Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Only Person on Upgrade List - Won’t Process but Trying to Sell (Monetizing Upgrades)

Only Person on Upgrade List - Won’t Process but Trying to Sell (Monetizing Upgrades)

Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by JohnPP
I (MVPG) have had three first class upgrades this year offered to me after everyone had boarded and the doors were closed. Initially I wondered if it was due to a FC no show but believe it’s related to this thread where efforts are being made to sell available FC seats up till the last minute. I have been MVPG for 5 years with many upgrades during that time of course and this is the first year this has happened. I witnessed the same thing happen on two flights last week with other passengers. On the last flight they brought 3 people up after everyone was seated and doors closed, which also confirmed to me this is part of a overall strategy to earn revenue on available FC seats prior to offering upgrades.

While any upgrade is appreciated it’s Irritating buying last minute food at the airport prior to departure and then being offered a FC meal, plus getting up from a seat you have settled into, disturbing fellow passengers as you get up, and dragging your bags down from above and hoping there is room upfront is unnecessary. As this pattern is emerging I fail to see why they can’t assign these seats at boarding.
My husband and I declined the upgrades on our last flight for this reason. We were perfectly content to sit in row 6 (which is frankly better than F on the ERJ) and eat our pre-purchased food.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
...Nothing in the program rules or COC which says otherwise, so nothing to announce. This would leave AS as the outrider.
AS does state it as a benefit:

Receive unlimited First Class upgrades for yourself and a companion on Alaska Airlines.
With the economy on screech, there is a growing market for business travelers who are not permitted to purchase F, willing to pay to upgrade after their ticket is issued. It's hard to argue against this as it asking a lot for a carrier to give away for free that which it can sell for cold hard cash.
Understood. Given that, I'd still like to know in advance how it actually works out in practice versus what's implied IMHO by "unlimited".

Last edited by Fredd; Apr 30, 2019 at 10:58 am Reason: addition
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Fredd
AS does state it as a benefit:

Understood. Given that, I'd still like to know in advance how it actually works out in practice versus what's implied IMHO by "unlimited".
Nothing in that remotely suggests that AS won't sell UG's. Roughly same benefit for UA,DL, and AA.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
I completely understand that AS wants/should attempt to monetize the upgrade for its business. That being said the customer experience is a factor when calculating the value of such a maneuver.

Process’ that are standardized and transparent can be better received by elites who are probably sufficiently business savvy and can understand that an individual without status willing to pay a premium for an upgrade is understandable. What I’ve seen and heard is that it can appear random and thus the perception that this could be “unfair” and at risk for GA potentially doing something shady for friends or colleagues.

When I buy a seat in the back I fully expect to sit in that seat and appreciative for all the upgrades that AS has provided me and my family. I don’t drink more than two drinks on any given flight so the upgrade when sitting on the plane can be a bit annoying as I’m already probably situated , I’m going to get my 2 drinks regardless as a comp and the cheese platter will cost me in FC regardless. The meals are not cycled frequently enough for me to care anymore. The Tumeric oregano chicken for the 16th time this year or the risotto alternative for also the 16th time is inconsequential at this point. However, not feeling like a heel for using the FC bathroom is a tangible benefit on the curbside last second upgrade.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Nothing in that remotely suggests that AS won't sell UG's. Roughly same benefit for UA,DL, and AA.
That's correct. "Unlimited" can mean whatever AS wants it to mean. My "Lifetime" UA scars still flare up whenever I see that word.

The fact remains that AS customers on this thread are asking if there are changes to AS UG practices. We will find out eventually if there are.

IMHO AS would be better served by letting customers know up front. YMMV. As well, if AS is selling last-minute UGs, I'd like to be in on the offer.

YMMV.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I asked on Twitter about this and got this response:

To answer your question, Yes. Our agents should be processing the comp upgrades before they are offered for purchase. We'd like any examples you might have so we can share with our appropriate stations. Please send a private message using the link below.
Neil
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
In case anybody does not know, what happened at UA some years ago was the stealth implementation of what became famously known as TODs, defined in the FT Glossary as “Tens of dollars (used by UA flyers to refer to upgrades sold more cheaply to those without status than available to those with status)”.

In addition, it was especially galling to us UA elites with domestic and international upgrade instruments we had earned through flying to watch others buy up at the last minute, leaving us in the back.

