Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS refused to check my bags through despite policy on website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS refused to check my bags through despite policy on website

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
As a summary, I'm not trying be all pedantic here. We've got website language for the general public that was reasonably interpreted by the OP, and the airline check-in staff even believe it applied. The OP is more than an occasional flyer (although perhaps not a frequent luggage-checker). He thought he understood the rules. The check-in staff agreed. The computer was programmed to disagree.
jinglish likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Travel that includes multiple flights

If your trip includes more than one flight on Alaska Airlines and/or one of our airline partners, we will check your bags to the final destination on your ticket as long as there are fewer than 12 hours between flights.If you will be in the connecting city for 12 hours or longer, you will need to claim and re-check your baggage. Additional baggage fees may apply.
Ouch. I would send the storage bill to AS Customer Care, with a lovely screenshot of its web page, as there are no restrictions posted, such as sunrise, sunset, eclipse, anything turning into a pumpkin hour, moon hits your eye, and so on.

On second thought, I'd send the bill and complaint to an executive, as you're likely to get a response as meaningful as a canned reply to a PDB issue from Customer Care.
Could "your trip" be interpreted to mean one PNR?
Old May 23, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Often1
A "connection" is definitionally on a single e-ticket. Separate tickets, whether AS-AS or AS-OA are not "connections" (although the term is commonly used).
For the purposes of AS policy it can be. Or at least as used by AS' policy writer.
When making international connections on a separate ticket to other airlines within twelve (12) hours of arriving in the connection city, you may follow the baggage allowance and weight restrictions of the international airline - provided a ticketing and baggage agreement is in place between Alaska Airlines and the other carrier.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I believe you mean (most likely) definitionally on a single PNR. A single PNR can have multiple (up to 4?) e-tickets with a total of 16(?) segments. And you can have multiple ticket issuance within a PNR (i.e., typically it is because of 5+ segments, but it can also be, i.e., segments 1 and 4 on 1 ticket and segments 2 and 3 on another - rare, but possible).
I meant e-ticket and not PNR.

I am well aware that a PNR may have more than one e-ticket in it, but that does not turn the transfer between e-tickets into a "connection."

It may well be that many carriers do protect across tickets in the same PNR, but that does not make the transfer a "connection".
Old May 23, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
In fairness, the agents were REALLY good.

One agent was really friendly and trying to do it but she wasn't quite sure. She called over another agent to help. He seemed a bit more knowledgable and got all 4 segments up on the computer but the computer was flagging the JFK connection as invalid. He went and talked to a supervisor for about 5 min before coming back with the bad news. They were definitely not making excuses -- the computer would not let them do it. No complaints at all about the agents -- they were friendly and really tried to make it work.
Well, it seems that the computer choked on checking your bags for some reason. The agents were trying to make it work, but could not. I would write in to Customer Care with your experience so that they have it on file and can possibly research why. In all honestly, I think the luggage storage places are safer than the luggage sitting around overnight behind the scenes.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Step 1 Get to Manhattan.
Step 2 Find a decent hotel.
Step 3 Go to bellman and hand him your bags and a $20 bill.
Step 4 Receive your claim ticket.
Step 5 Return several hours later with claim ticket.
Step 6 Retrieve bags and return to airport.

Everyone wins.
jjmadison likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by nydave11
Step 1 Get to Manhattan.
Step 2 Find a decent hotel.
Step 3 Go to bellman and hand him your bags and a $20 bill.
Step 4 Receive your claim ticket.
Step 5 Return several hours later with claim ticket.
Step 6 Retrieve bags and return to airport.

