Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

U seats never available for long haul flights for MVP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U seats never available for long haul flights for MVP

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw
I should amend a little - for MVP the Y and S that are instant upgradeable and have 50% class of service bonus. For MVPG its M and B that are also upgradeable with a 25% class of service bonus. Its a detail, but one that can sway things if all the I and P fares are gone. I've had one work trip to Hawaii where only F was left and I had to jump on a last minute S fare. It upgraded a few days out, and I got some bonus. But not the full deal. (And wasn't my money....)
MVPG75K can also instant upgrade on an H fare. No COS bonus for an H fare though. U still needs to be available for the instant upgrade.

Remember, if you are MVP or MVPG and purchase an eligible fare without U for the instant upgrade and U doesn't open beore the MVPG75K window at T-120 hours, all 75Ks will be upgraded before you whether the purchased fares are eligible or not.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
...long haul flight...
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
...SEA to IAH...
Lolz
Old May 14, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Funny thing is SEA-IAH was a super easy upgrade a few years ago. I managed to grab three U seats on a flight about two years ago.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by williwaw
If the intent is to seek out U space for MVP instant upgrade, I worry you’ll pay more or close to I or P fares which then come with class of service bonus. When I was MVP instant upgrade was really not worth it unless work told me to buy an expensive Y fare.
The advantage of Y is that it's refundable, while P and I fares are usually not.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I’m conflicted: Fri 6/7, company bought me a coach ticket on IAD-SEA; upgraded for ~$250 ... there’s a U seat showing on DCA-PDX-SEA (another $50), but it’s only $50 over that to book into P
Old May 21, 2019, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
I’m conflicted: Fri 6/7, company bought me a coach ticket on IAD-SEA; upgraded for ~$250 ... there’s a U seat showing on DCA-PDX-SEA (another $50), but it’s only $50 over that to book into P
Do you need the EQMs you'd get from the P fare?
Old May 21, 2019, 8:22 am

The extra $50 is worth the 1,800 EQM miles you will get, plus you will get Lounge access in PDX and SEA.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
well, I got the numbers wrong; it's an extra $115 to switch to the GGU-eligible fare over PDX, and $50 on top of that to book into P ... that makes over $400 total

I sort of subscribe to the $1/minute metric that a number of DL regulars use, so $300 for a westbound TCON with a ~6-hour block time is about as much as I'll pay

I'm neutral about lounge access in Portland, and since I'm returning home I'm not going to stop in a Seattle lounge ...1800 additional EQM could be significant by the end of the year, though ... as I said, I'm conflicted ...
Old May 21, 2019, 10:31 am

well, I got the numbers wrong; it's an extra $115 to switch to the GGU-eligible fare over PDX, and $50 on top of that to book into P ... that makes over $400 total

I sort of subscribe to the $1/minute metric that a number of DL regulars use, so $300 for a westbound TCON with a ~6-hour block time is about as much as I'll pay

I'm neutral about lounge access in Portland, and since I'm returning home I'm not going to stop in a Seattle lounge ...1800 additional EQM could be significant by the end of the year, though ... as I said, I'm conflicted ...
In that case I probably would not. For the $400 you can get way over 1,800 eqm by doing another long round trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.