Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on a Higher Tier (Premium) AS Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

I’m curious what the FT community thinks about a higher tiered Alaska Credit card, similar to what some of Alaska’s competitors offer (ex United MileagePlus Club card). For example, it would include Alaska lounge membership, 1.5 miles for every dollar spent, 4 miles on Alaska purchases, automatic basic Alaska MVP status, + all the perks of the Alaska signature card. Let’s say the yearly fee would be roughly $400 dollars. Personally I’m surprised Alaska doesn’t offer a higher tiered credit card. Thoughts?
Old May 28, 2019, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I don't want it to grant AS status.

They've looked at it.

If it were to launch, I'd be tempted. But I also like my AMEX CL access
Old May 28, 2019, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
I don't want it to grant AS status.

They've looked at it.

If it were to launch, I'd be tempted. But I also like my AMEX CL access
very valid concern. I mainly included that since it’s a benefit from some competitors higher tiered cards
Old May 29, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
It'd take a lot to convince me to give up the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Alaska lounges as a perk is not a credible benefit given the Priority Pass experience. They'll just dust off the sign and put it out for cardholders.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TProphet
It'd take a lot to convince me to give up the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Alaska lounges as a perk is not a credible benefit given the Priority Pass experience. They'll just dust off the sign and put it out for cardholders.
But, you can always carry more than one card... I have... umm.. many.
williwaw and DrAlex like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I'd treat such a card as complementary to my CSR. I would strongly oppose granting status to cardholders, though. AS current setup means elite flyers all earned it BIS and upgrades are honestly earned. A horde of once a year flyers with MVP will screw over all the MVPs who actually flew the miles and bought the fares.

Same for the lounges. The overcrowding finally eased with the shadow banning of the PP holders. Let's not go back to that. Besides, if you think it's hard to get in with PP now...
ctporter and wolfpacktrojan like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
This would be great. Give me 1.5x on all purchases, 5x on Alaska, and a lounge membership. All with a $395 annual fee. The 5x on AS may sound high, but the 3x with the current card is already above the norm. Could do a first class companion fare like Delta does as well. No automatic MVP status and don’t use it as a way to introduce a minimum spend or MQD requirement. That is the only reason people spend on the Delta Amex reserve, after all.

And make it a metal card of course
Old May 29, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Fare on the MVP Concerns. However, I doubt once a year flyers would purchase such a high fee card. I see it as being more for the MVP gold types that are willing to pay more to earn even more miles and get the lounge membership. I also think the card would in part cannibalize the elites that already purchase the lounge membership. Let’s say it doesn’t grant them status, but gives them Boarding group B priority since granting status seems to be a concern. I do think such a card would come with the expectation of easing the overall travel experience
Old May 29, 2019, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
This would be great. Give me 1.5x on all purchases, 5x on Alaska, and a lounge membership. All with a $395 annual fee. The 5x on AS may sound high, but the 3x with the current card is already above the norm. Could do a first class companion fare like Delta does as well. No automatic MVP status and don’t use it as a way to introduce a minimum spend or MQD requirement. That is the only reason people spend on the Delta Amex reserve, after all.

And make it a metal card of course
of course it would be metal!
Old May 29, 2019, 9:31 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Any new card, premium or otherwise, would be driven by Bank of America. AS's input would be on revenue sharing and benefits packaging.

I think free MVP would be a non-starter. It could include Alaska Lounge, priority boarding, maybe an AS travel credit, secondary rental car protection, trip interruption and/or baggage protections.

Keep in mind that BofA doesn't offer many premium cards currently.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The new card could also include an EQD spend waiver, and a waiver of minimum AS segments to earn status.

Oh. Wait.

No.
Premium.
Card,

Please!
Old May 29, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
I'd definitely be interested. I have the CSR as well, but I put enough spend on it from all of my hotel stays, flights with other airlines, and dining that I could easily warrant having both cards. Agreed on not giving any status with the card though, as I think group A boarding would suffice for leisure travelers.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
The survey sent around a month or so ago suggests they are looking at ways to further generate ancillary fee revenue. The idea of selling "MVP for a Day" was one of the options. I don't fully understand the financial give and take on the credit card to airline relationship, so correct me if I am wrong. But I assume the credit card issuer pays the airline for the perks. So the question would be if BoA see's any growth potential by selling that add on product. Does BoA even have that sort of product line? Barclay's, Chase and AMEX seem to have honed the model.

I think based on that survey I'd expect to see AS sell those benefits in create ways before they get bundled and attached to a card.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by williwaw
The survey sent around a month or so ago suggests they are looking at ways to further generate ancillary fee revenue. The idea of selling "MVP for a Day" was one of the options. I don't fully understand the financial give and take on the credit card to airline relationship, so correct me if I am wrong. But I assume the credit card issuer pays the airline for the perks. So the question would be if BoA see's any growth potential by selling that add on product. Does BoA even have that sort of product line? Barclay's, Chase and AMEX seem to have honed the model.

I think based on that survey I'd expect to see AS sell those benefits in create ways before they get bundled and attached to a card.
The Amex cards are a cash cow for Delta. I think I read something like “billions in revenue”. This seems like a natural way for BoA to inject themselves into the premium credit card market.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:09 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
The only thing that I think is missing from the card is priority boarding, TBH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.