Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANC-ORD Is Back

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
ANC-ORD Is Back

Another sign that summer is getting closer... the seasonal ANC-ORD flight begins tonight, with a redeye from ANC to ORD (although today's high in Anchorage is only 28 degrees F ).

ANC-ORD 1945-0500 (Thu-Sun), 2300-0820 (daily)
ORD-ANC 0055-0435 (Fri-Mon), 0935-1315 (daily)

The route is back for 2019 and appears to be on the schedule through 9/8, with just one daily flight the final week.

Has anyone had experience flying this route with AS? Even up front, 7 hours seems like a long time on a 16F 737. Every year I tell myself I'm going to fly this route, but I usually end up with a connection on better flights (AA is running the 787 DFW-ANC this year, for example).

Anyway, just curious to hear others' thoughts/experiences.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
It's not hot today in Anchorage, but it sure is a lot warmer than 28F

I have this flight booked for July, didn't have any issues with when I flew it a few years ago, and that was before I got upgraded almost every flight. Just a little long, but I have issues falling asleep when flying anyways, so the longer duration helped on that front.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I flew ANC-DFW on an AA redeye, which is almost as long. I was in F on a 757 with no power. Not a fun experience. Fortunately, it's a 787 now.
allset2travel likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I've done this route quite a few times.... definitely needed a sleeping pill. It was a constant highway from Y into the F cabin and I had an aisle seat... everyone and their mother would grab my seatback and use it for "support" as they walk up the aisle, waking me every 2 or 3 minutes.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by metallo
Another sign that summer is getting closer... the seasonal ANC-ORD flight begins tonight, with a redeye from ANC to ORD (although today's high in Anchorage is only 28 degrees F ).

ANC-ORD 1945-0500 (Thu-Sun), 2300-0820 (daily)
ORD-ANC 0055-0435 (Fri-Mon), 0935-1315 (daily)

The route is back for 2019 and appears to be on the schedule through 9/8, with just one daily flight the final week.

Has anyone had experience flying this route with AS? Even up front, 7 hours seems like a long time on a 16F 737. Every year I tell myself I'm going to fly this route, but I usually end up with a connection on better flights (AA is running the 787 DFW-ANC this year, for example).

Anyway, just curious to hear others' thoughts/experiences.
You might want to get a better weather app...

Anyway, not really any different from any other AS transcon-length route. It’s not even the longest route in the AS system anymore...that honor goes to ANC-KOA (by a whopping 40 or so miles).
Old May 7, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I flew ANC-DFW on an AA redeye, which is almost as long. I was in F on a 757 with no power. Not a fun experience. Fortunately, it's a 787 now.
ANC-DFW is longer than ANC-ORD by about 200 miles.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:10 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Chugach
ANC-DFW is longer than ANC-ORD by about 200 miles.
Yes, in miles. But the AA scheduled time is shorter in both directions. Perhaps because of the 787?
Old May 7, 2019, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Chugach

You might want to get a better weather app...

Anyway, not really any different from any other AS transcon-length route. It’s not even the longest route in the AS system anymore...that honor goes to ANC-KOA (by a whopping 40 or so miles).
Yes ANC-KOA is distance wise. However, ORD-ANC seems to have the longest flight times in AS' system. 7+ hours is possible on this route Too long even in F on AS
Old May 7, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Yes ANC-KOA is distance wise. However, ORD-ANC seems to have the longest flight times in AS' system. 7+ hours is possible on this route Too long even in F on AS
Unless you're asleep on the red-eye!
Old May 7, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Blankets? Not a "premium" transcon, so...
Old May 8, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by dayone
Yes, in miles. But the AA scheduled time is shorter in both directions. Perhaps because of the 787?
Schedule padding. AS blocks ANC-ORD as 6:20 southbound; UA blocks it as 5:58. Both AS and UA use 738’s on the random date I looked at (June 9).

AA blocks ANC-DFW as 6:11, for what it’s worth.

My real world experience on ANC-ORD is it’s usually around five to five and a half hours going south, and going north has more variance due to the jet stream, but is usually around six hours. Definitely a long time to be on a 737, but beats the heck out of stopping in Seattle. CO/UA have run 737’s in the past on IAH-ANC...now THAT is a long time to be on a 737 (I think that one blocks at 7:20 if I remember right).

Here’s one more quirky fact...ORD-FAI and MSP-FAI are both shorter routes than ORD-ANC and MSP-ANC.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Blankets? Not a "premium" transcon, so...
I got a blanket on the SEA-AUS redeye last year.
rustykettel likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
On the SEA-FLL Monday, not looking forward to how long that is. AS says 6:10 for that flight, but it looks pretty dependent on winds. Also F and PC have been full for weeks. So just exit row for me.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Has anyone had experience flying this route with AS? Even up front, 7 hours seems like a long time on a 16F 737.
There are narrowbodies on routes a lot longer than that, and have been for years. ORD-ANC is 2,846 statute miles by Great Circle Mapper. UA ran a 757 on Berlin-Newark for years at 3,980. Delta ran a 757 (after several years with a 763) JFK-Pisa at 4,131.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
With the way the jet stream has been acting this year, there have been some mighty long flights in the AS system. The Florida-Pacific NW flights and the BOS/ZNY transcons have been pushing 6+30 or more of air time. Hawaii routes have been long too.

At least with that ORD-ANC route they can flight plan around a good chunk of the jet stream since it's not usually that bad once you get farther north. For the routes in the lower 48, especially the ones going to the Pacific NW, there's not a whole lot you can do except watch your over ground speed get slower and slower and slower and slower. What makes the flights long is this insistence by AS to board 45 minutes early. Any taxi delay just adds to the butt in seat time and a six or 6+15 flight easily pushes seven hours of butt in seat time.

? Even up front, 7 hours seems like a long time on a 16F 737
Earlier this year I was on MCO-PDX that took 6+30, and boarding 45 minutes before departure, plus a taxi delay at MCO made it take FOREVER. I think I was easily on the plane for an hour before we even took off.

That being said the crew was great so it wasn't that bad. Drink water, stretch a few times and binge watch a bunch of Netflix.

Last edited by tusphotog; May 9, 2019 at 4:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.