Boeing-to-Airbus Swaps on SEA-MSP

Old May 31, 19, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, American
Boeing-to-Airbus Swaps on SEA-MSP

I travel this route a lot, and sadly they seem to lately be swapping in the dreaded VA planes (smaller first class, no real premium coach, etc.) Anyone know if this is a long-term move?

Old May 31, 19, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rmockler View Post
I travel this route a lot, and sadly they seem to lately be swapping in the dreaded VA planes (smaller first class, no real premium coach, etc.) Anyone know if this is a long-term move?

They'll be reconfigured, system wide, by early 2020. If anyone on here has a way to predict aircraft swaps, I'm sure we'd all love to hear about it!
Old May 31, 19, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by rmockler View Post
Yes, AS is going to opportunistically plug in ceo A319s/A320s on shorter/midcon routes because they are better fitted for those missions (and putting larger B739s on routes like SFO/LAX-NYC). It also lets them tweak capacity to better match demand (selling less cheap seats). You can already see this on SEA-LAS.

Eventually they will reconfigure the planes, as stated, but they're out to make money...
scklumb likes this.
Old May 31, 19, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
ORD has seen the Airbii on some frequencies as well. Lots of mixing occurring.
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 31, 19, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, DL Plat, AS 75K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I'm on this route pretty every other week. The Airbus change has been less than great as a 75K. It used to be a guaranteed upgrade and is now a far less frequent occurrence. Obviously why they made the change. Looking forward at my bookings it is all Airbus. I do miss the upgrades but love having the TVs, makes the flight nearly comprable to the 737s in my mind. So much better than watching on my tiny phone screen.
Old May 31, 19, 9:07 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
As has early PDX-SEA flights, followed by an E175 on the next flight. I try to avoid the older Airbii but eager to try a reconfigured one.

James
Old May 31, 19, 10:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP/Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
As has early PDX-SEA flights, followed by an E175 on the next flight. I try to avoid the older Airbii but eager to try a reconfigured one.

James
Iíve been on a few of the reconfigured flights now, and in fact will be on one next week. They are just as nice as the 737s but the only issue is in going from a 739 to a 320 first goes from 4 rows to 3 and the premium is only 4 rows.
Old Jun 1, 19, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
(and putting larger B739s on routes like SFO/LAX-NYC). It also lets them tweak capacity to better match demand (selling less cheap seats).
Or in the case of SFO/LAX-NYC, sell more cheap seats and complain about premium cabin seats not selling.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Jun 1, 19, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Waitlisted View Post
Iíve been on a few of the reconfigured flights now, and in fact will be on one next week. They are just as nice as the 737s but the only issue is in going from a 739 to a 320 first goes from 4 rows to 3 and the premium is only 4 rows.
I was on a reconfigured transcon last week, on a legacy VX route, and many in the F cabin were livid. People were complaining about no TVs, the downgraded seats, etc. One person even went so far as to recognize and comment that the snack basket isn't out for the whole flight like VX used to do (though I thought that change happened a while ago). I booked well in advance on this one, and never saw U space open, but I got my upgrade day of departure, along with a half dozen others. So I suspect half the cabin was paid F.

It's no wonder some of these legacy VX crews seem in a less happy mood lately. It must be demoralizing to have to hear people complain about this stuff all the time (and know they're right).
Old Jun 1, 19, 1:08 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Waitlisted View Post
I am still leary about a swap between a reconfigured Arbus and one with the old footprint. I have been in F a few times, row 6 once, and 17. I can't sit in row 6 because the distorted image of myself in the purple plexi-glass makes me nauseous. I choose row 17 at booking and don't really care about an upgrade on the old Airbus.

I do believe, though, that U space will be much better once all the Airbii are reconfigured as there won't be swaps between 6 & 4 seat F.

James
Old Jun 1, 19, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Originally Posted by channa View Post
I was on a reconfigured transcon last week, on a legacy VX route, and many in the F cabin were livid. People were complaining about no TVs, the downgraded seats, etc.
I was on a new-configured Airbus ORD-SEA a couple of weekends ago in row 9, the last row of PE. Hard product was fine for what it was, but F looked sad and disappointing by comparison (in fact, Mrs. BearX220 and I joked the PE was essentially F with a slightly narrower seat and without the bad food), and staff + service were lackluster all around (drink cart did not appear until 1h 40m into a 3h 30m flight; young, outmatched FA made sure to tell each passenger, "Welcome to Premium Class," clearly following mandated script, although by the time she said it to row 9, the flight was well past the halfway point).

It was an OK flight even so from where we sat (and in any Y config I appreciate the Airbus' extra width) but I would certainly not pay for F as delivered here and can see why VX veterans would think it a very poor, weak show.
channa likes this.
Old Jun 1, 19, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by channa View Post
I was on a reconfigured transcon last week, on a legacy VX route, and many in the F cabin were livid. People were complaining about no TVs, the downgraded seats, etc. One person even went so far as to recognize and comment that the snack basket isn't out for the whole flight like VX used to do (though I thought that change happened a while ago). I booked well in advance on this one, and never saw U space open, but I got my upgrade day of departure, along with a half dozen others. So I suspect half the cabin was paid F.

It's no wonder some of these legacy VX crews seem in a less happy mood lately. It must be demoralizing to have to hear people complain about this stuff all the time (and know they're right).
I flew SFO-ORD on a reconfigured A320 in F. Thought the seats were pretty comfortable, though the footrest was useless and would have preferred a legrest like the VX seats had. I agree this product is completely uncompetitive on transcon routes and a serious downgrade from the VX product. I understand AS wanted to increase premium seating on these aircraft, but think it was a big mistake not to install IFE screens when they already spent so much time and money on refurbishments. Every time Iím on an aircraft lacking PTVs from SFO (usually to ORD or JFK), I hear pax complaining about how it seems ďlow budget.Ē Also, the satellite WiFi was inop and the pax in the row ahead of me clearly didnít understand that you could still access the streaming IFE until late in the flight.
channa likes this.
Old Jun 1, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post
would have preferred a legrest like the VX seats had.
Fully functional leg rests on those VX seats are becoming harder and harder to find. I'm sure this is a function of reduced maintenance, but most of the time I'm funding they either won't deploy at all, or won't stay up with the slightest weight put on them. Don't get me wrong - I'll miss the old seats when they are completely gone, especially the legroom and recline, but something needed to be done before they literally fall apart.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 2, 19, 10:05 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by crjtraveler View Post
I'm on this route pretty every other week. The Airbus change has been less than great as a 75K. It used to be a guaranteed upgrade and is now a far less frequent occurrence. Obviously why they made the change. Looking forward at my bookings it is all Airbus. I do miss the upgrades but love having the TVs, makes the flight nearly comprable to the 737s in my mind. So much better than watching on my tiny phone screen.
I may be joining the SEA-MSP route every other week as well starting in July. Thanks for the tips/warning on this route. I flew a lot of VX aircraft in the early days of the merger and sometimes had ALL of row 17 to myself (both sides) while the rest of the aircraft was packed full. The old VX rules segregated elites much better. Row 17 on the Airbus is a comfortable place. I never got an F upgrade in those early days as they weren't doing comp upgrades yet. I am not sure if I will ever get into the white seat before they are gone.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: