Delayed on AS 375 EWR-SFO (5/5/2019)

Old May 5, 19, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Delayed on AS 375 EWR-SFO (5/5/2019)

Anyone else on this flight? I actually think they are handling it really well. Captain is super nice and patient.

Delay after delay after delay. One indicator light stuck on... they reset it... another light comes on... they reset it... it comes on again. Turns out they have to replace a sensor, which they don't have, but can source from UA. Latest update is they have the part and are installing it; hoping to leave by 10pm.

Fun Times! Some pax are not handling this well. A few of them cancelled (rather than wait to see if AS cancels) and plan to rebook themselves tomorrow. This is when they learn about walk-up fares...

Last edited by VegasGambler; May 6, 19 at 1:30 am
Old May 5, 19, 9:24 pm

Programs: AS, New Sagaya
Good luck!
Old May 5, 19, 11:13 pm

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Good luck - maybe those canceling are planning to use miles on other airlines? Feels like a gamble (ok, intentional pun!!)
Old May 6, 19, 12:22 am

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
5 hour delay....I'm betting you didn't get a PDB and the compensation may be $50.
Old May 6, 19, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
5 hour delay....I'm betting you didn't get a PDB and the compensation may be $50.
5 and a half hour delay! And I managed a PDB before we deplaned the first time, on the FA's second pass through. First FA wanted to offer standard AS PDB but the second FA opened up the bar.

The FAs on this flight are quite good (inbound was a different story). But there just isn't the routine to do things that FAs should be doing in F. No PDB, no coming by asking to hang jackets, no greeting passengers... this is not the FA's fault, it's AS'. But that's off topic

I was truly impressed by the captain. He handled this very well. Came out to the terminal, answered passenger's questions in a friendly way... I think he just naturally had a calming influence on everyone.

i don't think most of the people canceling were planning on using miles. They were rage quitting. I did notice that the UA flight at 10pm went from J3 Y9 to J1 Y0 in a hurry. I was actually considering it. Econ was going for $985 (M) and the first two first class tickets were going for $1659 (Z fare). The last one was full J at over $3k. There was no saver award space, unless I was misreading the UA fare codes (which are confusing AF). I saw JN and YN which I understand to be non-saver J and Y awards. No I, IN, X, or XN.
Old May 6, 19, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Interesting ending to this story...

When we got off the plane they had to un-check us in, and they told us that we would have to re-check-in at 9. This was announced a few times but a few people missed it.

Anyway so there was this one lady (in F) who was kind of losing it the whole time and trying to pull a DYKWIA in really strange ways. Like, asking why they aren't prioritizing first class customers for announcing information. I'm not even sure what that means (did she want them to build a soundproof room?)

So, of course, she missed the 6 announcements that we had to check in again. When we went to board her bp would not scan -- they told her that she had to check in again. She refused. There was no line... it would have taken less than 30 seconds to check in. She wanted to argue with the gate agent instead. I was behind her in line, so another gate agent called me over when it was clear that she was intent on arguing. My buddy boarded a little later in economy and said she was still arguing. She never got on the plane.

Interesting place to draw a line in the sand... wait out a 5.5 hr delay and then refuse to get on the plane because you don't want to talk to a GA to check you in.
mixmastermark and jinglish like this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; May 6, 19 at 3:43 am
Old May 6, 19, 3:53 am

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
I had a trip like that in March. Long delays out of JFK to SFO meant I would miss my connecting flight at SFO. AS allowed everyone to get off the plane, unchecked us. Rather than dealing with the long lines at the gate, I called AS, cancelled all flights, and got a credit for the entire trip. Went home rather than waiting it out.

​​​​​​OP, what was the flight time? AS had several transcon flights last with week of 8 hours+ flying through Canada.
Old May 6, 19, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
I had a trip like that in March. Long delays out of JFK to SFO meant I would miss my connecting flight at SFO. AS allowed everyone to get off the plane, unchecked us. Rather than dealing with the long lines at the gate, I called AS, cancelled all flights, and got a credit for the entire trip. Went home rather than waiting it out.

​​​​​​OP, what was the flight time? AS had several transcon flights last with week of 8 hours+ flying through Canada.
Scheduled 5:30; departed 11. No one on the plane had a connection (possibly some people had separate tickets but I didn't hear people mention that).

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that there are no good reasons to cancel and rebook. Hell, I was extremely tempted by that UA flight. I'm just saying that a lot of people were clearly acting illogically and rage quitting. It was clear from their demeanor. Some people also got AS to move them to a flight the next day, which, depending on how good you are at staying up late, may make sense. But there was a significant contingent of "you guys don't know what you are doing; I'm canceling" sort of people who I'm pretty sure weren't thinking things though. At the end of the day it was a 5.5hr delay which sucks but isn't going to break any records or anything. These things happen; it's part of flying.