Everyone wins.
That is what I do. Some hotels have a policy against taking outside bags; however, I found found that the bellman will be able to direct you to a nearby hotel that will accept your bags. I do this quite frequently in various cities.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:42 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
It was AS -> AS metal; AS -> JL ticket stock.
Was the AS -> JL ticket stock part of an already flown itinerary? I can see where the system might not allow you to use the separate AS ticket as a connection, if you already have a inbound connection (stopover) flown on your JL ticket
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Was the AS -> JL ticket stock part of an already flown itinerary? I can see where the system might not allow you to use the separate AS ticket as a connection, if you already have a inbound connection (stopover) flown on your JL ticket
Ohhhh, that might be it. Yeah, I have nested round trips. SFO-JFK round trip on AS stock, with JFK-SEA-NRT-BKK round trip nested inside.

If I had booked my SFO-JFK round trip as two one-ways, do you think it would have solved the problem? That would be easy to do in the future.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
As a summary, I'm not trying be all pedantic here. ... OP ... thought he understood the rules. The check-in staff agreed. The computer was programmed to disagree.
once again showing that computers will do what we TELL them to, which is not necessarily what we WANT them to
Old May 23, 2019, 12:25 pm

Ohhhh, that might be it. Yeah, I have nested round trips. SFO-JFK round trip on AS stock, with JFK-SEA-NRT-BKK round trip nested inside.

If I had booked my SFO-JFK round trip as two one-ways, do you think it would have solved the problem? That would be easy to do in the future.
So you were flying SFO-JFK-SEA? (or reverse?) That looks to me, and I imagine the computer, as an outbound/return itinerary - not necessarily a connection.
If you want to PM the PNRs, I can have someone look into it, but on the whole, with nested tickets, you're probably better off rethinking your packing strategy
Old May 23, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

But SEA was not a fare break point. It can't be an open jaw or round trip... I can't stop in SEA.

Essentially I repositioned to JFK to take advantage of a good ex-JFK fare, and earn some miles in the process.

In the end, I was able to store the bag in JFK T8 for $10, and pay another $10 to store my backpack -- I'm happy with the outcome (maybe even happier than I would have been happy they checked it through, since I didn't end up lugging my backpack around Manhattan) I'm not trying to recover my $10... it's not enough to care about.

I'm more curious to know what will/won't work for the future, and share that information. It could be an issue with shorter connections -- once I was connecting AY->AY in HEL on separate tickets and they refused to check my bags through (apparently that is their policy). A huge bag check line in HEL (combined with no OW status) almost caused me to miss the bag check deadline.
Old May 23, 2019, 3:55 pm

But SEA was not a fare break point. It can't be an open jaw or round trip... I can't stop in SEA.

Essentially I repositioned to JFK to take advantage of a good ex-JFK fare, and earn some miles in the process.

In the end, I was able to store the bag in JFK T8 for $10, and pay another $10 to store my backpack -- I'm happy with the outcome (maybe even happier than I would have been happy they checked it through, since I didn't end up lugging my backpack around Manhattan) I'm not trying to recover my $10... it's not enough to care about.

I'm more curious to know what will/won't work for the future, and share that information. It could be an issue with shorter connections -- once I was connecting AY->AY in HEL on separate tickets and they refused to check my bags through (apparently that is their policy). A huge bag check line in HEL (combined with no OW status) almost caused me to miss the bag check deadline.
Without access to the PNRs in question, this is just my educated guess, but I believe its less about where the fare breaks, but the back-tracky routing itself and where the in the point of the nested tickets you are.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by aznichiro115
I believe its the overnight part that screws it up.

Flew HKG-LAX-SEA a few months ago, same ticket, the connection was less than 12 hours, but similar in that my connection was the next day. I was in first, they explained that because the connecting flight is the next day, they cannot check it though.
I've done the same route with the same problem. Very inconvenient.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS' systems tend to not like connections in non-standard connection cities. Got a call in ABQ once about picking up my cooler when I was on a connection there... It was tagged thru, but made it to the baggage claim. They were able to redirect it back though TSA and to the aircraft in time thankfully. I don't think many folks connect there. Just like JFK- it's not the most common to fly SFO-JFK-SEA, but does sound like something I would try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.