Search

DOT On-Time Performance Report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
DOT On-Time Performance Report

From Dow Jones:

Alaska Air had worst on-time performance in February, Hawaiian had the best--DOT

Alaska Air Group Inc. (ALK) had the worst one-time performance in February among reporting marketing carriers, while Hawaiian Holdings Inc. (HA) had the best, according to the Department of Transportation's "Air Travel Consumer Report" (ATCR). The average on-time arrival rate for the month was 73.8%, while Alaska Air came in at 66.9%, and JetBlue Airways Group Corp. (JBLU) was second worst at 70.0%. Hawaiian came in at 81.7% and Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) came in second at 77.9%. Alaska also had the highest flight cancellation rate at 5.8%, well above the average rate of 3.1%, and at least the 3 longest tarmac delays for domestic flights, the ATCR said. Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) had the second-highest cancellation rate at 4.6%, while Hawaiian had the lowest cancellation rate at 0.6% and Frontier Airlines was second lowest at 1.2%. Alaska Air's stock has edged up 1.4% year to date through Thursday, while Hawaiian shares have rallied 15.3%, the NYSE Arca Airline Index has gained 14.3% and the S&P 500 has climbed 15.9%.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:34 am

Do the planned diversions to SJC/OAK count as on time for these purposes? Or as a cancellation, or something else? If they count as on times, the numbers for AS could be a lot worse.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. Southwest and AA are cancelling flights like crazy because of the 737 Max fiasco and AS (who has none of these planes) still managed a higher cancellation rate? That is impressive. AA has something like 7% of its fleet grounded.

Edit: whoops, never mind, I just realized that this data is for Feb, not march.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Wow. Southwest and AA are cancelling flights like crazy because of the 737 Max fiasco and AS (who has none of these planes) still managed a higher cancellation rate? That is impressive. AA has something like 7% of its fleet grounded.
I think this was in February before the MAX was grounded by the FAA.....but now I see you caught that.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
It’s probably because of the snowstorm in PNW in Feb. No need to panic
jinglish, _fx, icelandman2 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
I think this was in February before the MAX was grounded by the FAA.....but now I see you caught that.
Does it really take DOT 7 weeks to compile these stats? That seems long even by government standards.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Do the planned diversions to SJC/OAK count as on time for these purposes? Or as a cancellation, or something else? If they count as on times, the numbers for AS could be a lot worse.
On-time means the flight arrived at its scheduled destination no more than 14 minutes behind schedule. So, delays, unplanned diversions, planned diversions, cancellations etc. are all counted as "not on-time." If you look at AS arrivals into SFO for February, 1.4% show as diverted, whereas zero flights into SJC were diverted. SFO and SEA both had a lot of bad weather (by local standards) during February. Not an excuse, but just an observation.

While February was bad, it should be mentioned that Alaska's on-time performance for all of 2018 was 82.7%, which put them squarely in second place among major carriers (Delta was first). This considers mainline+regional flights.
ucdtim17 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
Hello people. This was February and SNOW PALOOZA.

Alaska has like 40% of their flights originating in Seattle and nearly all of them hit Seattle. No doubt they’d suffer the most of any domestic airline.

Keep in mind - if you happened to be traveling from SEA during this time, Alaska was the only one actually operating.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The MAX grounding at American takes out of service 24 of 963 active mainline aircraft. That's not including the 595 aircraft flown as American Eagle by wholly-owned Envoy or contract carriers.

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/American-Airlines
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The MAX grounding at American takes out of service 24 of 963 active mainline aircraft. That's not including the 595 aircraft flown as American Eagle by wholly-owned Envoy or contract carriers.

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/American-Airlines
I didn't realize that these stats only covered mainline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.