Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Oakland / Seattle option - but not on AS

New Oakland / Seattle option - but not on AS

Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jrl767

“airports” writ large (i.e., including FBOs) or just the airline terminals?
I'd expect it would be terminals, going through the main airport roadway, where they'd have to pay the per trip fee.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
​​​​​​really excited about this, just flew Jsx oak-bur and made it door to door Walnut Creek to West Hollywood in 2 hours, goodbye SeaTac
Traveling Berkeley to West Hollywood in a few days. Did you Uber / Lyft, or other to WeHo, and how much was your LA-area ground fare? Most importantly, how many rounds of juice did the FA manage to provide?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
I’m not sure if they’re using their own hangar or an FBO at BFI, but you might be able to make arrangements with Signature/Clay Lacy/Kenmore to have a rental car ready on arrival.

Many times, the FBO will bring your rental car right out to your plane while parking if you arrive in your own plane. Not sure how JetSuiteX will be handled by the current infrastructure though.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Traveling Berkeley to West Hollywood in a few days. Did you Uber / Lyft, or other to WeHo, and how much was your LA-area ground fare? Most importantly, how many rounds of juice did the FA manage to provide?
Friend picked me up, but usually about $20-$25 when I go from BUR to DTLA, so guessing it would have been $30-$35.

One round of drinks, but there was time for two if you asked. FA took orders on the ground, and half the plane wanted water so she served them superquick with water bottles.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
​​​​​​really excited about this, just flew Jsx oak-bur and made it door to door Walnut Creek to West Hollywood in 2 hours, goodbye SeaTac
My friend lives in Walnut Creek and doesn't fly much (so doesn't care about status or miles). I'm suggesting this to him, as he goes to LA occasionally.

Is there any reason you chose to fly out of OAK? Isn't Concord closer to Walnut Creek? Is OAK a better choice for some reason?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

CCR would be my first choice even at a slightly higher price, all other things being equal. I think CCR has free parking too. OAK only has expensive valet.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Concord adjoins Walnut Creek. Can't get much closer. Both of them are within 15 mins of me.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Enterprise FBO program: https://www.enterprise.com/en/corpor...customers.html

I haven't flown much shorthop this year but was eyeballing JetSuiteX for a LAS trip. For those of us in SF, the bay bridge is highly unpredictable so the buffer to get there is probably the same as the buffer to get through Clear/TSA Pre at SFO. But I do know some folks for whom JetSuiteX has become their preferred "airline" for these routes. Will likely hurt Southwest more than Alaska.

It's an interesting trend, there's a high end version of this called Aura in planning stage: https://www.zedaerospace.com/. In this new dynamic pricing reward world I can see these RJ plays as being pretty attractive...
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
The OAK-BFI route looks attractive to me. I might give it a try later this year. How many pax do their E135s hold?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BW Flyer
The OAK-BFI route looks attractive to me. I might give it a try later this year. How many pax do their E135s hold?
Only 30 with 36 inch pitch.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
My friend lives in Walnut Creek and doesn't fly much (so doesn't care about status or miles). I'm suggesting this to him, as he goes to LA occasionally.

Is there any reason you chose to fly out of OAK? Isn't Concord closer to Walnut Creek? Is OAK a better choice for some reason?
Oakland is very convenient to Walnut Creek but CCR is a dream come true. CCR is less than 15 minutes from anywhere in Walnut Creek.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:50 pm

The press about this interesting routing proclaims that OAK provides access to the "tech community" in the Bay Area. Well, yes, I suppose there's some startups in Emeryville and nearby, but it's fair to say that 99% of the tech community is on the other side of the Bay!

Be interesting if JetSuteX offers service to PAO (Palo Alto), which would be much more relevant for the "tech community."

And then, of course, there's NUQ (Moffett Field) -- that would be nifty to chat up Serge and Larry while waiting for flights... (one can dream).

I agree with problems getting to/from Boeing Field unless you have a chauffeur or are using Uber. There is or used to be a bus that ran from downtown to SEA, and made a stop at BFI, but it's been years since I took that bus route as a college student.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
The press about this interesting routing proclaims that OAK provides access to the "tech community" in the Bay Area. Well, yes, I suppose there's some startups in Emeryville and nearby, but it's fair to say that 99% of the tech community is on the other side of the Bay!
The tech companies may be in SF, but the community (ie, the people) are all over the bay. I work in downtown SF and more people at my work live in the East Bay than SF. Usually people leave when they have kids and find out that preschool is more than rent (and rent ain't cheap)

Also, from SF, driving time to OAK and SFO are within 5 min of each other so it really doesn't matter for people who live in the city. It's not like SFO is in SF. SFO is slightly more convenient by public transit. I live in SF and honestly I don't care which airport I fly out of. If I lived in San Bruno it might be a different story.

SJC, on the other hand, is a gigantic hassle, and I avoid flying out of there. Lyft from SF to SJC can easily cost more than your flight (if it's a short flight)
jjmadison likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

Only 30 with 36 inch pitch.
Thanks, these numbers are not bad at all! How could they make money if their ticket price is close to or only slightly above what majors charges on larger planes with more pax per flight?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BW Flyer

Thanks, these numbers are not bad at all! How could they make money if their ticket price is close to or only slightly above what majors charges on larger planes with more pax per flight?

They are a premium carrier and get decent fares for most routes-often higher than the majors. There is only one flight attendant, using the private terminal is cheaper, turn times are much faster as well. They can arrive get everybody their luggage and board the next flight in just a few minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.