Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

El Al (LY) Announced as AS Partner (5/13/2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

El Al (LY) Announced as AS Partner (5/13/2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It seems like MIA-FLL should be a reasonable airport change for a connection. Google maps says it's only a 37-minute drive.
...because everyone's going to want to fly TLV-MIA-ground transfer-FLL-SEA instead of just connecting at SFO?
Old May 11, 2019, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
...because everyone's going to want to fly TLV-MIA-ground transfer-FLL-SEA instead of just connecting at SFO?
Depending on flight times or availability, maybe? There is not always inventory available on your first choice... or maybe someone wants to build in a long layover and spend a day in Miami? Not "everyone"... but certainly "some people". Options are always good. I have a trip coming up with a 23hr 40 min layover and a LHR-LGW ground transfer. It's a day in London without paying for a stopover.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Best bet will probably be LAS for availability and convenience, as much as Israel has a need for gambling I don't see this route being very load heavy. And with no O/D market like LAX or SFO with tech people, I could see LAS having the best availability. But I do believe it is only a once weekly flight, so we'll see if that plays a factor.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Depending on flight times or availability, maybe? There is not always inventory available on your first choice... or maybe someone wants to build in a long layover and spend a day in Miami? Not "everyone"... but certainly "some people". Options are always good. I have a trip coming up with a 23hr 40 min layover and a LHR-LGW ground transfer. It's a day in London without paying for a stopover.
"Them" probably means "normal LY connecting paid pax who are typically why you have partnerships", not "AS FT maximizer award pax who do things most normal people don't, like do awards where you use co-terminals, so they can eke out maximum value from an award".

I would not count on a ton of LY award availability. Assuming AS ever gets around to it (stares at SQ and EI in Flyertalk).

If you're an LY passenger wanting to go TLV-PDX, connecting in MIA and going via Uber to FLL so you can double-connect is beyond stupid compared to having an AS codeshare straight to PDX out of SFO/LAX, or I suppose even JFK/EWR. AS and LY want to feed their flights with this partnership. The flights they intend to feed are not out of MIA or FLL.
milypan and jinglish like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by safari ari
So have to ask, does this go the way of SQ and we have to wait until 2023 to get award redemptions? They have the earning chart already up, but of course "Award redemption isn’t available at this time, but will be at a later date."
I'm with you. What's the point of adding new partners if we still can't redeem on partners that were added in 2017/2018 like Singapore, Aer Lingus, etc.??
Old May 13, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K
i really wonder why it takes AS so long to be able allow award redemption on new partners. I would have thought that all that would get hashed out during negotiations with the partner airline.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Its official now, Link is back up and AS has announced on their facebook page
Old May 13, 2019, 3:19 pm

Press release from AS:
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2019-...al-partnership
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:42 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by CDKing
Its official now, Link is back up and AS has announced on their facebook page
Originally Posted by safari ari
Cool. I hope they get partner redemptions up and running sooner than they have for Singapore. Given the low earning rates for Y on most AS partners, the redemptions are really worth more to me than the earnings. How many partners do we currently have that do not yet have redemptions available?
Old May 13, 2019, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
i really wonder why it takes AS so long to be able allow award redemption on new partners. I would have thought that all that would get hashed out during negotiations with the partner airline.
I don't think it has anything to do with negotiations - I'm sure the partners that will allow award redemption have already defined with AS what fare classes will be available and the redemption values. I think it has everything to do with integrating Alaska's booking system with the partners to allow users to book a partner flight.

Given how much trouble they've had with their existing integrations - and how there are plenty of stories about failed bookings going back for who knows how long - I wouldn't expect anything but a BA surcharge to TLV for a long, long time.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by KnownasEric
I don't think it has anything to do with negotiations - I'm sure the partners that will allow award redemption have already defined with AS what fare classes will be available and the redemption values. I think it has everything to do with integrating Alaska's booking system with the partners to allow users to book a partner flight.

Given how much trouble they've had with their existing integrations - and how there are plenty of stories about failed bookings going back for who knows how long - I wouldn't expect anything but a BA surcharge to TLV for a long, long time.
You can find AY awards to skirt around the BA surcharge, as well as CX/KE/DE through HKG/ICN/FRA. Nonetheless, if your technical integration team cannot get one system to talk to another to get award bookings in a timely manner then they should be fired and never employed again. I believe this is more negotiations as SQ is one of the harder partner airlines to get award space on, and AS probably decided to let people get credit flying them and figure out all the details later.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
"Them" probably means "normal LY connecting paid pax who are typically why you have partnerships", not "AS FT maximizer award pax who do things most normal people don't, like do awards where you use co-terminals, so they can eke out maximum value from an award".

I would not count on a ton of LY award availability. Assuming AS ever gets around to it (stares at SQ and EI in Flyertalk).

If you're an LY passenger wanting to go TLV-PDX, connecting in MIA and going via Uber to FLL so you can double-connect is beyond stupid compared to having an AS codeshare straight to PDX out of SFO/LAX, or I suppose even JFK/EWR. AS and LY want to feed their flights with this partnership. The flights they intend to feed are not out of MIA or FLL.
Traffic between MIA and FLL could be terrible, depending on time of the day and day of the week. This is not a good way to transit and connect through.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
If you look at the codeshares that they have set up, this is clearly about connecting LY from/to AS flights in/out of SFO and LAX, though EWR and LAX both make modest appearances. MIA/FLL connections are definitely not the main event here. https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...from-may-2019/
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CalanMan
If you look at the codeshares that they have set up, this is clearly about connecting LY from/to AS flights in/out of SFO and LAX, though EWR and LAX both make modest appearances. MIA/FLL connections are definitely not the main event here. https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...from-may-2019/
What, AS isn't codesharing FLL-SEA with LY and partnering with Uber to codeshare MIA-FLL?

ashill and CalanMan like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by CalanMan
what I find strange is that BOS is also not a part of the codeshare agreement…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.