Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS 75k status or MVPG + AA ExPlat?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you have cash flow problems, you are right. But of we assume that cash flow is not a problem, then your can buy all the tickets you want, so the only question is about value.

The implicit assumption is that if you did not have the RDM you would eventually spend money to aquire them. That's where the cost savings comes from. If you get free toothpaste for a year you are saving money -- not because you plan to sell the toothpaste, but because you don't have to buy it. The end result is the same. If you get extra RDM it means that you don't need to spend money to aquire more, and that's a cost savings.
You still don't get it! You are a master of skirting around the facts so as to not acquiesce, or you simply fail/are not able to see the point! Cash flow has nothing to do with it. There are no caveats! No assumptions will justify it. I agree that the additional RDM has value, just no value towards EQM for attaining/retaining status. Stating otherwise is simply incorrect. Period!

You stated you may not fly a paid international itinerary next year. If instead, you are using the value of all the extra RDM on the coast2coast and JL SEA-NRT promotions you will accumulate for international awards, do you plan to let your MVPG status lapse next year? If not, you still have to pay out of pocket and fly for status. With your preference for UA to Hawaii and your overall dislike of AS F domestically, how will you achieve that?

If I get RDM Branded Toothpaste free for a year, it isn't a cost savings towards status. I still need to buy EQM Branded toothpaste for status and the accompanying benefits. Sure, the RDM Branded toothpaste has value and a double miles promotion gives you extra value in more RDM toothpaste, it just doesn't reduce the yearly cost out of pocket towards status. I have never said otherwise.

You could attain MVPG in 2019 good through the end of 2020 with 16 2500 miles transcon segments. Whether that produces 50K, 90K RDM (minimum for non-status achieving MVPG without/with the bonus) or 2M RDM doesn't change the fact that if you want to retain MVPG in 2020 through the end of 2021 you still need to spent out of pocket in 2020. The value of the RDM earned is irrelevant. You continually try to say that the value of the extra RDM will lower my out of pocket for Status. Not true!

James.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
out of pocket cost is really nothing. we spent 35k in 2 days to buy tickets when there was a deal. i dont understand why keep on arguing about cash spending.

cost of EQM = cash - value of RDM. you seem to have problem with this simple equation.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbd456
cost of EQM = cash - value of RDM.
Yes, exactly, this.

If we ignore the value of actually getting to travel somewhere, when you fly you get two things: EQM and RDM. There is one price tag on the ticket, and you get both of those things for that price. In order to assign a price tag to one or the other, you need to split the cost of the ticket between those two things.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
out of pocket cost is really nothing. we spent 35k in 2 days to buy tickets when there was a deal. i dont understand why keep on arguing about cash spending.

cost of EQM = cash - value of RDM. you seem to have problem with this simple equation.
Cost of EQM = cash! Correct! The RDM rebate does not lower your cost of EQM = cash for requalification of Status. RDM is irrelevant in attaining/retaining status. You and @VegasGambler seem to have a problem with that simple concept!

We will have to agree to disagree.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:36 pm

Yes, exactly, this.

If we ignore the value of actually getting to travel somewhere, when you fly you get two things: EQM and RDM. There is one price tag on the ticket, and you get both of those things for that price. In order to assign a price tag to one or the other, you need to split the cost of the ticket between those two things.
You still don't get it!

James
Old May 16, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Cost of EQM = cash! Correct! The RDM rebate does not lower your cost of EQM = cash for requalification of Status. RDM is irrelevant in attaining/retaining status. You and @VegasGambler seem to have a problem with that simple concept!

We will have to agree to disagree.
if someone offer you to pay 10k for 2M AS miles + mvp 75k status, so you would turn it down because you wont pay 10k for status?
jinglish likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I was an EXP and a MVP Gold for 10 years. However, those were the days when you could credit AS flights to your AA account and life was easier (more SWU, easier to sit up front, and not revenue based). It was not a bad run. The ability to cancel awards and redeposit without penalty is a plus in both of these programs. The EXP desk used to be great at recognizing issues proactively and rebooking EXPs. Not sure how good AS is with Golds, but they are great with 75Ks.

The SWUs are great if you can find any space.

I suppose the flagship dining is a big plus for AA, unless you fly domestically. I still get Flagship lounge access as a LT plat, which is nice.

It also really depends where you live - when I started flying AA (was a TWA flyer), there was a club here, there were more flights from SEA and less competition for upgrades. These days, not so much. I fly them usually from a international departure point (ORD, PHL, RDU, JFK) to my European destination. I usually take AS to that destination.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I had to make this call last year and picked 75K. What it really came down to is who do I WANT to fly with next year the most? That's where I want the best status. AA stinks operationally and mileage earning so they lose. I am happy to still be with Alaska even though I have fewer flight options. Sometimes I have to fly AA and I have last years Plat status still to get me into MCE. I even didn't do one round trip needed to get PlatPro last year as I needed all the flights I could get on AS (plus a SEA-BOS-SEA MR) to get to 75K.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I had to make this call last year and picked 75K. What it really came down to is who do I WANT to fly with next year the most? That's where I want the best status. AA stinks operationally and mileage earning so they lose. I am happy to still be with Alaska even though I have fewer flight options. Sometimes I have to fly AA and I have last years Plat status still to get me into MCE. I even didn't do one round trip needed to get PlatPro last year as I needed all the flights I could get on AS (plus a SEA-BOS-SEA MR) to get to 75K.
you pick an airline based on something as trivial
as where you need to fly? How sensible of you.

Old May 25, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lalala
you pick an airline based on something as trivial
as where you need to fly? How sensible of you.

Heh... yeah my route is SEA-DFW/DAL so I have a choice between AS and AA. If you are frequently flying to one destination your choices are limited. Soon my pattern will switch to MSP (DL or AS) or Houston (stuck with UA. AS times/freq arent good for me )
Old May 25, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'd like to point out that I was not actually considering flying AA; just taking advantage of the OWE status for international flights on OW carriers, and free changes / redeposits on OW carrier award flights booked with AA miles.

Eg, I just flew NRT-BKK in J (no F on that flight).

With OWE I could have used the F lounge in NRT (which I've never actually been to because even though I've flown JL F twice, it was always a circle trip and I always flew F to Tokyo, not from -- I always continued on to somewhere else in Asia, with no F cabin available)..
Old May 26, 2019, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'd like to point out that I was not actually considering flying AA; just taking advantage of the OWE status for international flights on OW carriers, and free changes / redeposits on OW carrier award flights booked with AA miles.

Eg, I just flew NRT-BKK in J (no F on that flight).

With OWE I could have used the F lounge in NRT (which I've never actually been to because even though I've flown JL F twice, it was always a circle trip and I always flew F to Tokyo, not from -- I always continued on to somewhere else in Asia, with no F cabin available)..
Check out the OW F lounge rules... if flying F to Tokyo and connecting same day (even in J) one can still use the F lounge at departure.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Check out the OW F lounge rules... if flying F to Tokyo and connecting same day (even in J) one can still use the F lounge at departure.
Good to know but I always had stopovers... that's the whole point of AS miles isn't it? This trip I didn't but it was paid so all business class.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:39 pm

check the math yourself. (i only credit non AS partner to AS last two years).

Assumption AA miles 1.4cpm AS miles 1.9 cpm.

you need 5K EQD and 35k EQM. Assuming you are in a class than earns 25% EQD, you would need to credit 20k BIS miles to AA for the match.

Here is my calcuation as I am both 75k and exec plat.

if i credit to AS, i earn 350% (1 +0.25 (COS) + 1.25 (75k) +1 (premium bonus)
if I credit to AA, I earn 245% (1+0,25 +1.2)

The value I earn for credit to AS is 20000*3.5*1.9 = 1330
The value I earn for credit to AA is 20000*2.45*1.4 = 686,

if it involves BA, you lose more value because BA has a higher earn rate on AS. you have to adjust the calculation.

The value I lose from crediting to AA is 650 USD. which you can use to determine whether it is worth to credit to AA.

now that I have done the math again, maybe i should try to keep AA exec plat...
i have around 9k booked for EQD and i can credit some of my other airline to AA instead of AS...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.