FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Alaska Visa - Chip & PIN? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1972113-alaska-visa-chip-pin.html)

Cardboard55 May 31, 2019 3:36 pm

Alaska Visa - Chip & PIN?

Has anyone here successfully used their Alaska Airlines Visa card as a chip and PIN card in Europe at an unattended location (kiosk, etc.)? I have found some articles claiming that BofA credit cards support this, and I was able to set a PIN on mine online, but I haven't seen any reports actually confirming it works (or if all BofA cards support it). I can (and will) call BofA to ask, but I have more confidence in someone telling me that they've actually done it than what I'm told by a customer service rep...

williwaw May 31, 2019 4:40 pm

Yup! Worked for me in Barcelona three years ago at kiosks. Doing it again this Summer in France. Some readers at stores and restaurants will revert to signature but it doesn’t matter there since a person can take care of it.

Cardboard55 May 31, 2019 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw (Post 31158508)
Yup! Worked for me in Barcelona three years ago at kiosks. Doing it again this Summer in France. Some readers at stores and restaurants will revert to signature but it doesn’t matter there since a person can take care of it.

Fantastic, great news. Thank you!

pcoll May 31, 2019 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw (Post 31158508)

same with us. Barcelona, marseille, Rome, Palermo and Malta in March. All worked great.

Flying for Fun May 31, 2019 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll (Post 31158591)

same with us. Barcelona, marseille, Rome, Palermo and Malta in March. All worked great.

I have used it in six continents in the last 6 months. :) Great security monitoring too. I used it in Panama City and 4 days later is was declined at a 7-11 in HKG Airport. Immediately received a text asking if I had made the purchases. I replied Yes, hit send, and the transition went through on the second try a minute later.

James

jinglish Jun 1, 2019 3:42 am

In my experience, American cards (including the AS Visa) with PINs will always default to signature verification unless the terminal is PIN-only.

Cardboard55 Jun 1, 2019 10:13 am

As long as they work in PIN-only terminals, I think I'm fine.

Do we know if there's some date after which the card has been issued for this to be enabled?

Sorry for so many questions; I just don't know of a way to test this before leaving the US, and I don't want to be met with a bad surprise if I think it will work and it doesn't!

sdsearch Jun 1, 2019 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Cardboard55 (Post 31160371)
I just don't know of a way to test this before leaving the US

This USB card reader:

plus a free-to-download program called http://pannetrat.com/Cardpeek/ lets you check any chip card on your computer to see which terminal protocols it supports. That's how I've been verifying the chip capabilities of every card I get for a few years now.

If you need more info on this, see this thread in the credit cards forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...re-2017-a.html

williwaw Jun 1, 2019 10:53 am

Do we know if there's some date after which the card has been issued for this to be enabled?

Sorry for so many questions; I just don't know of a way to test this before leaving the US, and I don't want to be met with a bad surprise if I think it will work and it doesn't!

If you log into the Bank of America site under card settings you can manage the PIN. If it lets you set one you should be all set. You can change the PIN up to once a day.

PaperGlider Jun 1, 2019 12:12 pm

And if you call the number on the back of the card and say "chip and pin" the automatic system will send you a PIN in the mail.

Thanks for posting this subject and information. It is helpful.

der_saeufer Jun 1, 2019 3:07 pm

On-the-ground data point, mine works fine in gas pumps and ticket kiosks in Belgium and the Netherlands.

It's online PIN only, which is rarely a problem--except at some French gas stations, where it's evidently still 1998. If you're not driving in France, you're unlikely to run into any issues.

Also +1 for Cardpeek :D

williwaw Jun 1, 2019 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by der_saeufer (Post 31161012)
On-the-ground data point, mine works fine in gas pumps and ticket kiosks in Belgium and the Netherlands.

It's online PIN only, which is rarely a problem--except at some French gas stations, where it's evidently still 1998. If you're not driving in France, you're unlikely to run into any issues.

Also +1 for Cardpeek :D

Thanks for that. Driving in France later this month. Was wondering if it would work for tolls. Maybe just stick to cash.

rustykettel Jun 1, 2019 7:09 pm

AS Visa (issued May 2017) worked fine in an Amsterdam gift shop as a PIN & chip transaction last year.