Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on a Higher Tier (Premium) AS Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on a Higher Tier (Premium) AS Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by williwaw
I do miss the ability to use companion fare in F.....
You can if you use GGU with companion.
williwaw likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Xrayman
You can if you use GGU with companion.
Sure, but then you have to a) have and use two GGUs and b) have U availability. Not having to deal with either would be a nice perk of a high-fee credit card. Personally, I'd prefer two coach companion tickets to one F-eligible one.

Last edited by ashill; May 29, 2019 at 9:40 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Even as MVPG I find the companion fare to be worthless. I'm not even sure if I'll get to use the "free" one, never mind the $99 ones. I'll definitely cancel the card before ny first anniversary. The old VX card had companion fares too and I let every single one expire unused.
Perhaps you need a lesson on "tips" & "tricks" to maximize Companion Certificate value! With GGUs (or an eligible fare) you can most certainty sit in F and have your companion at your side and visit multiple cities, even in different countries.

I am not in favour of a full MVP Status. Earning EQM on spend would be okay as long as you couldn't earn Elite Status through spend only.

I don't think AS could support a Lounge Benefit. AA has lounges all over to spread out the utilization and it wouldn't be of any benefit (including SFO right now) to a lot of customers outside the West & JFK.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I am not in favour of a full MVP Status.
I can’t imagine it happening anyway.

I don't think AS could support a Lounge Benefit. AA has lounges all over to spread out the utilization and it wouldn't be of any benefit (including SFO right now) to a lot of customers outside the West & JFK.
Why not? By that logic, AS couldn’t support lounge membership either. Everything about AS is smaller, including number of customers, number of lounge members, and number of lounges. And if the card conveys lounge membership (like the AA card), not just access, it would provide access to AA lounges. Given that AA already does that for their cardholders with AS lounges, I assume it would be fine.

I don’t think AS is all that concerned with customers outside the west anyway.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Perhaps you need a lesson on "tips" & "tricks" to maximize Companion Certificate value! With GGUs (or an eligible fare) you can most certainty sit in F and have your companion at your side and visit multiple cities, even in different countries.
If you have any tips and tricks to help me get value from them while traveling solo, I'm all ears. Otherwise they are worthless to me. I've only been on the same PNR with someone else once on AS, and one other time on the same flight as a friend (not booked at the same time though)
jinglish likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The flexibility and perks of credit card based point schemes seems to outweigh many of these airline focused cards, so it's tough to imagine something so good from an airline that would be worth paying a substantial annual fee for.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Even as MVPG I find the companion fare to be worthless. I'm not even sure if I'll get to use the "free" one, never mind the $99 ones. I'll definitely cancel the card before ny first anniversary. The old VX card had companion fares too and I let every single one expire unused.

I got my 40k miles and I'm happy with that. I don't even like to buy AS tickets on the card -- I much prefer the CSR for the travel insurance.

Honestly this is not unusual -- the bottom-level airline credit cards are all kind of trashy, unless you have no status and want the free checked bags. The AS one is better than the others, but still not good enough for me to want to use it.

Why cant you use the companion fare? Are you always a solo traveler?
Old May 29, 2019, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Which co-branded airline CC provide free elite status?
The Continental Presidential Plus card. It's no longer available to acquire, but my dad still has it as it was grand fathered in after the merger.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ASA_1
Why cant you use the companion fare? Are you always a solo traveler?
Pretty much...

Honestly I'll probably use it before it expires (I got the "free" one at signup) so even if I use it on some west coast short hop it's better than letting it go to waste. But paying another $75 AF to get one that costs $99 to use definitely has no value for me.

Given the quality of the AS lounges (compared to the other airline "club" lounges) a club card (giving free club access) might be worthwhile for AS.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

If you have any tips and tricks to help me get value from them while traveling solo, I'm all ears. Otherwise they are worthless to me. I've only been on the same PNR with someone else once on AS, and one other time on the same flight as a friend (not booked at the same time though)
You do know that GGUs can be used on yourself right?
Old May 30, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ASA_1
You do know that GGUs can be used on yourself right?
I don't like paying for K
Old May 30, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by ashill

Why not? By that logic, AS couldn’t support lounge membership either. Everything about AS is smaller, including number of customers, number of lounge members, and number of lounges. And if the card conveys lounge membership (like the AA card), not just access, it would provide access to AA lounges. Given that AA already does that for their cardholders with AS lounges, I assume it would be fine.

Interesting thoughts!

Indeed it could provide access to AA lounges in Alaska's Markets through their existing lounge access agreement, however, given the option between a new BofA Premium Alaska CC with an Alaska Lounge membership and access to a subset of Admirals Clubs or the AAdvantage World Elite CC with an AC membership and access to all Alaska Lounges, which would you choose? I know what is in my wallet! An AL membership isn't going to give me access to an AA Flagship lounge if I am flying AA international J.

Indeed, everything is smaller with Alaska, except perhaps, proportionately, the number of Elites. Many Elites flying AS don't find value in an Alaska Lounge Membership on it's own. If a BofA Premium Alaska Card bundled an Alaska Lounge Membership with other desireable perks there may well be an influx of new AL memberships that AL couldn't handle with their smaller footprint. I assume it could be problematic.

I don’t think AS is all that concerned with customers outside the west anyway.
While Alaska may not be all that concerned with customers outside the West, BofA may very well be. It isn't the Bank of Western America; scale is important.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:44 am

Book two seats for yourself then nobody has to sit beside you. Gives you more room to waffle! You should go back an re-read your own posts to see how much you contradict yourself.

James
Old May 30, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Don’t think I would be interested in another premium card. I don’t spend enough on AS to make, say, 5X worthwhile if I could instead get 5X MR or 3X UR. Lounge access? Meh. Obviously, different people have different needs and preferences, but cards like Amex Plat and CSR seem to be a better choice for me as a free agent (with a slight bias towards AS).
Old May 30, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Don’t think I would be interested in another premium card. I don’t spend enough on AS to make, say, 5X worthwhile if I could instead get 5X MR or 3X UR. Lounge access? Meh. Obviously, different people have different needs and preferences, but cards like Amex Plat and CSR seem to be a better choice for me as a free agent (with a slight bias towards AS).
Remember that people pay for club memberships. On these cards, the AF is usually cheaper than the membership fee (at least that's how it is on UA; not sure about the other ones)

I agree that it's not a great deal (I would not pay for a lounge membership) but there are certainly many people who are happy to and feel that they get good value from the fee, so there is a market for it.
ashill likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.