AS 75k status or MVPG + AA ExPlat?

Old May 15, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium
Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
Especially disappointing has been the CX HKG FC lounges as the food has slipped to where I almost prefer the Bridge or Noodle Bars anyway. The LAX QF FC is still good for those early morning AA LAX-HKG flights. But, AA did improve the FL food offering just enough to make it work.
+1 on all BOLDED!
Sad surprise is poor the food quality & service had slipped at CX HKG Wing F & Pier F. Agree that I find Bridge (Business class lounge) to be better. That said, when I needed a cabana (quiet place to rest), I still headed to Wing F or Pier F.
I love QF LAX F lounge!
Old May 15, 19, 6:12 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
with double RDM transcon on AS. renewing for AS 75k is trivial in term of cost.
Old May 15, 19, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by channa View Post
The RDMs have tangible value (and calculate the better redemption rates on AS, plus stopover value if you can use it).

The lounges and such have more intrinsic value. Are you seriously going to scoff at a business lounge and say no, I'd rather pay a few hundred bucks for a nice lunch at some restaurant in the airport because this business lounge is inadequate? No. Yes, the F lounges are nicer, but for an hour between flights?

The real value form EXP is in the SWUs. If you can buy some cheap Y's and upgrade them to J (vs buying J outright), that's tangible savings. You can weigh your chance of finding usable upgrade space, on route(s) AA flies that you want to use, and your likelihood of doing that (which sounds low based on your redemption targets) and the value of the AA miles earned vs. the AS miles earned against the savings on doing that.

it is so hard to use the SWU and I am giving up on them for Y to J upgrade. I dont really want to do lottery. BTW, the upgrade list is sorted by EQD. so getting the match and only 5k EQD will make sure you are at the bottom of the list -- since everyone gets 12k to keep it.
channa and VegasGambler like this.
Old May 15, 19, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
with double RDM transcon on AS. renewing for AS 75k is trivial in term of cost.
Can you please explain? Thanks,

James
Old May 15, 19, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post

James
https://www.travelcodex.com/double-a...r-all-of-2019/
Old May 15, 19, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
James
I think they mean the extra RDMs from the promo make the cost "less" if you factor in the double RDMs, not that they help you achieve status any faster - if that's where the confusion is.
Old May 15, 19, 11:58 pm

the reality is that the cost is so little to pick up extra status miles on AS. if you want to do it, go ahead, it is really just a pocket change in term of money
Old May 16, 19, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post

I think they mean the extra RDMs from the promo make the cost "less" if you factor in the double RDMs, not that they help you achieve status any faster - if that's where the confusion is.
Oh, there is no confusion on my part. I've had this discussion before but after three attempts to illustrate that a double mile promotion does not lower the cost to attain/retain status I just let it go.

The double mile promotion with the extra RDM for redemptions may make the pursuit of Status more attractive and could be the motivator to do so, but it in no way reduces your costs to achieve status.

"with double RDM transcon on AS" as a qualifier to "renewing for AS 75K is trivial in term of cost," implies the latter is a result of the former. That is simply not true! The latter statement is accurate as per the poster's valuation, on it's own. The former statement invalidates the latter!

James
DeltaFlyingProf likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Oh, there is no confusion on my part. I've had this discussion before but after three attempts to illustrate that a double mile promotion does not lower the cost to attain/retain status I just let it go.

The double mile promotion with the extra RDM for redemptions may make the pursuit of Status more attractive and could be the motivator to do so, but it in no way reduces your costs to achieve status.

"with double RDM transcon on AS" as a qualifier to "renewing for AS 75K is trivial in term of cost," implies the latter is a result of the former. That is simply not true! The latter statement is accurate as per the poster's valuation, on it's own. The former statement invalidates the latter!

James
If I give you $1000 cash in exchange for taking a flight, does that lower your cost?
If I give you something that you can sell for $1000, in exchange for taking a flight, does that lower your cost?
If I give you something that you cannot sell, but value at $1000, does that lower your cost?

