Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I have 90,000 miles on Alaska. Can I get from EZE to LAX?

I have 90,000 miles on Alaska. Can I get from EZE to LAX?

Reply

Old May 10, 19, 9:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Posts: 1,055
I have 90,000 miles on Alaska. Can I get from EZE to LAX?

Unsure of any partners or code shares.

I'd love to go in Business class.

Is this possible w Alaska miles?
caseminole is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 19, 9:21 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 13,568
Originally Posted by caseminole View Post
Unsure of any partners or code shares.
I'd love to go in Business class.
Is this possible with Alaska miles?
Awards are normally native flights of the partner airlines. With awards codeshare are very very rare. A few in the SW Pacific on with AA ff miles & TN/NZ

AS Award chart-->https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts
EZE LAX is South America to USA so AA or LA. Both fly from EZE.
May need to go via a transit airport. Only AA have EZE LAX non stop.
A business class award may be hard to get

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minist...tional_Airport
Mwenenzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 19, 9:22 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Posts: 2,267
Originally Posted by caseminole View Post
Unsure of any partners or code shares.

I'd love to go in Business class.

Is this possible w Alaska miles?
You can fly the route with AS Partners AA or LATAM. Finding availability for J will be the challenge.

James in Dallas
Flying for Fun is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 19, 10:18 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,254
LA is 45k miles each way. EZE/SCL/LAX or EZE/LIM/LAX are the routing options. SCL is a much better connection.
jinglish likes this.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 19, 11:56 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 1,986
Deep South America awards can be tough to find, but not impossible; I scored SEA-ORD-MIA-SCL in AA J last year. LA is an option as well, but their availability doesn't show on the AS site, so you'd have to use BA or QF to find their award space and all AS to book.

And if you can't find anything from EZE, try to find something bookable from SCL and grab a paid ticket on the KLM tag flight. I flew the opposite direction for something like $150 in Y, which was a lot less than what AR wanted.
jinglish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 12:07 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVPG, DL silver, Marriott silver
Posts: 884
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
LA is 45k miles each way. EZE/SCL/LAX or EZE/LIM/LAX are the routing options. SCL is a much better connection.
If you're flying LATAM, SCL-LAX will often times stop in Lima anyway.
Flying for Fun likes this.
WestSideBilly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 10:36 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Seattle, WA USA/Punta del Este, UY
Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Posts: 827
Using LATAM

if you have a AmEx card which allows you to transfer miles to LATAM Id suggest doing this. Quite easy to use LATAM miles for a ticket. Using Alaska miles is next to impossible.
bkkth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 19, 11:47 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SFO/EWR/DEL
Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,439
Originally Posted by bkkth View Post
if you have a AmEx card which allows you to transfer miles to LATAM Id suggest doing this. Quite easy to use LATAM miles for a ticket. Using Alaska miles is next to impossible.
Is it that LATAM partner award availability is bad or that AS just can't book it?
abcx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 1:05 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Posts: 2,267
Originally Posted by abcx View Post
Is it that LATAM partner award availability is bad or that AS just can't book it?
AS can book it if there is availability. It can't, however, be booked online. You need to call AS. QF is a good place to look for availability. If you find anything there, AS should be able to book it for you.

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 1:30 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,169
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
You can fly the route with AS Partners AA or LATAM. Finding availability for J will be the challenge.

James in Dallas
It may even be harder than it should be.

There is AA U (saver business) space, for example, June 25 EZE-DFW-ONT. AA's website shows this, and EF shows U3 on that date. But AS only offers it with the EZE-DFW leg in coach.
Similar with July 9, EZE-DFW-LAX/ONT

The space is there; not sure why AS does not show it.
VegasGambler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 2:13 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Posts: 2,267
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
It may even be harder than it should be.

There is AA U (saver business) space, for example, June 25 EZE-DFW-ONT. AA's website shows this, and EF shows U3 on that date. But AS only offers it with the EZE-DFW leg in coach.
Similar with July 9, EZE-DFW-LAX/ONT

The space is there; not sure why AS does not show it.
Does it show on QF? Phantom Space? Can you actually book it on AA? Since you can hold AA for 5 days, it is easy to see if the reservation will complete prior to payment. EF isn't without errors. I have had an EF alert tell me there was AS U space available about an hour after I already located and secured the space myself.

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 9:42 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Posts: 1,333
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Does it show on QF? Phantom Space? Can you actually book it on AA? Since you can hold AA for 5 days, it is easy to see if the reservation will complete prior to payment. EF isn't without errors. I have had an EF alert tell me there was AS U space available about an hour after I already located and secured the space myself.

James
Although that isn't an error on EF's part, but a clear example of why their alerts can be useless in many cases. With hours between their availability sweeps, it's common for you (or another pax) to locate the inventory long before EF does.
NoLaGent is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 11:30 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,169
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Does it show on QF? Phantom Space? Can you actually book it on AA? Since you can hold AA for 5 days, it is easy to see if the reservation will complete prior to payment. EF isn't without errors. I have had an EF alert tell me there was AS U space available about an hour after I already located and secured the space myself.

James
You can try to book it. I don't like to hold flights I have no intention of flying. Does AA show phantom space on their own website for their own flights?
VegasGambler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 11:37 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Posts: 2,267
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
Although that isn't an error on EF's part, but a clear example of why their alerts can be useless in many cases. With hours between their availability sweeps, it's common for you (or another pax) to locate the inventory long before EF does.
I don't disagree with you here. Should myself or someone else locate inventory and secure that inventory between sweeps, no EF Alert should be triggered. However, in my case, the EF Alert triggered and advised me of available inventory that was non-existent. The delay appears to be between finding inventory during a sweep and actually sending out the Alert. I use EF Alerts as an additional tool in my toolbox but don't rely on it solely as an accurate real-time depiction of inventory.

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 19, 4:08 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Seattle, WA USA/Punta del Este, UY
Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Posts: 827
Transfer your AmEx miles to a LATAM account and book an award. Easy and simple
bkkth is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread