Wiki Posts
Search

737 MAX Availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
737 MAX Availability

International review committee to oversee changes to 737 MAX announced this week and will take 90 days to review changes. So that pushes any return to service out into mid-summer.
https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.ch...ate-for-review
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by williwaw
International review committee to oversee changes to 737 MAX announced this week and will take 90 days to review changes. So that pushes any return to service out into mid-summer.
https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.ch...ate-for-review
I have to wonder if AS is going to start being interested in more A321s...
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Someone else here noted wisely that it puts them in a great negotiation position.
jinglish likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by williwaw
Someone else here noted wisely that it puts them in a great negotiation position.
Agreed, for both A321 and 737Max.
I also believe this is why AS has never publicly committed to A321 despite how some people might like them.... It's all about politics and part of negotiation tactics.

Jiburi
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Only 3 MAX scheduled for delivery this year, starting in late Q3. Should have no effect on operations for AS. The only effect you might see is higher fares with AS on routes that other airlines had to pull scheduled MAX aircraft from. All from today's conference call.
JacksonFlyer and williwaw like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Only 3 MAX scheduled for delivery this year, starting in late Q3. Should have no effect on operations for AS. The only effect you might see is higher fares with AS on routes that other airlines had to pull scheduled MAX aircraft from. All from today's conference call.
That is not correct. At this moment the first AS Max is scheduled for revenue flight on 7/15 (Flight 312), obviously that probably wont happen at this point.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
That is not correct. At this moment the first AS Max is scheduled for revenue flight on 7/15 (Flight 312), obviously that probably wont happen at this point.
Still, it should have no effect on operations for AS.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:44 am

an AS pilot friend of mine said they’ve been having reliability problems with the a321neo engines so I doubt they’re rushing to place more orders. Also, the FAA could lift their ban before the 90 day review is complete.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Are the MAXes incremental additions to the fleet, or are they retiring other planes one for one as the MAXes come in?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Are the MAXes incremental additions to the fleet, or are they retiring other planes one for one as the MAXes come in?
The original order was placed in 2014, well before any public talk of a merger. I'm not sure what the original plan was, but I am under the impression that they will be used to replace A320s as leases expire.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no way in hell I would fly in a Max-8, regardless of what the FAA claims is safe. Maybe some time in 2021 or 2022 if they haven't had any more crashes.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way (I've seen some other people say the same thing on the AA forum, where it's a much bigger problem service they have so many of them). What's AS's policy on reaccomodating people in case of an equipment swap that they are not happy with? UA is generous on this, AA isn't for domestic flights.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There is no way in hell I would fly in a Max-8, regardless of what the FAA claims is safe. Maybe some time in 2021 or 2022 if they haven't had any more crashes.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way (I've seen some other people say the same thing on the AA forum, where it's a much bigger problem service they have so many of them). What's AS's policy on reaccomodating people in case of an equipment swap that they are not happy with? UA is generous on this, AA isn't for domestic flights.
You're in luck, ASA isn't flying the MAX 8! After the software fix is deployed, the airlines' generosity about waiving fees for equipment swap wont last long. Once it's certified, and the ban is lifted, the airlines will be eager to redeploy the fleet.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

I also think it's worth independently educating yourself on what the real problem was, a chain of events, and understanding what the proposed fix is. It's clear the past events wont happen again with the new fix. Blindly listening to the media, who are in the business of boosting readership and social media clicks have a vested interest in outrageous headlines to get your attention, rather than presenting facts. Airplanes are the most complex machines human kind has ever made. The industry learns from accidents and moves forward making it safer. Making rational and fact based decisions rather than emotion based decisions about what plane you get on is the productive approach. Instead of saying you wont get on a MAX for several years which is really lacking in facts to support your anxiety once the fix is certified, you could suggest ways the airline could instill confidence in the fleet for a weary flyer such as yourself.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Initially fleet growth. Several years down the road I'm sure we'll start to see the oldest -800s and -900s retired. But there is no immediate plan to retire an airplane with each MAX delivery. If anything, the max introduction will help offset some of the Airbus' coming off lease soon, as was suggested by a previous post.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Copa also discovered that you can't intermingle parts like they thought... this on the notion that both the Lion Air & Ethiopian planes both came out of maintenance prior to their unfortunate endings.

there's a reason that no US, Canadian, or Panamanian carriers put any of these in the in the ground.... so if you won't fly Max, that's your choice. I have and I'll gladly get on one again.
EmailKid likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.