Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS refused to check my bags through despite policy on website

AS refused to check my bags through despite policy on website

Old May 22, 19, 2:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,552
AS refused to check my bags through despite policy on website

Just a datapoint... I had a 9 hr overnight connection in JFK on separate tickets. The agents tried to check it through to my final destination, and had all the segments up (4 total) but the JFK connection was showing up as an illegal connection. It was AS -> AS metal; AS -> JL ticket stock. Two agents couldn't make it work, one went to talk to a supervisor and came back saying that the other is that they won't store the bags in JFK overnight.

This is not what the website claims -- just a warning.

Does anyone know if you can rent lockers or something anywhere in JFK? Something big enough to fit a carry-on-sized bag and preferably a backpack as well...
VegasGambler is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 2:50 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: AS MVPG, DL PM, New Sagaya
Posts: 899
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Just a datapoint... I had a 9 hr overnight connection in JFK on separate tickets. The agents tried to check it through to my final destination, and had all the segments up (4 total) but the JFK connection was showing up as an illegal connection. It was AS -> AS metal; AS -> JL ticket stock. Two agents couldn't make it work, one went to talk to a supervisor and came back saying that the other is that they won't store the bags in JFK overnight.

This is not what the website claims -- just a warning.

Does anyone know if you can rent lockers or something anywhere in JFK? Something big enough to fit a carry-on-sized bag and preferably a backpack as well...
I've seen the luggage storage place on the way out of the baggage claim areas, if I remember. Google suggests there are a couple options in some terminals. But I've not used them.
williwaw is online now  
Old May 22, 19, 3:05 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,905
Ugh that's rough... perhaps ask @ JFK?
beckoa is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 3:14 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 32,206
Travel that includes multiple flights

If your trip includes more than one flight on Alaska Airlines and/or one of our airline partners, we will check your bags to the final destination on your ticket as long as there are fewer than 12 hours between flights.If you will be in the connecting city for 12 hours or longer, you will need to claim and re-check your baggage. Additional baggage fees may apply.
Ouch. I would send the storage bill to AS Customer Care, with a lovely screenshot of its web page, as there are no restrictions posted, such as sunrise, sunset, eclipse, anything turning into a pumpkin hour, moon hits your eye, and so on.

On second thought, I'd send the bill and complaint to an executive, as you're likely to get a response as meaningful as a canned reply to a PDB issue from Customer Care.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 7:17 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,471
I've got a similar case coming up in SFO traveling BWI-SFO-OGG. Arrival at SFO is 9:50pm departure is 7:40am.
We are okay within the 12 hours.
However, do you think the bag will be stored in a safe place not at risk of pilferage and they will remember to load it the next morning?
chuck1 is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 7:42 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,542
I'm wondering if Alaska may pull out the "they are booked in two different PNR" cards and say no to any compensation. Some airlines aren't even allowing agents to add in other airline segments or connections - everything has to be booked at the same time from the same source!

There also could be an issue in JFK because of the overnight "storage" of bags. TSA sometimes won't allow it depending on the circumstances - and being a large international airport, it very well could be a local TSA rule...

let us know how this turns out!
UAPremierExec is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 7:56 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 32,206
Well, the agents tried, so they believed it to be permissible, but the system inhibited it for a reason - and perhaps there's a legitimate reason, but the passenger needs to know about this prior to travel (which includes prior to getting to the airport).
jjmadison, wrp96, jinglish and 1 others like this.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 7:59 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG
Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Posts: 5,033
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post
I'm wondering if Alaska may pull out the "they are booked in two different PNR" cards and say no to any compensation. Some airlines aren't even allowing agents to add in other airline segments or connections - everything has to be booked at the same time from the same source!
Then pull this out of their policy

