A Small Victory in SAN for AS?

Old May 1, 2019, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
In looking at the seat maps, I noticed they have 16 F seat which means a 900 or 321. Could AS be holding the final row of F to guard against possiblly down grading 4 passengers due to an aircraft swap with an 800 with only 12F. Better to have the seats go out empty than refunding the most of the F fare due to a down grade
This route is served by a -900 most of the time, but it is occasionally an -800 so you may have a point there.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I'm trying to figure out what you're saying here. For some reason, none of this makes any sense to me. Underselling F means more upgrades so I'm not even sure why anyone here would be opposed to that. Nevertheless, my point is that, while there may be some $499 fares, that's usually limited to a couple of seats and then prices start getting higher. Whether they sell the entire F cabin or not, ???
It's fantastic for upgrades. As the beneficiary of said upgrades, I think it's fantastic. That said, it's challenging your assertion that they're only selling an occasional seat or two for $499 here or there. They're selling many of them for $0 (or $150 in the back, if you want to look at it that way).

Originally Posted by Snowdevil
You do realize you can't tell anything about loads, let alone yields, from a seat map - right?
When you see them underselling F cabins, you can infer something. When your MVP friend boasts a 100% upgrade rate on multiple transcons and we've both experienced F cabins with empty seats on transcons, combined with AS's official comments on the matter, you can infer quite a bit.

Yes, you're technically correct -- every time you see a situation like this, AS could have sold 5-8 seats per flight to people who didn't pick a seat. Technically possible. Likely not. They're overselling Y to undersell F.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by channa
They're overselling Y to undersell F.
This can be a particularly good strategy in markets without strong paid premium demand. With most corporate travel policies restricting purchase of F, you can sell Y at an equal (or higher) price point and fill F with upgrades.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by fly18725
This can be a particularly good strategy in markets without strong paid premium demand. With most corporate travel policies restricting purchase of F, you can sell Y at an equal (or higher) price point and fill F with upgrades.
Which worked well for them for many years in SEA/PDX but is failing miserably in California which is dragging down their overall profitability. So either they try a different strategy for California or continue to claim to be clueless as to why they are performing so poorly on California transcons. Pushing the credit card to get people to get a two for one ticket with double points and free status while paying rock bottom fares and getting free upgrades to F is just not a winning strategy for them to do anything other than filling seats at a loss. The markets are just too competitive out of California and they don't have a product worth a significant premium and in many markets have an inferior product. They seem to have gotten rid of their route planning department and are coasting along this year banging their head against the wall and wondering why they still have a headache.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Or, AS might be holding back a few seats for operational reasons. Don't pilots sit in F when flying to their plane?

James in Dubai.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Or, AS might be holding back a few seats for operational reasons. Don't pilots sit in F when flying to their plane?
6 or so seats on bunches of transcon flights?

Sure, I get this on SJC-BUR. But they do this on flights like SFO-JFK too, while competitors can't add enough premium cabin space.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Which worked well for them for many years in SEA/PDX but is failing miserably in California which is dragging down their overall profitability. So either they try a different strategy for California or continue to claim to be clueless as to why they are performing so poorly on California transcons. Pushing the credit card to get people to get a two for one ticket with double points and free status while paying rock bottom fares and getting free upgrades to F is just not a winning strategy for them to do anything other than filling seats at a loss. The markets are just too competitive out of California and they don't have a product worth a significant premium and in many markets have an inferior product. They seem to have gotten rid of their route planning department and are coasting along this year banging their head against the wall and wondering why they still have a headache.
From your comments, I would conclude that success in California is solely based on offering a superior premium product on transcons. Other routes, and the back of the plane, are irrelevant.

While premium traffic can drive higher yields, your thesis ignores two key facts. First, AS has a significantly lower cost structure than the legacies which allows it to be profitable at lower yields. Second, VX had, at the end, a slightly less inferior product than its competitors. How was VX going to be successful when it had higher costs and a worse product than B6? Come to think of it, why isn’t B6 more profitable if it has such a great product?

