Is MVPG 75K actually worth it?

Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I did a CX Premium Economy trip last year LAX-HKG-SIN and back; it was not unbearable; be sure to get a bulkhead seat if you can so you can have a leg rest.

Originally Posted by MeanwhileBackAtFAI
I found SFO-HKG-JNB RT in W on CX for $2,190 with plenty of availability at that price in Q4 2019. That's 54,232 miles for the RT +10% booking class +125% Elite for a total of 127,447 miles earned plus 50k 75G miles for a grand total of 177,447 miles. Even at a 2c valuation that's still $3.5k worth of miles for a $2.1k payment. Or looking at it another way it's another long-haul J award.

Unless I get word of some ATL-ZHR business travel that may be happening this summer I will go ahead and buy that CX trip and be done worrying about it.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kurt
I did a CX Premium Economy trip last year LAX-HKG-SIN and back; it was not unbearable; be sure to get a bulkhead seat if you can so you can have a leg rest.
I tend to sit as far away from the bulkhead as possible. The idea of a bassinet with a constantly screaming infant on a 14 hour flight is just not appealing to me.
(Nothing against infants per se, not their fault that air travel is a bear on them, just don't like to sit next to them.)
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rbAA
Actually, looks like it's 23,562 BIS so 25,918 EQM's with the 10% COS bonus and 55,371 RDM's per RT for MVPG75k (125% bonus.) Most of the dates at $2190 are E so not UPG'able with Asia Miles. A fairly comfortable PE seat though and nice layover in HKG on the outbound, a little too long on the return but OK if you're spending the day in HKG.
I am glad I re-read what you wrote. Thank you so much for pointing out the flaw in my reasoning!!!

I used milecalc.com and wasn't paying attention, entered SFO-HKG-JNB-HKG-SFO into their multi-city tool which would count as a one-way in that configuration even though my intent was to look for a RT as I was playing around with different itineraries in that tool.

/sigh

Thanks again, you saved me from a rude awakening!
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I am glad I re-read what you wrote. Thank you so much for pointing out the flaw in my reasoning!!!

I used milecalc.com and wasn't paying attention, entered SFO-HKG-JNB-HKG-SFO into their multi-city tool which would count as a one-way in that configuration even though my intent was to look for a RT as I was playing around with different itineraries in that tool.

/sigh

Thanks again, you saved me from a rude awakening!
I had noticed that as well. 54K is twice around the world.

James

Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lol, I made almost the exact same mistake. I entered just one way, but then I doubled the RT number!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by rbAA
I would agree with your math, and I'm in a similar situation. International flights mainly since I live in BKK, so MVPG should be fine. I'm about 30k short of requalifying MVP Gold 75k, so maybe those 50k bonus miles would not be worth the extra costs. It's only June, so we'll see what the rest of the year holds.
Originally Posted by ctporter
I agree that it is better for those that fly mostly domestic and cannot buy FC (corporate travel policies) but still get a good percentage of upgrades. The no bag fees, no change and cancellation fees can be obtained without having to reach that extra tier. The OP mentioned they are not relying on upgrades, they purchase FC for domestic flights so it makes even less sense I think.
Yeah, I dont fly enough to justify the cost to jump over 75K level. If I lose out on upgrades on those transcon trips, its not end of world since I dont fly often but I got lucky with F upgrade on LAX-BWI flight from October 2017 as AS MVP member. It's only $1k or so with bonus to buy 50k miles, which is cheaper than doing some mileage run (wish AS award 1.5 EQM for those premium economy fares like AA do for CX).
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I guess I got lucky - no babies in sight. I was on the 77H (777-300) and chose row 32K LAX-HKG and vv. There is a lavatory right there but the door is on the forward side so it did not cause any disturbance. The A330 was also nice to/from SIN - this is 30 A/B.

I tend to sit as far away from the bulkhead as possible. The idea of a bassinet with a constantly screaming infant on a 14 hour flight is just not appealing to me.
(Nothing against infants per se, not their fault that air travel is a bear on them, just don't like to sit next to them.)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Thanks for the healthy discussion folks, I really appreciated.
This has been handy for me too - thanks! I am set to get to 57k of AS BIS this year and tempted to push but might just see if cheap I/P upfares show up on work trips for the CoS and see where I get. I am happy to just be MVPG again but if I sneak up closer I could be tempted. Downside of lots of business travel is a weary seat....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.