If AS is making a change, I really hope they announce it up front. UA destroyed a lot of trust with this and other changes, and I'd hate to see AS make the same mistake.
That lovely Continental influence... one of the big reasons I left UA and came to AS. Agree with you, would hate to see AS make the same mistake.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Xrayman
75K and option came up for purchase of first class upgrade for $149. I skipped and continued the standard check in process. I checked and saw 6 FC seats still open.
Isnt this what happens when U opens inside the OLCI window? If you had selected the paid upgrade and proceeded to checkout, I wonder if it will charge you now or it become $0 like PC "upgrade" selection sometimes does within the window.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Isnt this what happens when U opens inside the OLCI window? If you had selected the paid upgrade and proceeded to checkout, I wonder if it will charge you now or it become $0 like PC "upgrade" selection sometimes does within the window.

interesting thought. If this ever comes up again I may try that exercise.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
Originally Posted by Xrayman

interesting thought. If this ever comes up again I may try that exercise.
Just one data point, but I did this last fall on a DCA>PDX flight. Was charged $200+. Asked for a refund afterward noting that I was MVPG+ and that I had been charged for the upgrade at OLCI. Initially, they were going to refuse the refund and specifically told me that I had to "wait for the auto-upgrade". In the end, they did refund the charge, but I wouldn't take it as a given.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
My husband and I were #1 and #2 on the upgrade list, from SEA to CUN on March 4. When we checked in, the customer service agent confirmed there were 5 open seats in first class and we would be upgraded at the gate. When we arrived at the gate (we didn't go directly to the gate, probably a mistake), I asked the gate agent when they would process the upgrades, she said they sold all of them. I wrote customer service regarding another issue during the flight and why we didn't get upgraded. He responded to the flight issue and apologized that the customer service agent told us we would get upgraded. I wrote back and asked again why we were skipped on the upgrade list and the seats sold to others. He said sorry, he couldn't see the flight details and to call Alaska Airlines customer service next time this happens.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by rtwgal
My husband and I were #1 and #2 on the upgrade list, from SEA to CUN on March 4. When we checked in, the customer service agent confirmed there were 5 open seats in first class and we would be upgraded at the gate. When we arrived at the gate (we didn't go directly to the gate, probably a mistake), I asked the gate agent when they would process the upgrades, she said they sold all of them. I wrote customer service regarding another issue during the flight and why we didn't get upgraded. He responded to the flight issue and apologized that the customer service agent told us we would get upgraded. I wrote back and asked again why we were skipped on the upgrade list and the seats sold to others. He said sorry, he couldn't see the flight details and to call Alaska Airlines customer service next time this happens.
So sorry this happened to you, rtwgal. Unfortunately it has been happening for years. I’ve had the exact same situation (written up somewhere in the upgrade thread) where the checkin agent said I would get the upgrade since I was #1 and then when I got to the gate, they said all upgrades had been already assigned. What worked for me was politely but firmly explaining the upgrade processor breaks sometimes and I request that they look at those who were given the seats ahead of me (key being not assigning blame to the GA and making clear you’re confident there was a system error). It then took 5 min of typing by the senior GA. They eventually found I was correct and moved someone out of F to give me the seat I should have received.

In sum, if you arrive at the airport as #1 on the list and there are still open seats at T-60 when the GA takes control, you have to go to the gate and make sure they follow the rules to ensure you get the F upgrade. Once they start boarding, it’s too late. This is going to keep happening since Alaska has not prioritized a fix and has known about the problem for years.

Last edited by jjmadison; May 2, 2019 at 9:42 am
Old May 2, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PDX4MSU
Just one data point, but I did this last fall on a DCA>PDX flight. Was charged $200+. Asked for a refund afterward noting that I was MVPG+ and that I had been charged for the upgrade at OLCI. Initially, they were going to refuse the refund and specifically told me that I had to "wait for the auto-upgrade". In the end, they did refund the charge, but I wouldn't take it as a given.
Which is interesting, as I've been specifically told by them before that if it's trying to charge me, to go ahead and purchase and they will refund it. That it's a systems glitch, etc.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
sounds more like a “feature” than a “glitch” or bug
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jjmadison
In sum, if you arrive at the airport as #1 on the list and there are still open seats at T-60 when the GA takes control, you have to go to the gate and make sure they follow the rules to ensure you get the F upgrade. Once they start boarding, it’s too late. This is going to keep happening since Alaska has not prioritized a fix and has known about the problem for years.
Not always true, as people can still check-in at T-60 and be ahead of you in the list. Here are the check-in cutoff times:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...boarding-times

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.