Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quality of First Class on 737 flights

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
This is brilliant! I will have to give it a try.
FA in F on my inbound flight suggested it. It's really good.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I did have Baileys and Hazelnut Espresso vodka in my coffee so it was all good. The coffee was basically 1/4 booze.
I've gotten that as a PDB on a pmAS flight...
Old May 20, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
I think I understand what @CalanMan and @Eastbay1K are saying. It's true, this is just not what I'm looking for from a flight attendant (or, anyone, really). I'm mostly a private person. I'll make smalltalk with strangers mostly out of social obligation, but I'm generally happy when it's over unless we happen to have something in common that leads to an interesting discussion. Basically I just want to be left alone with my drink and my thoughts in my comfortable seat.
Totally fair. And, to be clear, I think that AS should be able to deliver the basic version of that, and a failure to do so at all is a failure of service. The service the OP got that started this thread is a problem, and wouldn't have made either of us happy.

I know you're currently employing a mixed carrier strategy, and I do hope it's working well for you. Your reports lately on UA have made me want to give them another try. The last one was at least 2 years ago, and it's always good to have options.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalanMan
Totally fair. And, to be clear, I think that AS should be able to deliver the basic version of that, and a failure to do so at all is a failure of service. The service the OP got that started this thread is a problem, and wouldn't have made either of us happy.

I know you're currently employing a mixed carrier strategy, and I do hope it's working well for you. Your reports lately on UA have made me want to give them another try. The last one was at least 2 years ago, and it's always good to have options.
In fairness, my current policy is that I will not pay for F on any recliner (unless someone offers a recliner similar in comfort to what VX had, which is, at this point... let's be kind and call it "unlikely")

I do notice that AS is currently pricing some transcon F lower than other carriers (I saw a lot of $499, even when the lowest lie-flat alternative is well over $1000, so they are not price-matching anyone). Maybe they are trying to position it (and price it) as a kind of middle ground between lie-flat and economy. Given the popularity of premium economy on TATL routes, this might be a good strategy.
CalanMan likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Maybe they are trying to position it (and price it) as a kind of middle ground between lie-flat and economy. Given the popularity of premium economy on TATL routes, this might be a good strategy.
This seems very possible. I think there are a lot of people, such as myself, who pay out of pocket for F because they want more than Comfort+, Economy Plus, or MCE, but find a lie flat and it's high price tag unnecessary and not worth the premium. If United consistently kept 787-10s on these routes with Premium Plus, this strategy may not work.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
AS is the first airline I've ever traveled on where I've run into the same FAs, and they have recognized me and have been so nice in terms of friendly customer service. I mostly travel from PDX to either DFW, DAL, or AUS and back, and there are FAs who like that route (because you can get a full day there and back and it's a great schedule), and while they may not remember my name, they recognize me and ask me how I am doing. I've been blown away with that since I started flying Alaska regularly. And, I'm just an MVPGold (I don't fly that much compared to some of Flyertalk). The pilots at AS are also customer friendly.

I had never flown VX until the merger occurred, and while some VX crews performed their jobs well, I too - as others have noted above - did not get the same friendly skies feeling from VX crew.

I don't like giving my money to companies who provide service with a snarl. It's unfortunate the OP received that awful service from LAX to SEA, and I hope that is not some kinda forshadowing for the future at AS post merger. I used to fly Continental a lot when Gordon Bethune ran it, and the FAs were usually very friendly. After the United takeover, my typical experience from UA FAs is rudeness and officiousness. Thank you very much UA, but I can spend my money elsewhere, Polaris my ....

AS management if you are listening, keep the skies Alaska/PNW friendly.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I definitely had FAs on VX recognize me. But most of my flying was on the same route at the same times, always in F, so it's not surprising that I would run into the same FAs several times (and there were only 8 F seats on every plane)

I was really impressed when one recognized me a couple of years later on an AS flight (unfortunately I did not recognize her)
Old May 20, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
FA in F on my inbound flight suggested it. It's really good.
I also had a FA recommend the Hazelnut Vodka with coffee, which I thought would be odd because Vodka + Coffee??? But it works! Normally I go with whiskey & baileys but I was seated a bit further back and on some flight with a bunch of boozers and they ran out of Baileys so she recommended that.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I think I understand what [MENTION=720550]
...I didn't get my chocolate bar though. I'm unclear about whether I'm supposed to in premium. I did have Baileys and Hazelnut Espresso vodka in my coffee so it was all good. The coffee was basically 1/4 booze.
There has been an old thread on this question:
Chocolate OR drink, not both, for MVPGs on Horizon?