I'm curious to see what the compensation is. I already got the email saying that I'll get something in a few days.
Old May 6, 19, 4:31 am

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA "fools Gold" (aka PresPlus).
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Scheduled 5:30; departed 11. No one on the plane had a connection (possibly some people had separate tickets but I didn't hear people mention that).

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that there are no good reasons to cancel and rebook. Hell, I was extremely tempted by that UA flight. I'm just saying that a lot of people were clearly acting illogically and rage quitting. It was clear from their demeanor. Some people also got AS to move them to a flight the next day, which, depending on how good you are at staying up late, may make sense. But there was a significant contingent of "you guys don't know what you are doing; I'm canceling" sort of people who I'm pretty sure weren't thinking things though. At the end of the day it was a 5.5hr delay which sucks but isn't going to break any records or anything. These things happen; it's part of flying.

I'm curious to see what the compensation is. I already got the email saying that I'll get something in a few days.
Looks like it was a 737-900 that went MX. Given the whole 737-MAX8 debacle, it is not super surprising some people acted irrationally.

As to flight length looks looks like it was 4:55 flight time.

Is there any way Alaska could have handled passengers better? At the very least I hope they convinced AA to keep the Admirals Club open for premium passengers.
Old May 6, 19, 7:52 am

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Your title is confusing! I read it as a positive AS experience with a rating of 5 out of 5, opened the thread to 5.5 hour delay and didn't realize it was a Cinco de Mayo flight.

James in Santiago
tusphotog likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
i don't think most of the people canceling were planning on using miles. They were rage quitting. I did notice that the UA flight at 10pm went from J3 Y9 to J1 Y0 in a hurry. I was actually considering it. Econ was going for $985 (M) and the first two first class tickets were going for $1659 (Z fare). The last one was full J at over $3k. There was no saver award space, unless I was misreading the UA fare codes (which are confusing AF). I saw JN and YN which I understand to be non-saver J and Y awards. No I, IN, X, or XN.
Why would fare matter? AS should do the rebook and reissue the ticket for United.
Old May 6, 19, 9:01 am

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Why would fare matter? AS should do the rebook and reissue the ticket for United.
Because he was on a coach ticket upgraded by GGU and presumably didn't want to fly in Y on UA?
channa likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 9:33 am

Interesting ending to this story...

When we got off the plane they had to un-check us in, and they told us that we would have to re-check-in at 9. This was announced a few times but a few people missed it.

Anyway so there was this one lady (in F) who was kind of losing it the whole time and trying to pull a DYKWIA in really strange ways. Like, asking why they aren't prioritizing first class customers for announcing information. I'm not even sure what that means (did she want them to build a soundproof room?)

So, of course, she missed the 6 announcements that we had to check in again. When we went to board her bp would not scan -- they told her that she had to check in again. She refused. There was no line... it would have taken less than 30 seconds to check in. She wanted to argue with the gate agent instead. I was behind her in line, so another gate agent called me over when it was clear that she was intent on arguing. My buddy boarded a little later in economy and said she was still arguing. She never got on the plane.

Interesting place to draw a line in the sand... wait out a 5.5 hr delay and then refuse to get on the plane because you don't want to talk to a GA to check you in.
I don't think her behavior is abnormal. People hate delays, waiting, with no information (obviously they didn't tell you initially it will be 5.5h, but told you bit by bit, stringing you along). Sometimes their patience/tolerance just isn't there anymore.
listrajo likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa View Post
Does AS interline with UA? That was something that I wasn't sure about. But, as another poster for pointed out, yes, I was on a GGU, which is abother reason I didn't want to change anything if possible.

For a delay (the flight was not cancelled) would AS even be willing to change to another airline? I've had luck getting them to do that with a cancellation when the rebooking options were not great (once) but for a delay that seems like asking a lot. In the end we left an hour after that UA flight.

I got email about the compensation this morning. A $125 discount code. It could be more (I was hoping for something in the $200-$250 range) but this really was not AS's fault at all -- I'm ok with it.
Old May 6, 19, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Your title is confusing! I read it as a positive AS experience with a rating of 5 out of 5, opened the thread to 5.5 hour delay and didn't realize it was a Cinco de Mayo flight.

James in Santiago
As a Canadian I thought that you may be confused as to whether I was referring to May 5th, or the 5th of May.

Search this Thread