Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Delta Status match for Alaska with Level Upgrade

Old May 26, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k

Seems Delta is running a timed promotion for all Alaska elites where when you status match, you get bumped up a level meaning Alaska MVP = Delta Gold, MVP Gold = Delta Platinum etc. check out the chart below and when you scroll down you can see where it shows Alaska Airlines. My fear is Alaska will do the same and the first class and premium cabins will be overrun by X-Delta flyers like what happened last time. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...challenge.html
Old May 26, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
A few things worth noting:

This is only a match for three months. To extend to January 2020, there is a miles flown and dollars spent component.

Also - this promotion ends on June 16, a few weeks shy of July 1 when Delta status challenges will extend to January 2021.

Old May 26, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't AS already offer status matches with no challenge?
Old May 26, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Of course, but that's not the OP's point. Their fear is that they would do the same as DL and elevate to a higher tier, i.e. DL Silver would skip MVP and become MVPG.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
They do, but in the current promotion allows you to jump up in status vs matching status.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Not sure how great of a deal this is. So... Id have to jump through hoops (EQD and MQM) just to keep this matched status for eight months. In tandem, Id have to earn status the old fashioned way for next year? Starting halfway through the year?

Or... I could wait for July 1 and challenge to my same level through January 2021. This option still seems better to me.

I doubt Alaska will feel compelled to compete with this. Their match is already much more generous than Delta.
VegasGambler likes this.

Last edited by Bretmd; May 27, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old May 27, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I almost did that last year 75K > Platinum, i had found a $1100 China Southern flight in Premium economy that was going to meet the MQD and MQM w/ 1 additional BOS-MSP-BOS. However i cancelled once the announcement for their departure form skyteam. MQD aren't hard to earn on DL when traveling on partners since they are based on percent of miles flown vs the actual cost. Cost of awards with miles earned is the biggest downfall.
jinglish likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:58 am

Tempting but this is basically a challenge, not a status match. Same as with AA's challenge. Except this has no charge to sign up.

And it isn't a "level up" if you have MVP75
Old May 27, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I'm MVPG and won't be doing the match. No point -- I need all the Alaska segments I can get to maintain status (Mainly west coast flights).

Interesting offer, but Alaska's great service, loyalty program and transfer partners keep me loyal.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
I almost did that last year 75K > Platinum, i had found a $1100 China Southern flight in Premium economy that was going to meet the MQD and MQM w/ 1 additional BOS-MSP-BOS. However i cancelled once the announcement for their departure form skyteam. MQD aren't hard to earn on DL when traveling on partners since they are based on percent of miles flown vs the actual cost. Cost of awards with miles earned is the biggest downfall.
+1

I status matched MVPG 75K to DL Platinum and the experience has been fairly meh. I don't think DL Platinum is actually worth anything, not to me at least. When departing out of BNA, ATL, SFO, there are approximately 44507450748784750394785 DL Diamond Medallion holders ahead in the upgrade line. DL has orders of magnitude more Diamonds than AS has 75Ks (my gut feeling, don't have hard data). Unless you are DL Diamond, have the upper tier DL credit card, you can kiss upgrades on popular routes/times good-bye . So even if you manage to inch up into DL Diamond, those who spent far more, have the CC, and are million milers will get upgraded long before you do.

I am not longer on the west coast so I will probably need to let the AS plan go, if I do then I will just buy the cheapest fare on whatever carrier, not worry about miles, and collect Marriott points instead.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I have a trip on Delta in September, but it starts on the 20th, so I would miss it by 4 days. If I have already booked that travel and then decide to do this challenge and get complimentary MVPG75 --> Platinum match, would I get a true Platinum experience if I add that status to my Delta account? i.e. does it apply to existing reservations?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by jonfran21
I have a trip on Delta in September, but it starts on the 20th, so I would miss it by 4 days. If I have already booked that travel and then decide to do this challenge and get complimentary MVPG75 --> Platinum match, would I get a true Platinum experience if I add that status to my Delta account? i.e. does it apply to existing reservations?
Yes I did this two years ago and existing reservations reflected matched status as soon as it was approved.

Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Short term, it may feel like a great deal, but in reality, most will feel cheated as mileage earned has little to do with butt in seats. Then, when it comes to spending those miles, your magic "free travel" carpet rugs is pulled and with no places to go. Seriously, Delta offers no dreams and more headaches.

Jiburi
DrAlex likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.