Delayed on AS 375 EWR-SFO (5/5/2019)

Old May 6, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post

Looks like it was a 737-900 that went MX. Given the whole 737-MAX8 debacle, it is not super surprising some people acted irrationally.

As to flight length looks looks like it was 4:55 flight time.

Is there any way Alaska could have handled passengers better? At the very least I hope they convinced AA to keep the Admirals Club open for premium passengers.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...140Z/KEWR/KSFO - 6 hours per flightaware - not sure if sub-5 hours is possible for east to west heading.

Hey, at least it wasn't 8 hours+: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...140Z/KEWR/KSFO
jjmadison likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...140Z/KEWR/KSFO - 6 hours per flightaware - not sure if sub-5 hours is possible for east to west heading.

Hey, at least it wasn't 8 hours+: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...140Z/KEWR/KSFO
Yeah it was definitely 6 hours. We left at around 11 and landed at about 2am (+ 3 hr difference = 6hr).

On the flight there (eastbound) our FA was apparently having trouble with time zones because he kept announcing a 4:15 flight time (it was 5:15).
Old May 6, 19, 12:25 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post

On the flight there (eastbound) our FA was apparently having trouble with time zones because he kept announcing a 4:15 flight time (it was 5:15).
You should be happy that you made it the whole 5:15. If the flight were to only last 4:15, that would not have been a good outcome.
Old May 6, 19, 1:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
$125 does seem a bit on the light side given the length of the delay - but if it had been me in that situation I think I'd be most concerned with how they handled the situation at the time it occurred, which it sounds like they did they best that can be expected. As for the angry woman who refused to re-check - it's amazing how irrational we are capable of being. I cannot imagine in her mind that the situation resulted in her feeling any sort of "victory"
Old May 6, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Does AS interline with UA? That was something that I wasn't sure about. But, as another poster for pointed out, yes, I was on a GGU, which is abother reason I didn't want to change anything if possible.
Yes, AS and UA interline. UA has pushed me to AS 4 times in IRROPs in the past year (weather delays) and I also frequently book SEA-PVD tickets on UA stock with an AS SEA-ORD segment.
Old May 6, 19, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Does AS interline with UA? That was something that I wasn't sure about. But, as another poster for pointed out, yes, I was on a GGU, which is abother reason I didn't want to change anything if possible.

For a delay (the flight was not cancelled) would AS even be willing to change to another airline? I've had luck getting them to do that with a cancellation when the rebooking options were not great (once) but for a delay that seems like asking a lot. In the end we left an hour after that UA flight.

I got email about the compensation this morning. A $125 discount code. It could be more (I was hoping for something in the $200-$250 range) but this really was not AS's fault at all -- I'm ok with it.
Yes, AS and UA rebook on each other. Being in SFO, UA is often the de facto protection in an AS IRROP (and vice versa). I've had AS send me over to UA a couple of times in the past year on cancellations. I was in a major delay situation once as well (just like yours, upgraded), and I asked about it, and they were willing to do it, but like you, I decided to wait it out.

This sounds like it was a mechanical. Why do you say this was not AS's fault? This was 100% AS's fault if it was a mechanical.
Old May 6, 19, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
As a Canadian I thought that you may be confused as to whether I was referring to May 5th, or the 5th of May.
Brilliant reply! Condescending, but that is your style. Maybe I had it confused with IQ numbers or something else? Not sure!

James enroute Miami.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Brilliant reply! Condescending, but that is your style. Maybe I had it confused with IQ numbers or something else? Not sure!

James enroute Miami.
Not condescending! As a fellow Canadian (expat but I grew up there) I am well aware of day/month vs month/day confusion when dealing with the US. And this time they are both the same... I thought it was funny.
Old May 6, 19, 6:52 pm

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA "fools Gold" (aka PresPlus).
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post

I was going off 4:55 number from Expert Flyer.
Old May 7, 19, 4:34 pm

There was another Alaska Airlines evening option but gate agent denied its existence

I was on this flight last Sunday with my wife. After the first hour of waiting (approx 6:30pm), I called the Alaska MVP line (I am "regular" MVP) and was told there was lots of space on AS 317 at 7:40pm, and all I needed to do was get ourselves de-listed by gate agent, and then phone agent could move us to AS 317. Gate agent (Ed) hotly (and publicly) denied this information, and urged everyone to stick with current flight (AS 375) as it would surely depart before AS 317, and there was no room according to him on that flight. We found ourselves temporarily intimidated by his assuredness, but ultimately decided it was worth the gamble. He huffily agreed to de-list us, and we successfully moved to AS 317 and landed 3 hours before AS 375 landed (11pm vs. 2am). We are sorry for the plight of the passengers that remained on the flight and endured a 5 hour delay, but we are especially angry that the gate agent did not do more to help other passengers follow the path that we did - our new flight (AS 317) departed with at least 20 empty seats that could have been given to AS 375 "refugees" like us.
channa, rustykettel and spamman808 like this.
Old May 7, 19, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by listrajo View Post
I was on this flight last Sunday with my wife. After the first hour of waiting (approx 6:30pm), I called the Alaska MVP line (I am "regular" MVP) and was told there was lots of space on AS 317 at 7:40pm, and all I needed to do was get ourselves de-listed by gate agent, and then phone agent could move us to AS 317. Gate agent (Ed) hotly (and publicly) denied this information, and urged everyone to stick with current flight (AS 375) as it would surely depart before AS 317, and there was no room according to him on that flight. We found ourselves temporarily intimidated by his assuredness, but ultimately decided it was worth the gamble. He huffily agreed to de-list us, and we successfully moved to AS 317 and landed 3 hours before AS 375 landed (11pm vs. 2am). We are sorry for the plight of the passengers that remained on the flight and endured a 5 hour delay, but we are especially angry that the gate agent did not do more to help other passengers follow the path that we did - our new flight (AS 317) departed with at least 20 empty seats that could have been given to AS 375 "refugees" like us.
Yeah I saw that space and noted to the guy beside me that Ed was a liar. He was saying it was full, but... I could see on EF that it was not. He was also saying that there were no other flights on other airlines, which was also a lie.

I considered moving but I didn't like my chances of keeping my F seat (I was on a GGU and the other flight was F1... I would go to the back of the list with the change) and I was really not sure when it would leave. If I could have predicted the extra 3 hr I would have taken the other flight.

Edit: This post motivated me to call in. I gave great feedback about the Captain ( I really did think that he did a great job) and gave negative feedback about Ed. The agent did tell me that the compensation was wrong for a delay of that length -- it may have been calculated before they knew the full length, and it should be slightly more (in the $150-$175 range). After I gave my feedback she upped my comp to $200, which I thought was a nice gesture, but not why I called. Overall I was happy with the conversation. Honestly, with the exception of Ed, I thought that it was handled well.

Last edited by VegasGambler; May 7, 19 at 5:19 pm
Old May 7, 19, 6:02 pm

I definitely agree situation was handled well (other than Ed) - flight attendants, pilot, other gate agents, and phone agents were all super-helpful, efficient, accurate and friendly, and made the experience far more bearable. But Ed had too much power and influence in this situation - over other gate agents, and over passengers.

Last edited by listrajo; May 7, 19 at 6:03 pm Reason: Add quote
Old May 7, 19, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Ed sounds like a hoot!

EWR is always so much fun, such nice folks at the airport.
jjmadison and princeville like this.
Old May 7, 19, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
Ed sounds like a hoot!

EWR is always so much fun, such nice folks at the airport.
The thing is, everyone else was great.
Old May 7, 19, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @listrajo.

It pays to be a savvy traveler sometimes

Search this Thread