Search

Mileage Plan Devaluation?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Mileage Plan Devaluation?

Long time AS-Gold w/BoardRoom.

Just attempted to book DEN-ANC using miles and the average is 50K miles for Main Cabin with a couple of 30K with very bad connections.

I realize the High Season has started but this is the worst pricing I have ever seen in 20+ years.

Did we see a miles devaluation recently?

Thanks
Old May 29, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's not recent as in last week, but AS changes to a distance-based chart happened some time ago, in 2017.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/01/max...d-award-chart/

The devaluation where 50k is the maximum AS Y award price happened in 2018.

https://onemileatatime.com/alaska-mi...chart-changes/

The worst news is that we’re seeing a big increase in the range of pricing for some markets, so when there’s not saver level award availability, you can expect to pay significantly more in some cases.
(emphasis added)

Basically, if you want to fly at absolute peak time, like, say, when SEA and ANC are in the middle of tourist season, you will be paying more miles.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Yes but I fly these routes fairly frequently and occasionally see 12.5K and atleast a few at 20K somewhere on the calendar.

This is the first time I have only seen 50K for weeks.

Maybe I just logged on at a bad time and new inventory will be made available in the days ahead.

No way that route is a 50K mile route. Better to just buy a ticket.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by arcticflier
Yes but I fly these routes fairly frequently and occasionally see 12.5K and atleast a few at 20K somewhere on the calendar.

Maybe I just logged on at a bad time and new inventory will be made available in the days ahead.

What, you don't prefer a Recaro slimline to CX J?
be_rettSEA, williwaw and jinglish like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:08 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by arcticflier

Agree - saver availability is getting much tougher to come by...it's gotten really bad.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Agree - saver availability is getting much tougher to come by...it's gotten really bad.
It can appear during schedule changes or if a new route is loaded. But pulled quickly, and its limited when released. Also close in seems to have some A released, even when F=3 or less.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
For closer in I am seeing better saver availability on AA metal. AS wanted 50K for a Y award YLW to GDL (that is never going to happen ) I booked AS Y YLW-SEA and AA F SEA-PHX-GDL with a 2 Day stopover in PHX for 27.5K. A no brainer!

James
Old May 30, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
For domestic US there has been a pretty dramatic shift. For this SFO-based flyer I am transferring from Chase to UA for most domestic award tickets because it's a better value. Especially to DC. I have UA Silver which opens up more seats. UA is switching to dynamic pricing so this may level out with AS, so both will be bad value.

For international this year I used AS miles for 2x biz AY TXL-HEL-BKK and 2x biz EK SFO-DXB-SEZ/MRU-DXB-SFO. Couldn't get decent BA availability so booked 2x biz VS SFO-LHR with DL miles. But I have now blown a bunch of AS miles and am not earning that many more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.