Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

LAX AS Lounge Temporary Closure (22-26 April, 2019)

Old Apr 22, 19, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K many times over, DL Plat, former UA Plat, about-to-be ex-AA Plat

Saw this at LAX this morning:

No proactive notification from Alaska.

Good lord, Alaska get your act together. You have a list of Lounge members, you have a list of people flying to/through/from LAX. Both those lists might contain the Mileage Plan number. Cross reference those lists and send out a relevant notification.

I know Alaska's bulk mailers works because I get lots of sale notifications.

Compare with notifications I get from Delta when I'm flying to/through/from an airport with a service outage (the tram at DTW, the high traffic cluster at SEA, the construction at LAX, labor at AMS & CDG).

C'mon Alaska, you can do better.
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Look at the bright side, now everyone will get the chance to see what it's like to be a PP member for a few days
NoLaGent, Flight_Medic, dw and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
had a choice of booking SEA-SAN-BWI or SEA-LAX-BWI ... of course the U space for Mrs767, my P fare being ~$10 less, and a SEA departure ~2 hours later also helped the calculus for going via SAN
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:58 pm

I received a pro-active notice of the closure. The notice was sent to my email prior to my travel in/out of LAX. I made the reservation many weeks ago. I don't know what else they reasonably could have done for me except include a Starbucks and Rock&Brews gift card.

By the way, not as good as a direct email, I did notice that the website with lounge hours had been updated to show the planned closure.
missamo80 and AS Flyer like this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 7:23 pm

Not asking this in an insulting way - what difference would it have made? How would you have planned anything differently?
Old Apr 22, 19, 11:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
I was emailed in advance of the closure and didn’t even have a flight during that window.
Old Apr 27, 19, 11:16 am

Re-opened.
The floor is new and clean.
Plenty of tables that are shared standing height.

The restroom doors open more directly into the lounge area than before. That area is one long sofa being used by sleepers and others.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 27, 19, 11:38 am

And the standing tables.
Attached Images  
steve64 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 19, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS-MVPG75K / HHonors-Diamond / Hyatt - Exploroist
Thanks for the photos.
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that those "standing tables" are to have bar stools. Perhaps they're on order or there's more overnight work to be done before bringing out all the furniture.
From these photos, it looks as if there's too many "hard" surfaces and not enough "soft". America West did that with the remodeled AAdmiral's Clubs. It looks nice when you 1st walk in, but all of the sounds bounce off the hard surfaces, making the lounge very noisy.

You forgot to "blob out" one face and I actually recognize him ... it's Chester
Old Apr 27, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I agree. so far, looks very uninviting. Perhaps that was the goal.
If you are not too comfortable, you will edit your stay to just taking care of "the basics".
Legend717 and rustykettel like this.
Old Apr 27, 19, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, IHG Platinum
They should have put in the long table w/stools like they have along the window @pdx. That's one of the best parts of that lounge.
Old Apr 29, 19, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
This looks like a college dorm lounge to me. Not at all what I'd expect for a first class major airport lounge. Hopefully the bar area is more comfortable.
Old Apr 29, 19, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by jjmadison View Post
This looks like a college dorm lounge to me. Not at all what I'd expect for a first class major airport lounge. Hopefully the bar area is more comfortable.
Looks better than the drab design from before.
Old Apr 30, 19, 10:45 am

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA "fools Gold" (aka PresPlus).
Looks like they should be able to fit more people in that small space. Wonder why they can't expand the space? Would be nice to take over the AC lounge next door.
Old Apr 30, 19, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
Looks like they should be able to fit more people in that small space. Wonder why they can't expand the space? Would be nice to take over the AC lounge next door.
They have to find a place for the AC lounge first. Maybe in the new mid field concourse. Also the are getting a lease extension from LAWA, see link below, that includes language to rebuilt at least part of the terminal. I would guess they will rebuild the original satelite to get rid of the floor level changes.

https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=4&event_id=1317&meta_id=375 00

Last edited by SNAnghbr; Apr 30, 19 at 12:04 pm Reason: Spelling

Search this Thread