Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Expensive Routings - Save $1,090! LAX-SFO, Choose Wisely!

Old May 10, 19, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

I do enjoy looking at some of the fare options available at www.alaskaair.com. Example - SFO - LAX on 7/31. Options include:

- 11:00 am non-stop for $59 (travel time 1 hr 40 minutes) , or
- 11:10 am one-stop (through San Diego) for $1,149 (travel time 4 hrs 40 minutes) - Alaska/American

Perhaps even more bizarre is the posted one-stop (also through San Diego) leaving at 8:35 am. That one is "only" $1,139. I guess it's not as popular at the 11:10 am option

What is the craziest fare you've seen offered?
Old May 10, 19, 5:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I have noticed at times... not sure if its enough to call it a trend... but it seems like any flight that AS can get you there on their metal alone, either direct or with AS connections... if there's any options with an AA codeshare are stupid expensive and often over a grand like your example.
Old May 10, 19, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP
We are enjoying AS and their current Fare's Experiment. Can't wait to see how "far out" they will try to take it.
Old May 10, 19, 5:35 pm

I don't think this is new. I've often seen AS+AA combined itineraries for over $1000 when the non-stop AS flight is under $250.
Old May 10, 19, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, NEXUS, Mooney driver
Last year tried to book a LAX-PHX on an AS codeshare. It was >$2000 in Y. AA was $59 directly.
My client didn't like the idea of the $2000 option
SFO777 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old May 10, 19, 8:31 pm

For some reason the AA flights are often (though not only) available as full Y, even though lower fare classes are available.
Old May 11, 19, 2:43 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
While not an AA/AS mixed itinerary, I did see OGG-ANC-PDX once. I opted against that particular itinerary.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by sturges View Post
Last year tried to book a LAX-PHX on an AS codeshare. It was >$2000 in Y. AA was $59 directly.
SNA-PHX is usually available for a much more reasonable price as an AA codeshare.
Old May 11, 19, 4:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
While not an AA/AS mixed itinerary, I did see OGG-ANC-PDX once. I opted against that particular itinerary.

SNA-PHX is usually available for a much more reasonable price as an AA codeshare.
As is PHX-SJC. The AS codeshare was slightly more than the fare AA was charging. As an AS Elite I was able to choose an MCE seat at no additional charge too.

​​​​​​​James in Dallas
Old May 11, 19, 8:21 am

December 8th, 2018 to be exact. When you say, "last few AA flights I've booked," do you mean AS marketed Codeshare Flights operated by AA?

James on AS723

Last edited by dayone; May 11, 19 at 11:23 am Reason: Redacted quote of delted post.
Old May 11, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: AS 75K and Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
As an AS Elite I was able to choose an MCE seat at no additional charge too.

James in Dallas
I think you got lucky. As a G75, I haven’t had any option to choose MCE without charge or elite seats on AA and have ended up in a middle seat in the back of the plane, even on a “purchased as AS...” itinerary
thegingninj likes this.
Old May 11, 19, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
​​​​​

Wow. How was the price compared to the other options though!
Old May 11, 19, 10:03 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
The fare rules for AS LAX-SFO fares specifically exclude AA codeshare flights and do not permit AA flights (see the flight application section) --

THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
AS FLIGHTS 4000 THROUGH 8999.

This means the only way to combine the flights on a single ticket are with a broken fare (an AS fare on SAN-SFO and an AA fare on the LAX-SAN segment). However, AA fare combination rules only allow the fares to be combined if you have a full Y fare (YA2AA). It's that full Y AA fare that is what is blowing the price out of the water. The combination rules on the AS fares are not as restrictive and the AS fare on the SAN-SFO segment is far more reasonable. Yes, it's pretty silly to present such options, but now you know why it is pricing out the way it is.

Last edited by LBJ; May 11, 19 at 10:12 am
Old May 11, 19, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVP 75k, *G LT, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Explorist
What is the craziest fare you've seen offered?
A direct fare from IAH to SFO that was more expensive than the open jaw connection through LHR. That was not on AS obviously but one of the reasons why I left that airline behind and why I ended up on AS.
Old May 11, 19, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by osubeavers01 View Post

I think you got lucky. As a G75, I haven’t had any option to choose MCE without charge or elite seats on AA and have ended up in a middle seat in the back of the plane, even on a “purchased as AS...” itinerary
Hint: Wait 24 hours, select your seat.

James in Seattle
Old May 11, 19, 2:08 pm

thumbs up^, thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: