Search

Unable to check in after SDC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:51 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Unable to check in after SDC

Anyone else ever had problems checking in after doing a SDC? I keep being told by the app and the website that I have to check in at the counter. I tried SMS support and they said it "caught in the system a little bit" but was fixed, but I still couldn't check in. After "working on it with a specialty desk" they came back and said "there is nothing wrong with your reservation but you will need to check in with the ticket counter".

The mobile app actually has a boarding pass for me, but it has no seat assignment or boarding group, even though the website and SMS agent both show me in 10B/C.

Neil
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:08 pm

It has happened to me before, some weird interaction between upgrade list and SDC system left me listed on both flights. I called and they fixed it, and I could check in online after that. You might try calling again to see if the next person you talk to has a better chance of fixing it.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:36 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sergent
It has happened to me before, some weird interaction between upgrade list and SDC system left me listed on both flights. I called and they fixed it, and I could check in online after that. You might try calling again to see if the next person you talk to has a better chance of fixing it.
Fixed! HUCA does the trick. I told them what you said and they put me on hold for a good 5+ minutes and then said try again. Thank you!
sergent likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
This has been broken for YEARS. AS IT can't seem to figure out how to make SDC work in the app. You can't check in and you aren't properly waitlisted for F on the new flight.

I've given up and just call. Never had a problem.
Mahogany likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The issue is that AS USED to immediately waitlist you for upgrades as soon as you were booked on a reservation. Sometimes this would cause trouble for agents working through a ticket (e.g., say you're changing a ticket inside your upgrade window, they would bo ok you into coach and you'd be upgraded before they had a chance to reissue it).

So AS put in a delay a couple years ago to add you to the waitlists. You'll notice sometimes if you book a ticket on the phone or through a third party, you won't be on the upgrade or PC waitlists for maybe 5-10 minutes.

The trick with SDC in the app is to confirm the change and NOT complete the checkin until you're added to the upgrade list a few minutes later. Last time I was at SEA, I saw an earlier flight I wanted, did the SDC from the rental car center. OCD refreshed the reservation while on the rental shuttle. Then once the waitlist showed, then I checked in with the app while on the shuttle, no problem. I was on the waitlist, and cleared at the gate. No human required.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by channa
The issue is that AS USED to immediately waitlist you for upgrades as soon as you were booked on a reservation. Sometimes this would cause trouble for agents working through a ticket (e.g., say you're changing a ticket inside your upgrade window, they would bo ok you into coach and you'd be upgraded before they had a chance to reissue it).

So AS put in a delay a couple years ago to add you to the waitlists. You'll notice sometimes if you book a ticket on the phone or through a third party, you won't be on the upgrade or PC waitlists for maybe 5-10 minutes.

The trick with SDC in the app is to confirm the change and NOT complete the checkin until you're added to the upgrade list a few minutes later. Last time I was at SEA, I saw an earlier flight I wanted, did the SDC from the rental car center. OCD refreshed the reservation while on the rental shuttle. Then once the waitlist showed, then I checked in with the app while on the shuttle, no problem. I was on the waitlist, and cleared at the gate. No human required.
Would you sugesst calling in to get the agent to do the SDC and also process/add to the upgrade list?
Old May 4, 2019, 10:34 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Would you sugesst calling in to get the agent to do the SDC and also process/add to the upgrade list?
Nah, just do SDC in the app but don't finish the check-in process. Wait until you see yourself show up on the waitlist, then check in as normal.
channa likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
Nah, just do SDC in the app but don't finish the check-in process. Wait until you see yourself show up on the waitlist, then check in as normal.
What are the odds of getting upgraded into F as MVPG along with a companion who is MVP?
Do you suggest the trick is to hopefully do the SDC exactly T-24 when it opens up?
I want to SDC to a later flight. So hopefully MVP's wouldnt yet have a chance to clear the upgrade (since its T-24 for them and the check in opens later since its a later flight). Is my understanding correct?
Old May 4, 2019, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
What are the odds of getting upgraded into F as MVPG along with a companion who is MVP?
Do you suggest the trick is to hopefully do the SDC exactly T-24 when it opens up?
I want to SDC to a later flight. So hopefully MVP's wouldnt yet have a chance to clear the upgrade (since its T-24 for them and the check in opens later since its a later flight). Is my understanding correct?
If you're on the same record, your status would prevail. MVPG is allowed a companion.

btw, MVP upgrade window is T-48. Only way you beat them is if AS holds back F space and doesn't convert it to U.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're on the same record, your status would prevail. MVPG is allowed a companion.

btw, MVP upgrade window is T-48. Only way you beat them is if AS holds back F space and doesn't convert it to U.
No.

MVPs are added to the queue at T-48. You will be behind them in the queue (because you will be added when you change)
Old May 5, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No.

MVPs are added to the queue at T-48. You will be behind them in the queue (because you will be added when you change)
huh? Won't MVPG always jump ahead of MVP on the upgrade waitlist? (in this scenario, no U, all pax waitlisted for possible gate upgrades)
Old May 5, 2019, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
huh? Won't MVPG always jump ahead of MVP on the upgrade waitlist? (in this scenario, no U, all pax waitlisted for possible gate upgrades)
Not according to the information that @missydarlin posted a while ago.

Once someone is in the queue, if you are added to the same queue, you are behind them. You don't jump ahead of them.

There are 2 queues: 75k and MVP/MVPG.

Anyone who buys an instant upgrade fare (or changes an instant-upgrade-fare ticket to a flight) is added to the queue which matches their status immediately.

At T-5, the rest of the 75ks are sorted by fare class, with ties broken by purchase time, and added to the 75k queue.

At T-3, the rest of the MVPGs are sorted by fare class, with ties broken by purchase time, and added to the MVPG/MVP queue

At T-2, the rest of the MVPs are sorted by fare class, with ties broken by purchase time, and added to the MVPG/MVP queue

Anyone who buys a ticket, it changes to a flight, while their upgrade window is open is instantly added to the correct queue for their status.

Any time U space is open, people are upgraded from the 75k queue. If the 75k queue is empty, or everyone on it cannot be upgraded because their PNR has more people than the number of U spots, people are upgraded from the MVP/MVPG queue.

The only "sorting by status" that happens between MVPGs and MVPs is due to the fact that the MVPG window opens a day earlier. But if the MVPG is not added at that time and is instead added after the MVPs have already been added, the MVPG will be behind the MVPs.

This does not happen to 75k's because they have their own queue. However, since MVPGs and MVPs share a queue, so this is a problem for MVPGs who change to a flight after the MVP window is open.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Not according to the information that @missydarlin posted a while ago.

Once someone is in the queue, if you are added to the same queue, you are behind them. You don't jump ahead of them.

There are 2 queues: 75k and MVP/MVPG.

Anyone who buys an instant upgrade fare (or changes an instant-upgrade-fare ticket to a flight) is added to the queue which matches their status immediately.

At T-5, the rest of the 75ks are sorted by fare class, with ties broken by purchase time, and added to the 75k queue.

At T-3, the rest of the MVPGs are sorted by fare class, with ties broken by purchase time, and added to the MVPG/MVP queue

At T-2, the rest of the MVPs are sorted by fare class, with ties broken by purchase time, and added to the MVPG/MVP queue

Anyone who buys a ticket, it changes to a flight, while their upgrade window is open is instantly added to the correct queue for their status.

Any time U space is open, people are upgraded from the 75k queue. If the 75k queue is empty, or everyone on it cannot be upgraded because their PNR has more people than the number of U spots, people are upgraded from the MVP/MVPG queue.

The only "sorting by status" that happens between MVPGs and MVPs is due to the fact that the MVPG window opens a day earlier. But if the MVPG is not added at that time and is instead added after the MVPs have already been added, the MVPG will be behind the MVPs.

This does not happen to 75k's because they have their own queue. However, since MVPGs and MVPs share a queue, so this is a problem for MVPGs who change to a flight after the MVP window is open.
So looks like Alaska did it this way so that MVPG can't get the best of both.. Meaning upgraded and SDC always. It might happen sometimes but most times it won't.

So I should have really bought the flight I wanted even if it meant spending an extra $200?

Looks like I'll lose F just coz I made a dumb choice.

But is there a smart way to go about this?
Like SDC into a flight where I see no or less people on the F waitlists? But where could I see such info?

Since I bought a ticket almost 3 months before departure, I'm sure I bought a lower fare ticket. So that's gonna hurt as well?
Old May 5, 2019, 7:02 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

So I should have really bought the flight I wanted even if it meant spending an extra $200?
Yes, if upgrade position is worth $200 to you.

Since I bought a ticket almost 3 months before departure, I'm sure I bought a lower fare ticket. So that's gonna hurt as well?
No, there is no fare difference charged when making a SDC.

Neil
Old May 5, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missamo80
No, there is no fare difference charged when making a SDC.
I think he means, it will hurt re: upgrade position.

It will only make a difference if you don't SDC. If you do then you will be joining the list well after your window opens so it won't matter.

Actually when you SDC you get "upgraded" to Y but that doesn't matter since your upgrade window is already open and they block you from earning the extra CoS bonus. I think they just do that so they can move you to any flight with economy space (since there will always be Y)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.