Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS refused to check my bags through despite policy on website

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS refused to check my bags through despite policy on website

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
AS' systems tend to not like connections in non-standard connection cities. Got a call in ABQ once about picking up my cooler when I was on a connection there... It was tagged thru, but made it to the baggage claim. They were able to redirect it back though TSA and to the aircraft in time thankfully. I don't think many folks connect there. Just like JFK- it's not the most common to fly SFO-JFK-SEA, but does sound like something I would try.
Yes, but in this case, the JFK-SEA-NRT-BKK and return was a different ticket nested inside a SFO-JFK return. Technically not a connection at all. His first ticket segment terminated at JFK where the second ticket originated on the day after his first outbound segment from SFO.

Also, the AS verbage is ambiguous. When it says "international" does that mean from an international point onward or does that mean domestically to an international flight or does it mean either?

James
Old May 24, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wow, this thread made the front page of flyertalk. With a clickbait misrepresentation of the thread title of course.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
FlyerTalk is an advertising funded website. I think I saw this on a ping-back on another site too. *shrugs*

But as missydarlin mentioned, the Sabre system pairs SEA in the same "zone" as SFO, so it confused the system when you tried to check a bag sfo-jfk-sea-nrt... I was kinda curious why you couldn't either when you mentioned it as a problem (my company helps troubleshoot Sabre for another airline (stuff their own help desk or sys admins can't figure out, and no, Alaska isn't a client)

Last edited by UAPremierExec; May 26, 2019 at 12:00 pm
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Just a datapoint... I had a 9 hr overnight connection in JFK on separate tickets. The agents tried to check it through to my final destination, and had all the segments up (4 total) but the JFK connection was showing up as an illegal connection. It was AS -> AS metal; AS -> JL ticket stock. Two agents couldn't make it work, one went to talk to a supervisor and came back saying that the other is that they won't store the bags in JFK overnight.

This is not what the website claims -- just a warning.

Does anyone know if you can rent lockers or something anywhere in JFK? Something big enough to fit a carry-on-sized bag and preferably a backpack as well...
Take a look at the airport information on Alaska's website. If it says that their hours are anything other than 24 hours (I don't know if any are), and your layover includes the hours they are "closed", your bag will not be automatically transferred since during that time it cannot be attended and secured against pilferage. As far as tagging the bag goes, the agent should be able to add three additional flights manually but you would still be required to claim and re drop your bag if the layover includes a portion of time they are "closed". It sounds like this was the agents erring on the side of caution (due to the overnight) and telling you it must be re checked than a systemwide policy against thru checking on separate tickets.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by brettsir

Take a look at the airport information on Alaska's website. If it says that their hours are anything other than 24 hours (I don't know if any are), and your layover includes the hours they are "closed", your bag will not be automatically transferred since during that time it cannot be attended and secured against pilferage. As far as tagging the bag goes, the agent should be able to add three additional flights manually but you would still be required to claim and re drop your bag if the layover includes a portion of time they are "closed". It sounds like this was the agents erring on the side of caution (due to the overnight) and telling you it must be re checked than a systemwide policy against thru checking on separate tickets.
The OP is not complaining about the policy. He is legitimately complaining about his reasonable interpretation of the policy as published on the AS website,. His luggage planning would have been different. It is also not reasonably incumbent on a passenger to peruse various airport operating hours, save for check-in, etc, when investigating baggage policy.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The OP is not complaining about the policy. He is legitimately complaining about his reasonable interpretation of the policy as published on the AS website,. His luggage planning would have been different. It is also not reasonably incumbent on a passenger to peruse various airport operating hours, save for check-in, etc, when investigating baggage policy.
How is it reasonable to interpret that AS can and should check bags through an overnight JFK “connection” on two separate tickets?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725

How is it reasonable to interpret that AS can and should check bags through an overnight JFK “connection” on two separate tickets?
Based upon the website language, reasonable IM(nsh)O.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:51 am

Based upon the website language, reasonable IM(nsh)O.
Good luck making that argument. It doesn’t pass a reasonableness standard.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725
Good luck making that argument. It doesn’t pass a reasonableness standard.
It was "reasonable enough" that the initial airline employees thought it was a permissible transaction.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I think it was reasonable and feasible. Maybe not logical but theoretical.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
It was "reasonable enough" that the initial airline employees thought it was a permissible transaction.
This is always the rub -- even where human agents are willing, can AS's famed IT systems bend to their (or anyone else's) will?

After several recent long-ish Seattle connections, I'm afraid it doesn't matter what the policy is, or how reasonable the agents can be. Alaska's systems are highly resistant to unusual baggage checks.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I had a chance to talk to the baggage agent in JFK about this after one of my flights got cancelled (different thread...)

She basically told me that they have a blanket policy against storing bags overnight at JFK, and that overrides AS' policy.

AS should probably update the language on their website to indicate that some airports may not allow bags to be checked through on overnight connections.

This had nothing to do with separate tickets. AS allows bags to be checked through on separate tickets. The issue was the overnight.

It turned out to be fine; I'm not going to spend a lot of time on a problem that can be solved for $20. This is more of a PSA in case anyone is planning something similar in JFK.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I had a chance to talk to the baggage agent in JFK about this after one of my flights got cancelled (different thread...)

She basically told me that they have a blanket policy against storing bags overnight at JFK, and that overrides AS' policy.

AS should probably update the language on their website to indicate that some airports may not allow bags to be checked through on overnight connections.

This had nothing to do with separate tickets. AS allows bags to be checked through on separate tickets. The issue was the overnight.

It turned out to be fine; I'm not going to spend a lot of time on a problem that can be solved for $20. This is more of a PSA in case anyone is planning something similar in JFK.
Thanks for the update and reaching out to JFK agents.

Agree AS needs to make this more clear online. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.