Alaska iPhone App

Old May 24, 2019, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I miss the native blackberry OS version.
missamo80 likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Wish I could downgrade

The text wrapping of flight descriptions is too much on the trips page, it used to shrink the font size to fit all on one line... now I can fit at most 3 trips per screen.
On the trips page, the background is purple and yellow, and that just seems totally off-brand. It's distracting.

It looks like someone took the poorly-designed beta trips page from the website and forced it into the app. Please revert this, it's poor in so many ways.

One upside I see... having the Flight Status be on the bottom bar
Old May 24, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Seems mostly the same as the old one. It looks like the ability to search for and book partner awards had been added, which is nice.

Still no way to search for K+ space or apply GGUs in the app. Also, showing baggage info would be nice. Information about where your plane currently is (like they have in the UA app) would also be nice.
+1
the new features are a yawn until i can search for and apply GGU and find out where my plane is
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:58 am

Ultimately I think the UX refresh is nice. It's a much more modern feel to it. The next step is to extend it to the entirety of the app. Please continue to add new features!
Old May 27, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
The old Trips page was much better to read and use, as it was simple and without drop down menus and links. The trip descriptions on the new layout seem bloated, and just like Bmvaughn said, now I can not see more than 4 trips at a time. iMHO, some of those functions can be moved to the specific trip page (next page).

Please keep the app simple to maneuver between tabs and functions. DL's app displays a lot more info and I think has more functions than the AS app, but the DL app is complicated and sometimes confusing to use. The UA app is complicated to use as well.

Adding features to the app is a step in the right direction. Thanks!
Old May 27, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by KnownasEric
Ultimately I think the UX refresh is nice. It's a much more modern feel to it. The next step is to extend it to the entirety of the app. Please continue to add new features!
Interesting. To me the new icons look like they were drawn by a child, and the Trips font seems unlike what they use anywhere else and somehow off.

Along with many things mentioned above that are missing from the app, there are some real basic things like why can't I see the price I paid for my booked tickets???
Old May 27, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought I would get used to the background of the trips page but it's not happening. I'm not sure if the person who chose it was colorblind or high or whatever but it's got to go.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I would like information about the terminal when an airport has multiple terminals so I know where to be dropped off for checked bags (ie where are the ticket counters). I realize gates change, but the terminal typically do not except for SEA where I have had an AS flight leaving out of every terminal. For example, both ORD (L, G, H gates?) and SAN (terminal 1 or 2?) have changed recently from what I understand, so it would be nice to have on the app the current information based on my flight date as to where the ticket counters are just in case I need to check a bag (tools).
Old May 28, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Just updated and booked a flight with the new app and found a weird bug. My address is “invalid” on the app, but not when I book on the website.

It is a box number in the following format: #zz-www. The app gives me an error saying the only characters allowed are “hyphens, periods and apostrophes.” Deleting the hash so it’s zz-www still gives me an error, despite having a hyphen in between the two numbers.

The other weird bug I’ve found is my passport info is automatically added on international flights booked via the app, but I have to manually add it when booking on the website. I’d much rather book everything on the app, but I can’t because I still can’t use my wallet funds to pay for things on the app.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Interesting. To me the new icons look like they were drawn by a child, and the Trips font seems unlike what they use anywhere else and somehow off.

Along with many things mentioned above that are missing from the app, there are some real basic things like why can't I see the price I paid for my booked tickets???
I think the icons are fine. Ultimately, industry standard is now a minimal, flat approach - which is what you are seeing. I think a lot of the gripes on this thread are more about the fact that it changed rather than what the changes were (for example - the fact that you can't see more than four reservations at a time. How many Alaska customers fly so often they need to see 5 reservations immediately? The answer is so low it's probably not worth them investing in designing a UX around those customers).

I think it's great that Alaska is finally starting to refresh their app. It's one of the worst in the industry and could use a refresh with a facelift and new features.
tusphotog and thegingninj like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by KnownasEric
I think the icons are fine. Ultimately, industry standard is now a minimal, flat approach - which is what you are seeing. I think a lot of the gripes on this thread are more about the fact that it changed rather than what the changes were (for example - the fact that you can't see more than four reservations at a time. How many Alaska customers fly so often they need to see 5 reservations immediately? The answer is so low it's probably not worth them investing in designing a UX around those customers).

I think it's great that Alaska is finally starting to refresh their app. It's one of the worst in the industry and could use a refresh with a facelift and new features.
We may be the exception but I routinely have five or more flights on tap.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JPat

Me too!
Old May 28, 2019, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BW Flyer

Me too!
Don't most FTers do?
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can actually see 5 at a time (on Android; Samsung S9+; not even a latest-gen phone)

But I still can't see them all (I currently have 6 AS trips active). I have 9 in tripcase (and they all fit on the screen there)
Old May 29, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by JPat

At least 15 flights at all times. However I have no issues with just scrolling down. Non issue.
KnownasEric likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.