Wiki Posts
Search

SDC-PAE vs. SEA

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 75K
SDC-PAE vs. SEA

I'm booked PAE to SFO this Sunday 5/19. I'd love to SDC and take a later flight, but there aren't any later flights from PAE. What are the odds that they'll let me change to a later flight from SEA? I'm assuming that's against the rules, but is it worth calling in and asking as a Gold?
Old May 15, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
literal answer: 50-50
pragmatic answer: the flight is midafternoon ... imo, if you call ~noon and say you won't be able to make it to PAE in time, your chances are far better that they will offer you a reasonable option -- one of the five evening flights from SEA, or an early evening connection out of PAE (~530 over LAS, ~600 over PDX) -- than if you call at T-24 hours
Old May 15, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
I tried to SDC at the gate from PHX-SEA to PHX-PAE on the inaugural day. They typed for while on their computer and tried a few things but it didn't work. I ended up buying a cash walk-up fare which ended up being cheaper than my original flight anyway.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
The rule says you can’t. You have to fly the same route without changing origin/destination/connection cities.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
The rule says you can’t. You have to fly the same route without changing origin/destination/connection cities.

I don’t know about your comment above regarding connections, I do this almost weekly, book a connection (usually through SFO or SEA) for a much cheaper price than a nonstop and change to a nonstop T-24, in fact I did it this week. Even for a non elite it often makes sense with a $50 fee, I saved over $550 recently on an east coast one way flight
Old May 15, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, UA PM, Hyatt Globalist
When I called to request a SDC from SEA-OAK to SEA-SFO two weeks ago, I asked about the possibility of doing a SDC between SEA/PAE. I was told it was not currently possible, but that Alaska was considering adding the two airports to the co-terminal exception list.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by Waitlisted

I don’t know about your comment above regarding connections, I do this almost weekly, book a connection (usually through SFO or SEA) for a much cheaper price than a nonstop and change to a nonstop T-24, in fact I did it this week. Even for a non elite it often makes sense with a $50 fee, I saved over $550 recently on an east coast one way flight
I had a chat with a couple CSR's about this. The rules on the web still say its not allowed, but CSR's are saying they can do it. Its a little bit of a odd situation.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by williwaw
I had a chat with a couple CSR's about this. The rules on the web still say its not allowed, but CSR's are saying they can do it. Its a little bit of a odd situation.
If you look at the fare rules when your buy your ticket, under Same Day Confirmed Flight Change Conditions, it specifically calls out SFO/OAK/SJC and LAX/SNA/BUR/ONT as exceptions. In general, co-terminal changes via SDC are not allowed, but CSR's allowing them in the examples above are not them bending the rules, just them knowing these California exceptions.
D. SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE AVAILABLE ONLY FOR IDENTICAL ROUTINGS-SAME ORIGIN / DESTINATION / CONNECTION / THRU CITY IF APPLICABLE. CHANGES BETWEEN CO-TERMINALS ARE ALLOWED FOR SFO/OAK/SJC AND LAX/SNA/BUR/ONT.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold 75K
Thanks all. The specific language regarding SFO/OAK is especially helpful. I've been nervous about the possibility of SDC between OAK and SEA because there are so few flights. Knowing that SFO/OAK is specifically identified as allowable under the rules is great.
ucdtim17 likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by sjbsf
Thanks all. The specific language regarding SFO/OAK is especially helpful. I've been nervous about the possibility of SDC between OAK and SEA because there are so few flights. Knowing that SFO/OAK is specifically identified as allowable under the rules is great.
I wish I had known this in the past. I've only asked for co-terminal changes when SFO flights get re-routed to SJC.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a couple of places where the fare rules don't match the website. No-show policy for fully refundable tickets is another (though in that case the fare rules are more restrictive than the web page)

It's good to keep track of these differences -- maybe in a wiki?
Old May 16, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I doubt that AS will actually make PAE and SEA co-terminals. I'm guessing that eventually -- when PAE catches on -- PAE tickets will be priced at a slight premium to SEA (since flights are very limited at PAE). So, there's no real incentive for AS to want SEA and PAE to be officially co-terminals. If, in the future, PAE is opened up to, say, 4 or 5X as many flights and a lot of competition, then all bets are off.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by formeraa
I doubt that AS will actually make PAE and SEA co-terminals. I'm guessing that eventually -- when PAE catches on -- PAE tickets will be priced at a slight premium to SEA (since flights are very limited at PAE). So, there's no real incentive for AS to want SEA and PAE to be officially co-terminals. If, in the future, PAE is opened up to, say, 4 or 5X as many flights and a lot of competition, then all bets are off.
funny thing about that ... for a couple of my upcoming trips, PAE-LAX in F is pricing about $50 under SEA-LAX
Old May 16, 2019, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jrl767

funny thing about that ... for a couple of my upcoming trips, PAE-LAX in F is pricing about $50 under SEA-LAX
Which is to be expected right now. It's a new/developing market. As it matures, the question is whether it will be comparable to SEA, command a premium, or take a hit.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Last month I had a PDX SEA flight that was delayed 1.5hrs due to ATC at SEA, after a while they started asking anyone in the gate area that was on one of the three delayed flights to SEA if they wanted to go to PAE on a flight that would leave in 20 mins. They even got those with checked bags moved over. he GA said it was a co-terminal and that is why they could offer the chance to change our flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.