When making international connections on a separate ticket to other airlines within twelve (12) hours of arriving in the connection city, you may follow the baggage allowance and weight restrictions of the international airline - provided a ticketing and baggage agreement is in place between Alaska Airlines and the other carrier.
jinglish likes this.
rustykettel is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 8:35 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 2,032
Originally Posted by chuck1 View Post
However, do you think the bag will be stored in a safe place not at risk of pilferage and they will remember to load it the next morning?
Yeah, this is why I'd be extremely wary. Last year, after my bag missed a tight connection, AA kept it at MIA overnight to load it on the following night's SCL departure. Someone that next morning threw it on the CCS flight instead, and I wound up getting my luggage a whole two days late. The longer your bag's sitting around, the greater the likelihood something is going to go wrong.
icelandman2 likes this.
jinglish is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 8:42 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 18,076
Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
Yeah, this is why I'd be extremely wary. Last year, after my bag missed a tight connection, AA kept it at MIA overnight to load it on the following night's SCL departure. Someone that next morning threw it on the CCS flight instead, and I wound up getting my luggage a whole two days late. The longer your bag's sitting around, the greater the likelihood something is going to go wrong.
The point where carriers hand off bags to each other seem the be the most common point for lost/delayed bags. Back when i checked bags, i always short checked on overnight layover even when its the same ticket.
CDKing is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 9:08 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Toronto, ON
Programs: AS MVPG75k, Delta Platinum Medallion, AA Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 95
The policy is clear that they will check through/interline a bag if the layover/connection is 12 hours or less; it isn't clear if they will do this if one is traveling on separate tickets, which the OP stated s/he was traveling on, as the policy states, "...on your ticket," not "...on your tickets."

I booked a business class reward ticket the other day to Australia with the outbound being RDU-SFO-MEL and the inbound just MEL to SFO as Qantas wouldn't allow the routing back to RDU, despite there being inventory on AS from SFO to RDU (this was according to the agent I spoke with after I could not book MEL-SFO-RDU together online). Therefore, I had to buy a second ticket from SFO to RDU (though honestly, I was fine with this because I GOT A BUSINESS CLASS REWARD TICKET ON QANTAS!!!!). Both tickets are on AS stock (while the OP's tix were on AS and JL). I was told that my bag will be checked through to MEL on the outbound despite the long layover of 11h25m at SFO, though it would "would be wise to pack essentials in a carry-on," while on the return I would have to ask at check-in if Qantas would tag my bag all the way through to RDU. The agent told me that they *should* do it since the two are partners, despite it being two separate tickets, and because both tickets were on AS stock, but she made it clear that I would be at the whim of Qantas. I have enough time to clear immigration at SFO, get my bag, and re-check it with Alaska (3 hour layover), but I would of course just prefer it be interlined. But, as was clear from my conversation with the agent, if traveling on two tickets with AS and a partner, the interline agreement is perhaps NOT guaranteed, even if both are on AS stock.
ralph4878 is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 9:21 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,552
If it's not allowed, that's fine, but the policy needs to be clear in the website. I would have packed differently had I known.

In my situation, I am not getting a hotel for the overnight It's pointless -- with 3 hr jetlag I would not get any sleep anyway. I just landed in JFK; I'm going to grab a lyft to manhattan and go out all night, and be back at the airport in plenty of time for my 7am flight. Having a bag in tow is not what I'm looking for.
jjmadison and spamman808 like this.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 10:12 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,140
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
If it's not allowed, that's fine, but the policy needs to be clear in the website. I would have packed differently had I known.

In my situation, I am not getting a hotel for the overnight It's pointless -- with 3 hr jetlag I would not get any sleep anyway. I just landed in JFK; I'm going to grab a lyft to manhattan and go out all night, and be back at the airport in plenty of time for my 7am flight. Having a bag in tow is not what I'm looking for.
It is clear. As noted earlier, it say ticket (singular). You had tickets (plural), which is outside the policy being referenced.
fly18725 is offline  
Old May 22, 19, 10:22 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 1,171
They are very wishy washy when it comes to checking bags through on separate tickets. I often book PDX-SEA-XXX on 2 separate reservations. Regardless of the layover time, they won't guarantee that the bags will be checked through and they say that I have to check with the agent at PDX during check-in .
RAD_PDX is online now  
Old May 22, 19, 10:29 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: PSC
Posts: 44
My recent flight PSC-SEA on AS, then SEA-ZAG on Lufthansa, separate tickets, they booked my bag all the way. I was pleasantly surprised, saved me having to get the bag in SEA, wait around a couple hours before checking in.
bizeesheri is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: