at the start.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
I like and value the 20 minute guarantee. The 20 minute guarantee has been re-assuring for me to plan my ground transportation and subsequent schedule. (It also keeps me from taking time to use an arrival lounge! ) understand to achieve that goal, there must require a speedy pit-crew or an otherwise planned and executed performance by baggage handlers.

I hope the solution is supporting the baggage crews with the right people, standards, and equipment. Because, trying to solve this by slyly extending the 20 minute to a 2 hour guarantee would still allow this rough handling and unsafe actions to happen ( maybe after a 1 hour 40 minute extra break).

Last edited by PaperGlider; Jun 7, 2019 at 11:46 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by channa
Eh, this wasn't just a minor complaint. This sort of handling of property was pretty egregious. And getting attention past the $15/hour front liner handing out points can be difficult.

Public shaming was appropriate here, IMO. I doubt we would have had the same outcome (guy doesn't work for AS flights anymore) if the usual channels were utilized.
you really think Alaska would have just blown this off if presented with this video - and maybe even a threat of going public? I don't. To me, I just don't get the whole mentality of going straight to the press before ever giving a company a chance to make it right. That's just me though. Its the world we live in I suppose.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
Because of the well documented intransigence of airline so-called customer service, because of their obvious and clear attitude that the loss of an individual customer means absolutely nothing to them or their bottom line, because that bottom line has become the end all and be all of the business' mission (providing a reliable transportation service doesn't even come close), because the airlines have made it crystal clear that status determines response, because of all this and more, yes, people sometimes feel they need an advocate to get their point across.
This is so over the top to me - frankly, given the nature of the business, and the millions upon millions of passengers flown over a year, I think airlines generally do a decent job of making things right and doing what they promise - getting people safely from one place to another in a relatively timely fashion.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Talking

When I saw the title of this thread, my mind immediately went here.....
Just be glad Alaska doesn't fly L10-11's....

Go to :16
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is so over the top to me - frankly, given the nature of the business, and the millions upon millions of passengers flown over a year, I think airlines generally do a decent job of making things right and doing what they promise - getting people safely from one place to another in a relatively timely fashion.
I agree, but it's when they don't get it right that things get a bit sticky, and if, unlike most of us, you're simply an occasional flyer with no status besides being a paying customer, you might very well get the bum's rush, the brush off, the high hat.
That's when people turn to a reporter for assistance. Because, as this and many other cases have proven, airlines will readily ignore kettles, not so much the press.
BW Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
There should have been 3 rampers- 1 deep in the pit, 1 at the door, and 1 at the bottom of the belt loader.

Me thinks they had a call out + a broken belt loader.

No excuse, though.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:31 pm

You are right. I stand corrected. There is a union agreement. For anyone who wants to read how great it is: CONTRACT Q&A - IAM-McGee Air Services

Alaska moved to ever lower 48 city that had no Alaska ground service workers. For a reference on how subsidiary owned ground service works, suggest you look at Delta which determined DGS (Delta Global Service) determined it was more damaging to own a cheap airport provider.

Originally Posted by Putzy
AS replaced Menzies with Mcgee Air Services in SEA, PDX, PAE, SJC, SFO And PHX. Mcgee is a wholly owned AS subsidiary and is unionized (IAM).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.