AS 653 (JFK-SFO) Canceled on 5/29/2019

Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
She told me she would try to get my whole hotel bill reimbursed, but, if not, she would reimburse the $200 max, and give the difference (about another $100-$150) as a discount code...
That's more like it. Who needs lie-flats with service like that....
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I have the worst luck trying to get out of NY. After my 5.5 hr delay 3 weeks ago from EWR... I'm on AS 653; JFK-SFO. R fare, upgrade cleared to F.
Well, I had the misfortune of taking 653 today, and had one of the most atrocious crews in ages, on any airline. As I've often said "if you need something and the crew is inattentive, ring the callbell." This crew didn't even respond to that. At least we arrived early. I'm now home guzzling water because even getting water was a chore at times. I flew smart on Saturday (on B6) and landed happy today (on AS) because the stupid flight was finally over.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just to close this out, I sent in my receipts 2 days ago. Today I got an email reply saying that they will send a check for both lyft rides (minus gratuities) as well as the full ($350-ish) hotel stay.

This is basically exactly what I was asking for, so I'm happy. There was no argument or negotiation -- I asked for this and they gave it to me.

I'm not sure if my status (MVPG) had anything to do with the fact that they are ignoring / waiving the $200 hotel max (as well as the fact that the hotel price is quite reasonable -- cheap, even -- for the area)
eponymous_coward and NoLaGent like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Another reason I'm not flying BOS/JFK/EWR westbound transcons on AS anymore, the 737 and A320 pit stops. Really don't want to see Salt Lake City that badly.

Appreciate that they've cut the pricing on F given the product, but only solved the problem in one direction.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Another reason I'm not flying BOS/JFK/EWR westbound transcons on AS anymore, the 737 and A320 pit stops. Really don't want to see Salt Lake City that badly.

Appreciate that they've cut the pricing on F given the product, but only solved the problem in one direction.
Well this was a plane that got clipped by another plane (from a different airline); it could happen to anyone on any flight in any direction.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Did any 737s have a pit stop? They all have the range even with significant winds. The problem was the non-ETOPs A320s. Which, this year they would switch out if there were significant winds. I don't have the data handy, but I believe there were far fewer visits to the crossroads of the West versus last year before the equipment integration.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:47 pm

Alaska switched most of their BOS and JFK transcons to 737-900ERs and A321NEOs. Reasons include the increased capacity of these aircraft (178 to 190 seats), lower cost per seat mile and the increased range. Some lower density transcon routes are operated with 738s. The pitstop issue was primarily on the non-sharklet A320, and was something that also plagued B6 back when they started flying. I have never seen a pitstop on a 739ER. SFO-BOS still gets A320s but overall more A320s are flying short west coast routes.
NYC Flyer likes this.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Jun 5, 2019 at 8:54 pm
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Alaska switched most of their BOS and JFK transcons to 737-900ERs and A321NEOs. Reasons include the increased capacity of these aircraft (178 to 190 seats), lower cost per seat mile and the increased range. Some lower density transcon routes are operated with 738s. The pitstop issue was primarily on the non-sharklet A320, and was something that also plagued B6 back when they started flying. I have never seen a pitstop on a 739ER. SFO-BOS still gets A320s but overall more A320s are flying short west coast routes.
Not really sure if the relevance but I'll take any 320 or 321 over any 737 on a flight of any significant length, regardless of carrier, especially if stuck in economy. The seats are significantly wider. Diversions are rare; you are much more likely to face some other issue than a diversion regardless of aircraft or route. It's not worth optimizing for.

The 737 is all about reducing operating costs and increasing range at the expense of customer comfort. This is not an AS-specific thing; the 737 is an uncomfortable ride regardless of which logo is painted on the outside of the plane.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:35 pm

Not really sure if the relevance but I'll take any 320 or 321 over any 737 on a flight of any significant length, regardless of carrier, especially if stuck in economy. The seats are significantly wider. Diversions are rare; you are much more likely to face some other issue than a diversion regardless of aircraft or route. It's not worth optimizing for.
The 737 is all about reducing operating costs and increasing range at the expense of customer comfort. This is not an AS-specific thing; the 737 is an uncomfortable ride regardless of which logo is painted on the outside of the plane.
Um, clearly you've not sampled the wares of Allegiant, Frontier, or Spirit if you make blanket statements like that...
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrAlex
Um, clearly you've not sampled the wares of Allegiant, Frontier, or Spirit if you make blanket statements like that...
Fair enough. But at least the seats are wider.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:42 pm

Fair enough. But at least the seats are wider.
Indeed they are. That's one of the many reasons why I feel the E175 is the best in the AS fleet - even wider seats.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrAlex
Indeed they are. That's one of the many reasons why I feel the E175 is the best in the AS fleet - even wider seats.
Yes! I only flew it once (SNA-SFO) and it was quite comfortable. Decent legroom in premium too. Seats are thin with minimal padding but I prefer that.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Is this right?

AS 737 17"
UA/B6/NK(!) A320 18"
AS E175 18.25"
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by williwaw
Is this right?

AS 737 17"
UA/B6/NK(!) A320 18"
AS E175 18.25"
That seems about right.

Carrier is really irrelevant for width on the narrowbodies. They all put the same number of seats across the same planes.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:41 am

Alright, I'm taking the tape measure with me in July on my trips that are a combo of 737s and A320s. I would wager a bet that the real potential width of 17A/F on 737s (and A320s for that matter) is something north of 18" as the arm rest is on the exit door. After some data collection, I'll start a new thread so we can put this to rest.
JacksonFlyer and williwaw like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.