Usually its 50/50 for one or both, I've had pmVX and pmAS crews give/offer me chocolate after i've ordered my drink and received my snack. Essentially the poor (Y) mans dinner in the back.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've only ever gotten the chocolate once, and that was in F. It was slid onto my side of the little table between the seats when I was asleep.

At least I hope it was mine. I ate it and no one said anything
Old May 20, 2019, 7:39 pm

If you don't get a PDB, ring the bell before doors close and during a pause in the boarding, and ask for one!

If the FA's don't come around for a second round of drinks, ring the bell again, and ask for one!

Funny that several people mentioned that the FA's on VX were not the kind you'd want to socialize with, as I had the same reaction on my few times on VX. Odd, but true.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: Global Entry
if you're flying on F (especially for a short-haul domestic like SFO-SEA) for anything other than better seat pitch, width, recline and legroom along with expedited boarding/exit process and reserved overhead space, then you are really setting yourself up for disappointment

if you are after the elite treatment, just fly private lol
Old May 20, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
I fly most weeks midcons round trip. 3.5 - 4 hours. I accept AS FC seat and experience for what it is....

I have a wider more spacious seat and the service to be perfectly honest is secondary. I no longer drink much alcohol on my trips just because it’s “free”. Typically 1 coffee and Baileys going west to east and 1 or two red wines east to west. I’m thankful, for all the regular upgrades and the use of the front lavatory without much of a wait.

I’m also thankful for the very reasonable prices and thus accept the service and the seat pitch. My first two hours are usually taken up by work stuff so the need to fully recline is not useful. After that, it’s basically over and the ability to easily watch a movie is all I really need (even if it’s the same movie for the countless time as background noise). Ability to promptly and efficiently deplane is golden.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by jjmadison

I agree, and I wouldn’t normally think it was aircraft specific, but because I’ve been reading for months on our forum how much better AS crews on 737s are than airbus crews, I was expecting better.

It really struck how bad it has gotten, watching elderly paid F elites loudly complain on the flight. They said they had been flying AS for decades and were fed up. Made me realize people like me (who have been flying AS for much less time) are not the outlier.
Airbus/Boeing crews have been mixed since the beginning of the year. L-AS crews work Airbus aircraft and L-VX crews work Boeing aircraft - regularly. If you're flying SFO-SEA it's 50/50 whether you're getting L-AS or L-VX or a mix of both even. All this to say, it doesn't matter that you're on a Boeing airplane, it could well have been a SFO or LAX based crew (which means likely L-VX) and it could just as easily have been a SEA/SAN/PDX/LAX/ANC crew that could have been L-AS.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
AS is the first airline I've ever traveled on where I've run into the same FAs, and they have recognized me and have been so nice in terms of friendly customer service. I mostly travel from PDX to either DFW, DAL, or AUS and back, and there are FAs who like that route (because you can get a full day there and back and it's a great schedule), and while they may not remember my name, they recognize me and ask me how I am doing. I've been blown away with that since I started flying Alaska regularly. And, I'm just an MVPGold (I don't fly that much compared to some of Flyertalk). The pilots at AS are also customer friendly.

I had never flown VX until the merger occurred, and while some VX crews performed their jobs well, I too - as others have noted above - did not get the same friendly skies feeling from VX crew.

I don't like giving my money to companies who provide service with a snarl. It's unfortunate the OP received that awful service from LAX to SEA, and I hope that is not some kinda forshadowing for the future at AS post merger. I used to fly Continental a lot when Gordon Bethune ran it, and the FAs were usually very friendly. After the United takeover, my typical experience from UA FAs is rudeness and officiousness. Thank you very much UA, but I can spend my money elsewhere, Polaris my ....

AS management if you are listening, keep the skies Alaska/PNW friendly.
I’ve experienced the same where I run into the same fligtt HT attendants and they recognize me. It’s a nice touch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.