Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SFO Lounge Access for AAdmiral's club members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO Lounge Access for AAdmiral's club members

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by safari ari
The bigger issue was AS use to operate out of Intl A, and then with the VX acquisition they moved most/all of their operations out of T2, which was putting a huge influx of people into the AC.
Or really just VX suddenly became a lounge partner of AA, which it wasn't when the lounge was built.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ashill
For AA but not AS to have a lounge AS lounge members can use in AS's hub is not tenable; the lounge capacity compared to the passenger capacity on the two airlines is too out of balance.
Alaska has 13% of all seats from SFO while AA is at 8%. For Alaska, that's almost 9 million seats a year. The AS-VX merger made Alaska the #2 in both available seats and departing flights from SFO. I can see why AA doesn't want to be overrun with Alaska flyers.
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...O-13875046.php
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I really meant my question as a general question to everyone, not necessarily the OP for whom cost isn't a factor....I'm honestly curious why one would pay more for an AC membership over a cheaper AS Lounge membership since the AS membership allows access to almost all domestic and international AC.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I really meant my question as a general question to everyone, not necessarily the OP for whom cost isn't a factor....I'm honestly curious why one would pay more for an AC membership over a cheaper AS Lounge membership since the AS membership allows access to almost all domestic and international AC.
I think the most compelling argument for AC over AS is if you use the Citi AAdvantage Exec Card, which is at the same "price" as a general AL membership but also lets you add up to 10 other card holders and has access to SFO. But starting this Fall access will be limited to being on AA and partner flights so the benefit diminishes a bit. Personally for my usual routes the MVPG pricing on the AL was a slam dunk since I am not looking for international options since all my work travel is on the AS network.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
AS & AA have a "reciprocal" lounge access agreement in certain domestic markets. An AL membership won't grant you access to Admiral Clubs in PHX. AA is in Terminal 4, AS is in Terminal 2. AS has an agreement with UA there. It is favourable to have a AC membership that grants access everywhere and all Alaska Lounges than to have an AL membership to all Alaska Lounges and a subset of Admiral Clubs.

I do a lot of international travel. My Citi AC membership has been a great benefit and I know I won't be denied at any AL.

James
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AS & AA have a "reciprocal" lounge access agreement in certain domestic markets. An AL membership won't grant you access to Admiral Clubs in PHX. AA is in Terminal 4, AS is in Terminal 2. AS has an agreement with UA there. It is favourable to have a AC membership that grants access everywhere and all Alaska Lounges than to have an AL membership to all Alaska Lounges and a subset of Admiral Clubs.

I do a lot of international travel. My Citi AC membership has been a great benefit and I know I won't be denied at any AL.

James
That is just not correct. AL membership allows access to every single AC, worldwide, except SFO, as long as flying on AS or AA. It even allows access to pseudo-ACs like in San Diego, where it is ran by a third party.

In airports where AS and AA are not in the same terminal, like PHX, AS might make arrangements with a another airline, but AL members can still access the AC at PHX with an AL membership.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
That is just not correct. AL membership allows access to every single AC, worldwide, except SFO, as long as flying on AS or AA. It even allows access to pseudo-ACs like in San Diego, where it is ran by a third party.
Not according to the AS Website. There is no mention of pseudo-ACs, only to select AC locations.

"Alaska Lounge members have access to the select Admiral Club Locations listed below when arriving or departing that day on a purchased or redeemed-mileage ticket on Alaska Airlines or American Airlines*. Members do not have access to the Admirals Club in San Francisco."

I was incorrect in stating MIA & PHX as they do appear on the list. Can you show me where SCL & ICN contract lounges are listed? I have visited those locations recently.
In airports where AS and AA are not in the same terminal, like PHX, AS might make arrangements with a another airline, but AL members can still access the AC at PHX with an AL membership.
You are correct here. Thank you for the clarification. Until November, there is no requirement to be flying AA for access & SFO isn't sidelined. The World Elite Mastercard offers up to 11 memberships for the annual fee while a single additional AL Spouse/Partner membership is an additional $250. While it may not work for everyone it is the better choice for me since my first/last flight to/from home is always on AS via SEA.

James
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Not according to the AS Website. There is no mention of pseudo-ACs, only to select AC locations.

"Alaska Lounge members have access to the select Admiral Club Locations listed below when arriving or departing that day on a purchased or redeemed-mileage ticket on Alaska Airlines or American Airlines*. Members do not have access to the Admirals Club in San Francisco."

