Wiki Posts
Search

AS 653 (JFK-SFO) Canceled on 5/29/2019

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AS 653 (JFK-SFO) Canceled on 5/29/2019

I have the worst luck trying to get out of NY. After my 5.5 hr delay 3 weeks ago from EWR... I'm on AS 653; JFK-SFO. R fare, upgrade cleared to F.

Storm delayed our takeoff. Corridor closed, reopened, we move up and prepare for takeoff... and corridor closed again. They decide that they need to take a longer flight path; return to gate for more fuel.

Parked at the gate, and a BA plane is pushing back and clipped our wing. Flight cancelled due to plane damage. I'll try again tomorrow.

Cost me an upgrade Not even any non-middle premium seats left on tomorrow's flight; I did snag 17F though. This will only be my 2nd time in E- on AS. Hoping to snipe a premium window seat when upgrades clear (I'm too far down in the list to have any hope)

ETA: It took them TWO HOURS after the cancellation was announced to offload the checked bags.

Last edited by VegasGambler; May 30, 2019 at 12:01 am
Old May 30, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I have the worst luck trying to get out of NY. After my 5.5 hr delay 3 weeks ago from EWR... I'm on AS 653; JFK-SFO. R fare, upgrade cleared to F.

Storm delayed our takeoff. Corridor closed, reopened, we move up and prepare for takeoff... and corridor closed again. They decide that they need to take a longer flight path; return to gate for more fuel.

Parked at the gate, and a BA plane is pushing back and clipped our wing. Flight cancelled due to plane damage. I'll try again tomorrow.

Cost me an upgrade Not even any non-middle premium seats left on tomorrow's flight; I did snag 17F though. This will only be my 2nd time in E- on AS. Hoping to snipe a premium window seat when upgrades clear (I'm too far down in the list to have any hope)

ETA: It took them TWO HOURS after the cancellation was announced to offload the checked bags.
Good luck tomorrow!
Old May 30, 2019, 2:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thanks BA. Should write them to see if they'll send some Avios your way.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
When did R class become E-?

James
Old May 30, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Thanks BA. Should write them to see if they'll send some Avios your way.
Seriously, how does a professional pilot hit a parked plane? This is like someone who backs into a post trying to get out of a parking spot.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Seriously, how does a professional pilot hit a parked plane? This is like someone who backs into a post trying to get out of a parking spot.
Unfortunately I've done this before...

Wonder how full the BA flight was... imagine it went irrops too. Lots of EU261...
Old May 30, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Well, to be fair to the pilot, HE is not the one backing up, it is the tug driver. The reason why there are wing walkers is to help avoid these type of issues as well as look out for equipment movement around the plane. However lately I have seen these wing walkers do everything else other than watch the plane.
UAPremierExec and NoLaGent like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Well, to be fair to the pilot, HE is not the one backing up, it is the tug driver. The reason why there are wing walkers is to help avoid these type of issues as well as look out for equipment movement around the plane. However lately I have seen these wing walkers do everything else other than watch the plane.
Oh, I stand corrected.

I have actually never seen this process. I should look out the window at an airport sometimes.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:32 am

Oh, I stand corrected.

I have actually never seen this process. I should look out the window at an airport sometimes.
You might be surprised what you see

JacksonFlyer and rustykettel like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I did snag 17F though. This will only be my 2nd time in E- on AS. Hoping to snipe a premium window seat when upgrades clear (I'm too far down in the list to have any hope)
17F is not bad, I wouldn't call it E-. More legroom than premium, just no snack or unlimited drinks .
Old May 31, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmodemd
17F is not bad, I wouldn't call it E-. More legroom than premium, just no snack or unlimited drinks .
I got into 7F. It was a good flight.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Did Alaska proactively offer any compensation for your overnight delay? Did they cover hotel and meals? Imagine they could bill BA for some of that.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:37 am

I would imagine that's what insurance is for! Wing walkers are supposed to be watching the wings. Key is SUPPOSED. Also, tug driver needs to be watching their wing walkers. Failure of either of these results in a clipped wing. Nothing to do with the pilot. They cannot see the wingtips from the flight deck and certainly can't see what's behind them. Keep in mind rampers are minimum wage in most cases, pushing multi-million dollar assets around.....
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by tom911
Did Alaska proactively offer any compensation for your overnight delay? Did they cover hotel and meals? Imagine they could bill BA for some of that.
I do not think BA have any control over the Tug driver. If anyone was going to pay, it will be the insurance company of whomever is contracted to provide those services.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
They offered nothing, but I'll be calling customer care to discuss my lyft rides and hotel bill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.