Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

OMG, It Is Hard to Earn Elite Miles (EQM) on Alaska

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OMG, It Is Hard to Earn Elite Miles (EQM) on Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO the main benefit of 75k is the 50k bonus RDM you get when you achieve the status.

Gold comes with waived change fees, which is extremely valuable. You also get free SDCs which are worth A LOT if you are flying routes with many flights per day (just buy the cheapest one of the day, which is probably at a time that no one wants to fly, and SDC to a more convenient time. This can save you hundreds of dollars on a trip.) You can also SDC your way into an upgrade if any flight has U space.

As far as I know, AS Gold status is the only status on any airline that gives you free changes and free SDCs (WN has free changes for everyone, but they don't have SDCs -- you always have to pay fare difference). That makes AS with gold status the most flexible option in my opinion.

Gold also gets you a 100% miles bonus, which is most of the way to the 75k 125% bonus. Actually the 50k miles upon qualification are worth more than the incremental 25% over gold (unless you manage 200k base miles per year -- certainly some people do, but very few)

As for actually earning the status, I got my gold status last year the hard way -- no partner miles, no OPM, and only one paid F trip. I passed 40k EQM with a Dec 30 SFO-LAX flight (also qualified for Hyatt Globalist status with my Dec 30 hotel stay, so it was very much a status run. I also ate Korean BBQ twice in about 16 hours so it was a good trip)

In can't image earning 75k if you (a) have a job where you actually have to show up, (b) don't travel for business, and (c) don't travel internationally with partners. On the other hand, you can really get a lot of miles with international premium cabin partner trips. I started this year with a round trip to HKG in premium economy in January ($780 due to the CX black friday sale -- ~15k EQM) and I'm about to fly to Bangkok in business class on JL, plus some repositioning transcons (~$3150 total, and taking advantage of some double RDM promos. The bottom line is I will earn almost 33k EQM and over 88k RDM). So those two trips alone almost get me to gold. (48k RDM; need 50k incl. partner miles for gold). I'll probably hit 75k this year despite moving a significant chunk of my travel to UA. Probably will keep UA gold too if I can squeeze in a business trip to Europe (I currently have UA gold through status match until the end of the year)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
In can't image earning 75k if you (a) have a job where you actually have to show up, (b) don't travel for business, and (c) don't travel internationally with partners.
It takes a lot of flights for sure... and a fair bit of $.
And yes, I have a job that I need to show up for, rarely travel for business (ANC-FAI last year) and my international partner travel is using my AS miles (non mileage earning)
Some days I do wonder...
spamman808 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
It takes a lot of flights for sure... and a fair bit of $.
And yes, I have a job that I need to show up for, rarely travel for business (ANC-FAI last year) and my international partner travel is using my AS miles (non mileage earning)
Some days I do wonder...
That is a ton of flying. I guess it helps that Alaska is so far from everything It must make those weekend trips tough though. I do a lot of transcon 2-day, 1-night trips (Friday red-eye over, Sunday evening back). Gives me a good day and a half at my destination and no PTO spent. Or I'll burn a day and make it a 3 day weekend (and on any long weekend I'm gone for sure)

My friend got hooked on this idea and is in the middle of a run of 8 consecutive weekend trips. I'm flying SFO-NYC with him next weekend. He just did a weekend in PHL this past weekend, and Miami (flew to FLL) the week before. He is loving double miles!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by shocked1
This may sound crazy (because it is), but my wife likes it when we get things "free" or on "sale". So, my hope was, rather than argue about why I prefer to just pay for 1st to go to places that are close (BUR, PSP, STS, etc) I could make my life easier by just getting us status.
You'd literally be spending thousands to save hundreds, which -- like so much consumer behavior -- is not rational. With FF programs degenerating it makes less and less sense these days to spend tangible dollars chasing theoretical benefits that, even when they materialize, don't justify the spend in the first place. Does your wife also come home from the stores laden with unneeded / discretionary acquisitions and say, "Look at all the money I saved!"? Um, look at all the money you spent.

And AS is better than the Big Three in this regard. If you genuinely think it's "hard" to earn miles on Alaska, fly around on AA for awhile on discount economy fares and see what AAdvantage "rewards" you've compiled. Literally not worth the effort.

20 years ago I could not have imagined discounting FF programs as influencing factors when booking air travel. Today I say "Who cares?" all the time.
lalala, Fraser, Jma12 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold 1MM (the unfriendly sky), Marriott Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz no longer
For helping the status runner, there is an Excel sheet that calculates the mileage earned (EQM & RDM) on AS & partners on this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...6&postcount=51
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:14 am

Hi Vegas Gambler -

On WN now, if you hit A-list, you can SDC for free on any earlier flight than your departure. So I can now buy the last flight of that day (usually cheaper) and then head to the airport. They also fixed the boarding issue - A-listers now board before Group B.