Value is essentially fungible; these are all the same. Most people put monetary value on miles (and many people even buy them) so getting miles is just as valuable as a cash rebate.
jinglish likes this.
Old May 16, 19, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
If I give you $1000 cash in exchange for taking a flight, does that lower your cost?
If I give you something that you can sell for $1000, in exchange for taking a flight, does that lower your cost?
If I give you something that you cannot sell, but value at $1000, does that lower your cost?

Value is essentially fungible; these are all the same. Most people put monetary value on miles (and many people even buy them) so getting miles is just as valuable as a cash rebate.
You are still missing the point! Don't continue to confuse the Cost of EQM with the Cost of RDM. Double miles reduces your RDM cost, not the cost out of pocket for EQM required for Status. That is a fact! Sorry if you can't comprehend that.

James
Old May 16, 19, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post

Actually, they are not the same. The first two examples would lower my cost because I could purchase another ticket generating more EQM towards Status. The third example does not afford the same benefit.

James
Old May 16, 19, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You are still missing the point! Don't continue to confuse the Cost of EQM with the Cost of RDM. Double miles reduces your RDM cost, not the cost out of pocket for EQM required for Status. That is a fact! Sorry if you can't comprehend that.

James
You're technically right, but unless you're strapped for cash, most people buy based on value, not cost, so that level of precision adds little value to the topic.
Old May 16, 19, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by channa View Post
You're technically right, but unless you're strapped for cash, most people buy based on value, not cost, so that level of precision adds little value to the topic.
I think the people here who are flying in business or first are not strapped for cash, and $1k isn't a dealbreaker
In the same vein, who said the the poor have to buy insurance, the rich get to sell it?
Old May 16, 19, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Actually, they are not the same. The first two examples would lower my cost because I could purchase another ticket generating more EQM towards Status. The third example does not afford the same benefit.

James
If you have cash flow problems, you are right. But of we assume that cash flow is not a problem, then your can buy all the tickets you want, so the only question is about value.

The implicit assumption is that if you did not have the RDM you would eventually spend money to aquire them. That's where the cost savings comes from. If you get free toothpaste for a year you are saving money -- not because you plan to sell the toothpaste, but because you don't have to buy it. The end result is the same. If you get extra RDM it means that you don't need to spend money to aquire more, and that's a cost savings.
Old May 16, 19, 10:37 am

I have been both 75k and exec plat for last few years. I don't think I will qualify for exec plat this year because one of the deal didn't work out (I filed a DoT complaint about it) that deal was expected yo net me extra 8k eqd. While I can still make plat pro on other tickets booked and can choose to krrp exec plat if I credit more ticket to AA (likr cx F ex Vietnam fare) (I exceed 75k easily as I had over 130k eqm last year on Alaska).

Having been to exec plat for many years and it is not worth personally to spend more value to keep it due to 12k to 15k in eqd. I will definitely miss F lounge when I travel alone (my mom and dad are oneworld emerald and I can piggy back when I travel with them). I have access to AA flagship lounge anyways due to oneworld sapphire in non AA program.

AA swu loses a lot of value due to hard to confirm while I still battle 100% upgrade. I was the last to get upgrade from pe to j in Dec last year. (They moved me from y to pe first and gave me j seat after boarding, and didn't deduct a swu on my acct). Because last miniute nature, I couldn't credit that flight to Alaska (v class and low cost)

I don't fly domestic so domestic upgrade has little value to me. I still have 4 swu in my acct and I plan to do j to f upgrade for my parents (a earns 210/240 vs 160/140) tier point on ba and should net them over 2500 ba tier point easier for gold upgrade for 2 voucher on ba, which they can book t fare and upgrade to I class for me to credit to Alaska.

It is just far easier for me to book paid J than to hope upgrade clearing. The main thing I miss is award redeposit which I use from time to time, I will just have to book award more carefully as I still have over 1M AA miles.

Maybe I can still keep AA exec plat it DoT can give enough pressure on my case. I lost over 40k flown miles in paid J and it is hurting badly for this year.

Search this Thread