Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Only Person on Upgrade List - Won’t Process but Trying to Sell (Monetizing Upgrades)

Only Person on Upgrade List - Won’t Process but Trying to Sell (Monetizing Upgrades)

Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Baze
SEA-SJC 3:35 pm flight on 4/20. ERJ175. I am only person on the upgrade list. Is 1.5 hours to departure. Won’t process my upgrade but are trying to sell the empty 6 F seats for $49 + tax. What is it with SkyWest flights out of SEA. They insist procedure is to sell seats before giving upgrades.
Not disputing that this happened, just want to clarify:
Was U open at 1.5 hours to departure?
Who and where were they trying to sell the upgrades?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by damieniz1
are they selling upgrades only at counter or online as well? Recently, I've been noticing my upgrades not clearing until 10 mins before flight.
I've wondered this as well. It used to be that I'd clear at T-2, but now I seem to only clear as boarding starts on many of my flights.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
1st class upgrades

Did Alaska change upgrade policy? Current MVP Gold, but 1st class upgrade is not processing 24 hours prior to flight. I made certain seats still for sale.

Just boarded a flight ((Sea-SNA) and saw gate agent sell 2 first class upgrades while I lingered on the waitlist.

Is this typical? I usually get upgrades about 80%, but noticed a decline lately or very last minute upgrade.

Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by DamoTime
Did Alaska change upgrade policy? Current MVP Gold, but 1st class upgrade is not processing 24 hours prior to flight. I made certain seats still for sale.

Just boarded a flight ((Sea-SNA) and saw gate agent sell 2 first class upgrades while I lingered on the waitlist.

Is this typical? I usually get upgrades about 80%, but noticed a decline lately or very last minute upgrade.

Thanks
Others have reported similar lately.

Consensus is to write in and report the issue.
jjmadison and icelandman2 like this.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 30, 2019 at 4:27 pm Reason: Remove circular link after merge.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
The upgrades clearing much closer to boarding is getting to be the norm. Them selling upgrades while anyone is on the waitlist is not the way it is supposed to work. You should send a note to customer service.
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS
DamoTime Welcome to Flyertalk.
As has been mentioned, this has been a trend that has been recently reported.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Seems to be the new norm. On my flight this week, there were 5 open F seats right up until an hour prior to departure. I moved to an open row in the unlikely hope that the seat beside me would stay empty. F went out full and all of them were paid upgrades. I know, because they were all talking about it. The guy (no status) who ended up beside me paid for his upgrade at the gate. And this was a HNL flight with a long waitlist for upgrades on the app. Same with my most recent flight but with only 2 open seats. The girl beside me paid for an upgrade at the gate.

I always confirm into F now via U space in advance as it seems there is little to no chance of a comp upgrade anymore because of this practice of selling upgrades before clearing the waitlist, at least on the routes I fly.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Sounds like the best course of action is to buy the upgrade and to bill Alaska for it? Since they seem to be oblivious to the issue when you ask reservations or customer service about it.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I haven't seen so few upgrades since I was matched to MVP from Air Tran's A Plus Elite status back in 2008. I'm now well over the notion of getting upgraded, and I've been on some fairly expensive tickets that would have allowed for instant upgrade when U space opened. I have (indirectly) access to loads and I'm not even clearing on flights that had only 2 or 3 seats booked into F, with no U seats opening up. I'm even flying midweek and on offpeak days and NOT getting upgraded.

And now add in that Alaska is tinkering with selling our Gold status for a day, and my loyalty is pretty much gone. I'm only still flying Alaska for the free change waiver. Once that's gone, then I'm gone.
Buster and missamo80 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
I came across this for the first time ever today while checking in on phone app for midcon flight out of seattle tomorrow.

75K and option came up for purchase of first class upgrade for $149. I skipped and continued the standard check in process. I checked and saw 6 FC seats still open.

Anyone else come accross this on the phone app?? I’ve heard of this option on this board when others describe checking in on main website.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I’ve seen this on my recent flights too. Super lame. 👎🏻
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
FB person claims its not supposed to be happening

Solicitations should only be offered if there are still seats available after the upgrade list has been cleared. If this happens to you in the future, please let us know so we can get this resolved. -
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:15 am

I (MVPG) have had three first class upgrades this year offered to me after everyone had boarded and the doors were closed. Initially I wondered if it was due to a FC no show but believe it’s related to this thread where efforts are being made to sell available FC seats up till the last minute. I have been MVPG for 5 years with many upgrades during that time of course and this is the first year this has happened. I witnessed the same thing happen on two flights last week with other passengers. On the last flight they brought 3 people up after everyone was seated and doors closed, which also confirmed to me this is part of a overall strategy to earn revenue on available FC seats prior to offering upgrades.

While any upgrade is appreciated it’s Irritating buying last minute food at the airport prior to departure and then being offered a FC meal, plus getting up from a seat you have settled into, disturbing fellow passengers as you get up, and dragging your bags down from above and hoping there is room upfront is unnecessary. As this pattern is emerging I fail to see why they can’t assign these seats at boarding.
jjmadison and akdancer like this.

Last edited by JohnPP; Apr 30, 2019 at 7:28 am
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
In case anybody does not know, what happened at UA some years ago was the stealth implementation of what became famously known as TODs, defined in the FT Glossary as “Tens of dollars (used by UA flyers to refer to upgrades sold more cheaply to those without status than available to those with status)”.

In addition, it was especially galling to us UA elites with domestic and international upgrade instruments we had earned through flying to watch others buy up at the last minute, leaving us in the back.

If AS is making a change, I really hope they announce it up front. UA destroyed a lot of trust with this and other changes, and I'd hate to see AS make the same mistake.

Last edited by Fredd; Apr 30, 2019 at 9:22 am
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not just UA, but DL and there are recent reports that AA does this as well. Nothing in the program rules or COC which says otherwise, so nothing to announce. This would leave AS as the outrider.

With the economy on screech, there is a growing market for business travelers who are not permitted to purchase F, willing to pay to upgrade after their ticket is issued. It's hard to argue against this as it asking a lot for a carrier to give away for free that which it can sell for cold hard cash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.