Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How Are the Paine Field (PAE) Flights? Will Mainline AS Ever Fly There?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Are the Paine Field (PAE) Flights? Will Mainline AS Ever Fly There?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by bo94114
Howdy, Any feedback on PHX-PAE? Fare is much cheaper to PAE than SEA over Labor Day. Not sure about flying an RJ that long!
IMO the E175 is better than any 737 or Airbus in the fleet. No middle seats, 18"+ wide economy seats, huge windows I don't have to try and be 5'2" tall to look out... I'd fly it up to it's max range because it doesn't feel like being on a regional jet (like all those crappy CRJs).
MagicCarpetRider and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Howdy, Any feedback on PHX-PAE? Fare is much cheaper to PAE than SEA over Labor Day. Not sure about flying an RJ that long!
I take it you've never flown on the E175. Short of a lie-flat, it's as good as it gets. Plus PAE>>>SEA. Grab the lower fare and thank us later.
sdsearch and MagicCarpetRider like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by CalanMan
By this logic, shouldn't there be a PAE-ANC flight?

I understand the relationship between hubs, customer bases, and O&D demand, but I'm just sayin'...
I’d say this is a only matter of time, at least seasonally. SEA is far and away the biggest local market from ANC, and conversely ANC is, I believe, the 4th largest local market from SEA.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:15 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Probably not unless there is an E75 base in ANC. The Q400s didn’t work so AS probably doesn’t want to repeat a mistake; they would need to be able to operate in Alaska.
Why would they need an E75 base to send a E75 up there on PAE-ANC once a day? Worst case scenario if the plane goes mx in ANC, rebook everyone on one of the 15 to 20 daily ANC-SEA flights.

DL has scheduled the E75 in to FAI off and on for a few years now, so there’s some precedent for the type operating scheduled flights in Alaska, especially the real part of Alaska.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Probably not unless there is an E75 base in ANC. The Q400s didn’t work so AS probably doesn’t want to repeat a mistake; they would need to be able to operate in Alaska.
QK, WR and plenty of smaller Canadian airlines don't seem to have any trouble operating Q400s (and 100s-300s) out of YZF and plenty of other cold Canadian stations.

It's not a problem with the aircraft, it's an expectation thing with the passengers; and a facilities issue. Because of the overhead bin space, and the air-side bag check "A La Cart", you can't really board a Horizon Q400 with a jetbridge, and some airports (San Fran for example) don't have facilities to allow non-jetbridge boarding.

The Q400 is still more efficient for up to 600nm stage lengths, and there are plenty of those within the Alaska Route Map.

None of the regionals for the big-3 US carriers operate props any more, the US market has hit the 'style over substance' point by insisting on jets.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CZBB
It's not a problem with the aircraft, it's an expectation thing with the passengers; and a facilities issue. Because of the overhead bin space, and the air-side bag check "A La Cart", you can't really board a Horizon Q400 with a jetbridge, and some airports (San Fran for example) don't have facilities to allow non-jetbridge boarding.
I've done jetbridges on the Q in FAI & YYC. ANC was set up for jetbridges as well I believe but it was shoulder season when we flew intrastate so normal ground boarding then.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I saw an ad that San Juan Airlines will be flying out of PAE. Great idea! You can then connect to drop right into the island or for those residents to be able to more easily get to the outside world!
Per their website, it doesn't look like they'll be using the terminal.

Pickup and drop off in Everett is at Castle and Cooke Aviation. Castle and Cooke is just across the parking lot from the new Airport Terminal at Paine Field. Parking is available but limited. The facility address is 9724 32nd Place West Everett, WA 98204.
jinglish likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Chugach
Why would they need an E75 base to send a E75 up there on PAE-ANC once a day? Worst case scenario if the plane goes mx in ANC, rebook everyone on one of the 15 to 20 daily ANC-SEA flights.

DL has scheduled the E75 in to FAI off and on for a few years now, so there’s some precedent for the type operating scheduled flights in Alaska, especially the real part of Alaska.
Historically the Q400 didn't do well there, and the thing about AS routing E175s is they're starting to route them through SEA on formerly mainline routes; I am seeing SFO/LAS/PHX-SEA on E75s to go along with PAE. Maybe they'd be willing to do SEA-ANC-PAE (and v.v.) routings...

(I suspect people wouldn't mind their upgrade chances on an E75...)
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Comfortable 2x2 seating, wider seats than 737...I definitely think you should pay a lot more to fly the 737-900ER to SEA.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Are there any actual rental car companies AT the airport yet (not requiring a shuttle bus)?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Are there any actual rental car companies AT the airport yet (not requiring a shuttle bus)?
No, but if you don’t mind the 5 minute shuttle ride, you’ll find the nicest staff I’ve ever dealt with at a rental car agency. They were very friendly at pickup, gave us a free tank of gas and waived the 3 hours we were late in dropping off the car.
JPat likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
My only gripe @PAE is the lack of parking alternatives when driving there.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JPat
My only gripe @PAE is the lack of parking alternatives when driving there.
Isn't it a "Paine?"

James
JPat, CREN and jsguyrus like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL
Is it your experience that security at PAE is slow? It moves like molasses. Fortunately, the planes are not large so there aren't many passengers. I'm not saying the lines are long. I'm saying that the speed per passenger is very slow. So slow that the ID checker has time to talk, such as to give a warning about Real ID needed by October 2020.

I suspect that the TSA has nothing else to do so they like to pull out bags to look a second time or to do a swab on it. The same thing with pat downs. However, the pat downs are not so bad because the bags are slow to be screened so you'll be pat down and finished before the bags come out.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I haven't checked out PAE yet, I've got a few flights coming up later this year and looking forward to checking it out. It is closer to home for me, being on the North end of the city... and the flights are priced well. Can often find some good deals are F/P/I fares on those E75's and while the FC experience isn't luxurious on them, it's usually a good value for the bonus miles.

The lack of a lounge does bother me... I know the whole airport is supposed to be nice but if I'm heading to Vegas for a bender I want to get started at the airport with some free drinks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.