For me, it was a game changer ... and a perfect alternative to choosing between Saver vs Main.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi Vegas Gambler -

On WN now, if you hit A-list, you can SDC for free on any earlier flight than your departure. So I can now buy the last flight of that day (usually cheaper) and then head to the airport. They also fixed the boarding issue - A-listers now board before Group B.

For me, it was a game changer ... and a perfect alternative to choosing between Saver vs Main.
No, you can't. You can stand by for free. Not the same.

SDCs on AS are confirmed and you can SDC to any flight the same day -- earlier or later. In a few weeks I'm booked on a LAX-SFO flight at 6:30am which I have no intention of taking. I plan to have lunch in LA and head home in the late afternoon or early evening. The day before the flight I will SDC to flight in that time range. You can't do that on WN. The ability to do this saved me about $60 on this particular flight. This is not an unusual situation ... Sunday morning flights are usually quite cheap, because people want to fly Sunday evening -- whether they are returning home from a weekend trip or traveling for business so they can be there Monday morning. So something like this would be completely impossible to do on WN.

Even if I didn't have MVPG status I would have done this -- SDCs are only $25 within CA, so the savings would be worthwhile.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No, you can't. You can stand by for free. Not the same.

SDCs on AS are confirmed and you can SDC to any flight the same day -- earlier or later. In a few weeks I'm booked on a LAX-SFO flight at 6:30am which I have no intention of taking. I plan to have lunch in LA and head home in the late afternoon or early evening. The day before the flight I will SDC to flight in that time range. You can't do that on WN. The ability to do this saved me about $60 on this particular flight. This is not an unusual situation ... Sunday morning flights are usually quite cheap, because people want to fly Sunday evening -- whether they are returning home from a weekend trip or traveling for business so they can be there Monday morning. So something like this would be completely impossible to do on WN.

Even if I didn't have MVPG status I would have done this -- SDCs are only $25 within CA, so the savings would be worthwhile.
Don't you run the risk of all flights later in the day being sold-out or oversold? What would you do in that situation?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
MVPG is definitely attainable for a leisure traveler. 75K is much harder if you're not getting work to chip in for some miles.

Thanks to no minimum spend required - if you're willing to put in the time to research, and the time in the air, you can achieve 40k miles on AS at a very reasonable price. I've never been super concerned with going the minimum spend route (except on mileage runs) but in 2014 I hit MVPG flying only AS metal and did it at quite a reasonable cost.

Adding international partners does increase the rate at which you can earn, but also raises the bar of how far. It's probably not going to be as cost effective in terms of money, but can be more time effective in terms of reducing your time in the air. After 2014 I started more international travel and my cost has increased about 50% on average - but that's just one person's example and I try to find at least one good business class international deal a year - which even at a good deal, is expensive. But its a fun way to travel and to see new places.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi Vegas Gambler -

Per WN:
On the day of travel, please see a Customer Service Agent at the airport for this benefit. Free same-day standby is not available at Southwest® kiosks. Free same-day standby will be provided for A-List and A-List Preferred Members traveling prior to the original scheduled departure, between the same city pairs, on the original date of travel, where a seat is available. On flights that do not meet these qualifications, A-List and A-List Preferred Members will receive priority standby and will be required to pay the difference in fare if a seat becomes available.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Don't you run the risk of all flights later in the day being sold-out or oversold? What would you do in that situation?
There are a lot of flights. All of them being oversold is highly unlikely.

Anyway I'm MVPG so I can cancel for free. It's not hard to get from LA to SF. Here's a good flat-bed option: https://www.ridecabin.com/ There are several of these companies and most of them drop off a block from my apartment (saving me a $30-ish lyft ride)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Retro roo II

Originally Posted by TPJ
It is Qantas (Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services).

Retro roo II
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
MVPG is definitely attainable for a leisure traveler. 75K is much harder if you're not getting work to chip in for some miles.
Thanks to no minimum spend required - if you're willing to put in the time to research, and the time in the air, you can achieve 40k miles on AS at a very reasonable price. I've never been super concerned with going the minimum spend route (except on mileage runs) but in 2014 I hit MVPG flying only AS metal and did it at quite a reasonable cost.
I think its a hit or miss.. in order to fly emirates, i end up paying $200 more to get those AS miles and requalify. I travel internationally for leisure and whenever i feel like i need to take an international trip, i always make sure to check for partner airlines first before looking at other airlines. This has helped me a lot in getting MVP easily.. but I struggle to get to MVPG. coz thats almost like 8 transcon RT. thats a lot in a year if u dont travel for work. but it comes down to around 3 RT transcon since im using partner flights for international travel. I mostly travel economy.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It's not too hard. One trip to SIN in SQ Y+ around trip in Y on QF to JFK-SYD-LAX + 3 segments on AS and i'm just over 3K short for MVPG for a little over $2K
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I’ll be just back over the line for MVPG at the end of May on four AS trips, with an assist from some 25% bonuses and one out-of-the-way stopover. It’s not so hard when the first segment of every trip is 2400+ miles....
spamman808 and williwaw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.