Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cuba visas sold by 3rd party at Alaska counter @ LAX Feb 2017?

Old May 8, 2019, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO

Long shot here.... my renewal application for Global Entry was not approved automatically. They want me to come in for an interview. I'm guessing its because of my Feb 17, 2017 flight from LAX - Havana.

I'd like to be prepared with a copy of my Tourist Card, but for the life of me, I cannot find it anywhere. Normally, I take photos of all documents, but this one is MIA.

So, I'm trying to track down the name of the company/travel agent that was setup next to the Alaska Airlines ticket counter at LAX back in Feb 17. They were selling these for $100 or so.

Anyone remember or have a copy of their tourist card with the company info?

Long shot, but I have to try!
Old May 8, 2019, 4:33 pm

I believe All renewals must have a personal interview
Old May 8, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sydneyjb
The vetting department decides if an interview is required or not. Once it is determined that an interview is required for renewal there is no appealing the decision.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...try-membership
Old May 8, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
That is not the case. However, the follow-up personal interviews (in the one experience I've heard of) was rather innocuous.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Last year I renewed my GE membership purely online without an in person interview
Old May 8, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The vetting department decides if an interview is required or not. Once it is determined that an interview is required for renewal there is no appealing the decision.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...try-membership
But, sometimes they seem to repeal their own decision

A couple of years ago I renewed my application and was invited for an interview. My wife got renewed without a hitch. We both had similar international travel (incl. legal trip to Cuba). Then a couple of weeks after the initial notice they sent me another notice telling me that they had changed their mind and I was approved without interview.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:13 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That is not the case. However, the follow-up personal interviews (in the one experience I've heard of) was rather innocuous.
i had an in person interview for renewing NEXUS and it was extremely uneventful.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not even close. The vast majority of renewals are processed without an interview. It is a risk-based system.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO
According to my CBP account online, I am "Conditionally Approved". Does anyone have any input on what that might mean?

I've heard horror stories of people being questioned and threatened with arrest for past travel to Cuba. Many agents aren't aware that travel there was more legal 2 years ago then it is now, thus there is some confusion and documentation will be valuable.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I wouldn't worry too much about it. You took a legal trip which was allowed by airline and US Customs upon your return to America. AS long as you remember which of the 13 reasons you choose (Religious, Athletic/Sports, Education, whatever it was) I doubt they really care since everyone knew regulations were quite loose and you would be 1 of thousands of folks visiting Cuba during the previous Administration.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
According to my CBP account online, I am "Conditionally Approved". Does anyone have any input on what that might mean?
Your trusted-traveller-program "Dashboard" should be showing that you need to setup an interview (if needed) or waiting to send/receive renewal card (if a renewal and no interview required).
richardinmotion likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
That's what it says until after your interview. I wouldn't worry about the Cuba thing - couple of my family members visited before the embargo was lifted and have had no problems renewing their Nexus cards a couple times.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

But, sometimes they seem to repeal their own decision

A couple of years ago I renewed my application and was invited for an interview. My wife got renewed without a hitch. We both had similar international travel (incl. legal trip to Cuba). Then a couple of weeks after the initial notice they sent me another notice telling me that they had changed their mind and I was approved without interview.
Correct. An interview requirement can be changed to immediate approval after input from certain members of Congress (one of many constituent services MOCs provide).
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jjmadison
Correct. An interview requirement can be changed to immediate approval after input from certain members of Congress (one of many constituent services MOCs provide).
Good to know, but that probably wasn’t the reason for their change of mind in my case, though. I had resigned myself to having to go to an interview and was surprised when the second notice came.

OP - my initial status was provisionally approved, as far as I recall.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:03 pm

I believe it was Cuba Travel Services

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.