I was incorrect in stating MIA & PHX as they do appear on the list. Can you show me where SCL & ICN contract lounges are listed? I have visited those locations recently.

You are correct here. Thank you for the clarification. Until November, there is no requirement to be flying AA for access & SFO isn't sidelined. The World Elite Mastercard offers up to 11 memberships for the annual fee while a single additional AL Spouse/Partner membership is an additional $250. While it may not work for everyone it is the better choice for me since my first/last flight to/from home is always on AS via SEA.

James

Check the list of included AA lounges. It includes every AC except SFO, right? If not, which ones are missing?

I believe you are right and @MAH4546 wrong about SAN and SCL (a newly closed AC, replaced by a LATAM lounge that I believe AC members can access): they are not on the list for AL members.

And be careful about the credit card: it offers membership (including partner lounge access) for just the primary cardholder. It offers Admirals Club access, but not partner lounge access, for authorized cardholders.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:24 am

I believe you are right and @MAH4546 wrong about SAN and SCL (a newly closed AC, replaced by a LATAM lounge that I believe AC members can access): they are not on the list for AL members.

That list is quite extensive, although Qantas Clubs & Qantas International Business Lounges are accessible as a benefit of MVPG+ Elite Members. I would anticipate most AL members are flying sufficiently to have status commensurate to access requirements based on status. The LATAM VIP lounge in SCL is known to be the best lounge in South America and I had no problems accessing it when flying AA PE to MIA.

Interestingly, the AirSpace Lounge in SAN is specifically mentioned as accessible for AC members when flying on an AS flight.

"Must present your membership card and boarding pass at lounge check-in counter for same-day departure on an American Airlines, Alaska Airlines or Virgin America marketed and operated flight (flight sold with American / Alaska / Virgin America flight number and flown on American /Alaska / Virgin America aircraft)."

I will be in SAN in a couple of weeks. I was unaware that I would have Lounge access so this has been a good discussion for me. It would be nice if we had a datapoint on access to the Airspace Lounge in SAN with an AL membership.

​​​​​​And be careful about the credit card: it offers membership (including partner lounge access) for just the primary cardholder. It offers Admirals Club access, but not partner lounge access, for authorized cardholders.
Yes, you are correct. I did say it may not work for everyone. I am Canadian based flying AS and have authourized American based users who fly AA. I have 3 authourized users which equates to four AC memberships (including access to all partner/contract lounges) and one AL membership. As the primary cardholder I do have access to Alaska Lounges and can guest my partner in when we are traveling together. In the rare cases he is traveling without me, 75K lounge access codes fill the gap. Access to the AC at SFO has also been quite beneficial as both an arrival and depature lounge while flying AS.

James
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
SCL LATAM lounge is not an AC obviously. No reason for BR members to have access.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Once AS moved all operations into T2 at SAN (end of January this year), the Airspace lounge sign was reprinted with an official-looking "Alaska Lounge" icon next to the AA and BA ones. So even though there are actual Admirals Club agents in there, I think it may be more of a directly negotiated third-party contract lounge now instead of a pseudo-AC.

Indeed, on the website it's listed under "Other partner locations" (not ACs) with the note:
Alaska Lounge members must have a ticket for same-day travel departing that city on Alaska Airlines or American Airlines.
Before AS moved into T2 you still had access to this lounge but it was listed under the AC section according to a Wayback Machine archive from 2017. Of course only pmVX's SFO flights flew out of T2 so this was of limited use anyway since T1 is not connected.
You can access Airspace with your Amex Plat as well, which you should use if you have it as entering with AC/BR memberships don't get you the $10 premium food/bev credit that the Amex does.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by sudobuntu
You can access Airspace with your Amex Plat as well, which you should use if you have it as entering with AC/BR memberships don't get you the $10 premium food/bev credit that the Amex does.
Thanks for the information everyone. I did miss SAN listed in the "Other" section. Although I have access to US domiciled CC accounts as a non-resident alien, most of my consumption throughout the year is in Canada. As such, a lot of card products with bonus spend categories & transfer partners are less appealing to me as I can't extract maximum value from them relative to cost. I personally value the BofA Alaska companion certificate more for my personal travel needs. I used to hold Amex products but discontinued using them when Costco switch to Visa.

SFO for now is a plus. Post October and once the SFO AL opens, I will reassess.

James
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP

SAN AC is listed under “Other Lounges.” The SAN AC is cobranded with AirSpace. The other cobranded ACs are HNL (JAL) and MIA Concourse E (British Airways/Iberia/Qatar Airways).

SCL AC closed.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.