Originally Posted by channa
Sure, I get this on SJC-BUR. But they do this on flights like SFO-JFK too, while competitors can't add enough premium cabin space.
Is it not possible to be successful without selling out your premium cabin if the overall cost basis supports that?
Old May 1, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it not possible to be successful without selling out your premium cabin if the overall cost basis supports that?
Of course it is. But you're also choosing to ignore the context here. AS said they're having premium cabin yield issues in California to Boston and New York transcons. These are many of the markets where they have a materially weaker premium product.

jetBlue does exactly what you're saying out of secondary markets (e.g., OAK and SMF). Out of major markets (SFO and LAX), jetBlue stopped doing that and came out with Mint, and Delta previously failed at it with Song. There's plenty of data points if you want to see what's worked and what hasn't. AS is welcome to try again, though.
sfozrhfco likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:59 am

From your comments, I would conclude that success in California is solely based on offering a superior premium product on transcons. Other routes, and the back of the plane, are irrelevant.

While premium traffic can drive higher yields, your thesis ignores two key facts. First, AS has a significantly lower cost structure than the legacies which allows it to be profitable at lower yields. Second, VX had, at the end, a slightly less inferior product than its competitors. How was VX going to be successful when it had higher costs and a worse product than B6? Come to think of it, why isn’t B6 more profitable if it has such a great product?

Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
I have trips to EWR and MCO that need to be booked for this summer, and for the sake of comparison, I wanted to look at pricing on WN. However, it appears that WN has cut both of these nonstops. Perhaps they are a casualty of the MAX issues?

My first thought was that WN might be making room for Hawaii flights, but they have yet to put any on the schedule from SAN.

I just flew SAN-MCO-SAN last week and SAN-EWR yesterday on AS, and all flights were completely full, so I think this bids well for Alaska going forward. I even failed to get an upgrade on SAN-EWR for the first time in four flights this year (I was #4 on the list and the first three cleared), so they’re even selling a good chunk of F seats now.
I can confirm that WN in general does poorly on transcon and EWR. And the 2 routes they are cutting due to MAX are underperforming routes. They were never added to be successful, but to annoy AS. I don't think WN is under delusion that these routes will do well long term. I think they were also added to utilize the gates at EWR that they have, since EWR might get back on slots soon.

also, since WN does not sell F on SAN-EWR, the reason your upgrade didn't clear is most likely not due to WN not flying that day. In general, AS performance on SAN-EWR and SJC-EWR/JFK have been abysmal. SJC-JFK is especially bad given that it's a daytime flight eastbound.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tphuang
I can confirm that WN in general does poorly on transcon and EWR. And the 2 routes they are cutting due to MAX are underperforming routes. They were never added to be successful, but to annoy AS. I don't think WN is under delusion that these routes will do well long term. I think they were also added to utilize the gates at EWR that they have, since EWR might get back on slots soon.

also, since WN does not sell F on SAN-EWR, the reason your upgrade didn't clear is most likely not due to WN not flying that day. In general, AS performance on SAN-EWR and SJC-EWR/JFK have been abysmal. SJC-JFK is especially bad given that it's a daytime flight eastbound.
And WN has a very small portion of their ASMs on transcons while AS has a much bigger percentage of transcons and on a base of far fewer flights overall per day. So as the ALK management has seen, that underperformance has had an immediate impact on their profitability. The strange thing is that management is still surprised years later how low transcons fares are from California. Maybe check google flights every once in a while to check fares on other airlines? LOL They need to get used to losing money--even with lower costs--on many of these routes, figure out a strategy to make them profitable, or just declare defeat and move on to other routes they feel would be a better fit for their product and FF benefits. Doing nothing and expecting a different result is just very poor management which drags down the company for no good reason.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by tphuang

I suppose I could have been more clear, but I wasn't implying I couldn't get upgraded because WN canceled SAN-EWR. I was trying to say it might bode well for AS going forward on this route, as they were clearly selling more F seats than before. I was getting upgraded on SAN-EWR throughout most of 2018 as MVP, with up to 8 people clearing into F per flight, and now I'm not clearing as Gold. WN canceling the route might help fill the back of the bus though, as fares on AS tend to be lower than on UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.